Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWC Downtime

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default TWC Downtime

This could be a long one so bear with me. I actually lost my cool over this, the wife said it wasn't pretty.

TWC's servers are in a data center on the 11th floor of a building in downtown Denver. Saturday afternoon (Christmas Eve) one of two main buss fuses between the 2nd and 3rd floor blew. This is the second time that exact same fuse has blown this year. I don't know how familiar most of you are with powering a large building, but when I say "fuse" this is a 4000 amp fuse that costs like $3,000 and it powers a big copper bar that runs up the walls in a shaft similar to an elevator shaft, something like this one. The first time it blew early in 2016 they just replaced it and never figured out why it blew. This time (Sat night) they still had no explanation why it blew, and instead of replacing it with an identical fuse they put in a slow blow fuse. A slow blow fuse is supposed to handle temporary surges way above its amp rating instead of blowing instantly.

In this instance that kicked us in the ass. What they failed to notice was that there was water in the main buss. Don't ask me where from, I have no idea and at this point I do not care. I am sure everyone involved wanted to go home because of Christmas Eve (I know I did) so they rushed it. Anyways, water got back into the buss and instead of blowing right off it kept power long enough for the water to run all the way around the fuse. At that point it didn't matter if the fuse blew or not, because the water was bridging both sides. It melted, and by that I mean completely freaking destroyed about 8-10 feet of that big copper buss. Everything above the 2nd floor in that building is completely dead.

The backup generators are in the basement....

Obviously you can see the problem. We have live power in the basement (both grid and generator), and no way to get it above floor #2. I found this out Tuesday at about noon. At that time I was told it would take 24 hours or so to get parts in and fix the problem. I wasn't freaking out too badly over TWC at this point, but I have 2 big clients of my own in that datacenter (VoIP, email servers, web servers, etc) and that isn't counting the 200 other servers in there. These are companies companies of all size that suddenly have no communications. My biggest client is in that building and they have 150 or so employees and they were completely dead in the water on Tuesday. So Tuesday night myself and a few other guys (datacenter owner, 2 guys from my client) humped a couple of portable generators (about 120 lbs each) up 11 flights of stairs and got the core systems up (routers and switches and stuff like that) and then powered up a few servers. I intentionally left TWC dark because while we all love TWC, it doesn't stop people from getting paid when it goes down, and we ran out of generators before we got all the businesses up anyways.

I should note here that we did not ask permission of the building superintendent to do this. He got a little bent out of shape over generators spewing fumes, even though most of them are chained on the fire escape outside. That is when he and I got into it and my wife freaked out. I think she thought I was going to throw him out the 11th floor window. This was about midnight on Tuesday. Anyways, that got my clients up and running for business on Weds and I spent the night at the datacenter on Tuesday making sure stuff stayed up and refilling gas tanks on generators. We have a rotation going for that by the way, more on that soon.

So I got home about 5 AM on Weds and took a nap, and at 8:30 my phone woke me up. The electricians in charge of fixing this mess discovered it was worse than they first thought. They had to jackhammer part of this thing out of the wall and floor, and they couldn't replace it with off the shelf parts. It seems this one was custom built for this building which isn't exactly uncommon, and the company that made it is in Indiana. They said they can build a new one, but it would take a couple of days and then it would have to be shipped in.

By this time I am really losing my mind. We (datacenter owner and I) got ahold of the building maintenance people and pretty much demanded they run a cable from a generator up the side of the building or tie it into the buss on the 4th floor or whatever. Something has to be done. He said he wasn't going to make that decision, it was up to the guy who actually owns the building who would be in town from Dallas in a few hours. He got into town around 5 PM or so on Weds, and spent a few hours talking with the electricians to try and figure something out.

Tying into the building buss isn't an option, because then they wont be able to work on it because it would be hot, and they still don't know where the water came from. Cables up the side of the building are out, the city of Denver is already all over this. The only time in my life I ever heard of a bureaucrat jumping on something this fast, but whatever. They did come up with a plan to separate the buss at the 4th or 5th floor where they have somewhat easier access, put in a couple of big lugs, and hardwire that to the live power in the basement by going down an elevator shaft. But that will not be done until sometime Friday afternoon, at best. And it will just be a band-aid anyways and it wont be power to the entire building. Mostly just the datacenter and lights in other offices. They are telling everyone to run only the basics, no microwaves or refrigerators, etc They worked on it all day today.

So today I made a few decisions. First, I got together with my client I mentioned earlier and came up with a long term plan to get us out of that building. Basically he is growing so much that he needs a dedicated connection for his business anyways, and then he can have his own servers in his own building so that if something like this happens again he can just fire up his own generators. We got with Comcast here in Denver and made plans for a dedicated 50 mbps fiber connection that can be turned up at anytime for speeds up to 1000 mbps. TWC uses about 8-10 and so we are going to absorb some of his cost there and put our servers in his building.

Dedicated fiber optic from someone like Comcast is expensive, we are talking like $3500 a month here, but its probably worth it. Power in the building becomes my problem, but its already my problem anyways the way things are working out here. And we are going to do it right, big battery backups and a dedicated diesel generator in case we need it. He already owns a 7500 watt generator, I already own tons of rack equipment and stuff like that. As long as the connection stays up we should be good, and we have a backup plan for that in his second office. We have to build a server room in his office just to keep everything secure, but it will take 90 days for Comcast to run the fiber into the building anyways so we have time to do that. They said we can be live 90 days after we sign a 3 year contract, and guarantee our bandwidth and uptime, and a maximum response time of 4 hours for any problems. We also get a dedicated network engineer. Each of their engineers only handles so many clients, and we have work, cell, and home numbers for 3 guys at Comcast.

But that's 90 days from now. Today we were still dead. So I got another generator and carried it up the 11 flights of stairs and brought up the main TWC server and switch, and a few more of the datacenters clients. The Vault server and TWC mail server and others are still down. Hopefully they have their band-aid in place and I can bring that up tomorrow.

Then sometime next week when they get the stuff back for a permanent fix, I will fire the generators back up and power one side of the TWC web server (it has dual power supplies) while they take the buss down and put stuff in. Then I can plug back into the building power and unplug from the generator without having to take the site down. Hopefully at least, but even if I have to take it down it should only be for a few minutes.

So from now until then there are 3 of us rotating duties at the datacenter so we can fill gas tanks and handle whatever else comes up. I am going to bed.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

Default Re: TWC Downtime

Thanks for the detailed post GED. Thanks for getting us back up and running, and good luck with everything going forward.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

So I am guessing this will be a much bigger venture than building Thor/Odin, eh?
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Awful timing.

So anything the community can do to help? Or just stay patient for a couple months?
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf's Avatar Civis

Holy crap, what a metric ton of bad luck...
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; December 30, 2016 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Yes but let's not accidentally bypass the censor.
    Checking out games for historical accuracy: http://bit.ly/HiGaVFYD
    Let's Plays: http://bit.ly/HjalfFeuer

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Thanks for the information GED, and thanks for getting on this so quickly, even if TWC obviously can't be the main priority when actual clients are involved.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

It would've been such a better story if you'd thrown him out the 11th floor, just saying. In seriousness thanks for the info GeD. It's scary/sad how much of a hole in my schedule TWC's absence leaves.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

thanks for the info GED and thanks for the work in refilling generators and all that
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

My only connection to the best friend I have ever had, through 7 wonderful years, is through this site. Why / how that is would be for that person to say, and it's a long story I suppose.

Anyway, suffice to say , perhaps, that You may never know just how important Your work and hassle was / is to some people. Thank You very much.

By the way, I have encountered Your temper before. Lol.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Cheers for the post GED, thank you.

That being said, I know how difficult datacenters are to manage... How will TWC function after these 3 months?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Thanks, GED - this sounds like a hell of a problem to solve.

Wow, astonishing dedication. Thanks so much for getting TWC back up. I was lost for the down days, since our whole mod team relies totally on this great site and the wonderful platform you provide. Thanks again for your level of commitment.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

well done fixing that mess, looking forward to the new server location. thanks

Ukiah's Avatar Decanus

Ohhhh thank goodness!! I thought I was banned.

Thanks for the detailed info GED and huge thanks for getting the site back up and running that fast. We are all very grateful for the hard work all the admins and moderators of our favourite TW site do here.

Best wishes and much energy for you for solving these overall company issues at this building!

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Damn Murphy's Law!!!

By batteries as backup, do you mean UPS (Uninterruptible Power System)?
    That's basically several batteries linked together in series with a bypass. While the relevant equipment is always powered up, the batteries can be charged, disconnected and/or taking over if the main power shuts down.
    I've seen a lot of them in my job. That's reliable and there are many models with different capacities. Through, that's still a temporary solution and it's quite expensive.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

One heck of a story, and well done under those circumstances GED

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Don't blame you for nearly losing your cool, that sounds like a nightmare!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Thanks for the help, you did a great job.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast