Thread: Thinking of doing a little submod, if that's ok?

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Thinking of doing a little submod, if that's ok?

I'm thinking of throwing together a little something-something to make the campaign experience for primarily the Dogs of War but to an extent all factions a bit more enjoyable.
    1) replacing the DoW bodyguard unit from being the Grudgebringer cav bodyguard to a mounted version of the legion centurion guy on horseback (I chose this because I can't make new models, and all the required work will be text-based which I think I can do) with a changed recruitment criteria (So you don't need to capture the Grudgebringers' settlement to recruit extra generals, but instead just need to construct the requisite recruitment building like the Empire factions for example). If I can't make the mounted model work they'll just be on foot, probably named "Paymaster's Guards" and will be of the quality of Greatswords guards, or maybe a bit stronger as they will be the only bodyguard unit avaliable. (How I wish it were possible to keep all the various RoR units' bodyguard versions from the base mod, but alas the unit cap )
    2) I have noticed two problems with the lategame. Firstly, the DoW are unable to maintain positive public order in huge cities due to massive overpopulation. I don't know where exactly the population will shelf off at because I've never been able to reach that point without rebellions happening, but it has meant that I've had to periodically use the console to depopulate my cities to avoid having to repeatedly torch them. Secondly, every town and hamlet ends up becoming a giant metropolis which doesn't make any sense. So I propose a large population growth debuff on the Huge Walls/Citadel, so that population growth will shelf off at around 50-60k, and in addition to that a factionwide population growth debuff for each huge city/citadel a faction owns, meaning that a large empire (If you reconquer the entire Empire, for example) will hopefully have a few huge cities, with the other settlements remaining at the lower levels of development. This will mean that the player and AI will not be in a position where they have to repetitively purge their biggest settlements (Sorry Khorne).
    3) (And this is the one that I'm least confident I can achieve due to game limitations) I have a slight issue with Estalia. More specifically, I have an issue that the units currently available there (Heavy cav, Swordsmen, Pikes and Musketeers) look odd alongside the trebuchets and catapults that are the only artillery pieces the subfaction has access to. It results in a weird situation where you have pike-and-shotte style armies, but instead of cannons you have medieval age siege equipment. So I propose a new unit, one found in the DoW army book, light cannons. I would likely just use one of the existing cannon models (the smallest), and it would be a DoW exclusive unit available in the highest level siege workshop (Or a gunsmith if the gunsmith is in a separate building tree).
    4) In the lore, the Knights of the Blazing Sun were founded in a crusade to free Estalia from the predations of an Arabian sultan that had fallen to chaos. Therefore, I think it appropriate that the unit be available in the AoR region of Estalia to all factions, with the Knights of the Blazing Sun Bodyguards being available in Estalia and perhaps Tilea as well (If so, the regular Knights will be available there too). This will be especially good if I am unable to make my new DoW bodyguards be mounted.

So... do I have permission to do this? If so, I shall have something ready for your consideration within the week.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Default Re: Thinking of doing a little submod, if that's ok?

Sub-submods are always accepted and actively encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius View Post
    "Paymaster's Guards"
    We actually have a new core roster for DoW coming, including a Paymaster's Bodyguard.

...unable to maintain positive public order in huge cities due to massive overpopulation... ...every town and hamlet ends up becoming a giant metropolis which doesn't make any sense.
    All being fixed in the next patch already, too.

I propose a new unit, one found in the DoW army book, light cannons.
    Core DoW roster coming, sooo

4) In the lore, the Knights of the Blazing Sun were founded in a crusade to free Estalia from the predations of an Arabian sultan that had fallen to chaos. Therefore, I think it appropriate that the unit be available in the AoR region of Estalia to all factions, with the Knights of the Blazing Sun Bodyguards being available in Estalia and perhaps Tilea as well (If so, the regular Knights will be available there too). This will be especially good if I am unable to make my new DoW bodyguards be mounted.
    Also have plans for Knightly Orders in Tilea and Estalia. Blazing Sun definitely belong in both, and they're already getting them in Estalia so far. Some of the other orders fit elsewhere, too, like Morr and Encarmine in parts of Tilea. But already working on it.

So... do I have permission to do this? If so, I shall have something ready for your consideration within the week.
    Of course, I'm just letting you know what we're already doing so you don't try anything too redundant, but you're very welcome to make changes and release your own patch. Also, anything that we don't want to do, like adding a Cathay roster or dismounted Bretonnian Knights, or any other stuff are just things we're not doing in the base version, anyone else is totally welcome to add them to their own versions and release them.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Thinking of doing a little submod, if that's ok?

Great minds think alike, it seems In this case, I think I'll just wait for the patch haha
    Looking forward to seeing the new DoW core roster, it'll be cool to have some things just for them rather than their entire faction being made up of AoR units (even though they have first shot at some of the best AoR units in the game)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'