Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irish village forced to take 115 migrants despite 93% vote

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default Irish village forced to take 115 migrants despite 93% vote

The village of Lisdoonvarna, Co. Clare of 739 Irish residents has been allocated 115 migrants, mostly from Sub-Saharan Africa. Despite the town holding a ballot in which 93% of the residents said they didn't want such an influx, Minister for Justice and Equality David Stanton was heard on RTE One news saying that towns 'didn't have the right to say no'.

Chairman of Lisdoonvarna Failte Paddy Dundee called on the Irish government to heed the locals' wishes, saying:

“People in the village will be welcoming to a lesser number, but not 115. It is not about the asylum seekers coming, it is about the way in which the Government has conducted this, having no consultation and no facilities in place,” he said.
    The town has rejected plan s to increase the population by 38%, and rejects the direct provision that would otherwise be forced on them. Mass migration from the 3rd world will likely bring the crime and social tension it has also brought elsewhere.

So, an otherwise quiet village previously known only by a harmless Christy Moore folk song, has become a talking point of the mass immigration imposed on the Irish people. Only time will tell if the state, or the nation wins the debate. It highlights the ignorance of the Irish Government of its constituents, who are treated as subjects rather than citizens.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Default Re: Irish village forced to take 115 migrants despite 93% vote

Do not resist. You will also know the wonders of multiculturalism. Do no resist. Do not resist. Migrants make us strong. Do not resist. Migrants help our economy. Do no resist.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Oh great now Irish finally understand the feeling American had towards Irish migrants hundred years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Oh great now Irish finally understand the feeling American had towards Irish migrants hundred years ago.
    Let's wait for the first signs saying "no dogs, no blacks, no Irish".

On a more serious note, I think the Irish pro-mass-immigration people, among their emotive appeals to Irish migration history, are forgetting that their country is a puny island, unlike the USA.

P.S. I hope all the villagers opposed to taking in those "migrants" voted accordingly in the national elections. Otherwise, they'd be a tad hypocritical.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Unlike modern day migrants, the Irish in America didn't get benefits and free housing, nor did they come looking for benefits and for free housing, they came to be a part of the construction of a young country still being built, playing a vital role in the development of USA's 19th century infrastructure, particularly many of the early canal systems. The civilisation we call Ireland has been around a long time, and has already been built, and wants to be left alone.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Unlike modern day migrants, the Irish in America didn't get benefits and free housing, nor did they come looking for benefits and for free housing, they came to be a part of the construction of a young country still being built, playing a vital role in the development of USA's 19th century infrastructure, particularly many of the early canal systems.
    And that is not why Lisdoonvarna residents against the settling of those migrants; you article points out the main reason is the residents afraid that the sharp increase of population would overrun the small bureaucratic system the village has, which is a rational concern and one that also shared by 19th Century American. Besides who knows whether those new migrants can help Lisdoonvarna or not, like how Irish migrants did to US in the end.

The civilisation we call Ireland has been around a long time, and has already been built, and wants to be left alone.
    Yeah, and the first political Ireland was formed by English.

WUT?
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

The village of Lisdoonvarna, Co. Clare of 739 Irish residents has been allocated 115 migrants, mostly from Sub-Saharan Africa. Despite the town holding a ballot in which 93% of the residents said they didn't want such an influx, Minister for Justice and Equality David Stanton was heard on RTE One news saying that towns 'didn't have the right to say no'.

Chairman of Lisdoonvarna Failte Paddy Dundee called on the Irish government to heed the locals' wishes, saying:

The town has rejected plan s to increase the population by 38%, and rejects the direct provision that would otherwise be forced on them. Mass migration from the 3rd world will likely bring the crime and social tension it has also brought elsewhere.

So, an otherwise quiet village previously known only by a harmless Christy Moore folk song, has become a talking point of the mass immigration imposed on the Irish people. Only time will tell if the state, or the nation wins the debate. It highlights the ignorance of the Irish Government of its constituents, who are treated as subjects rather than citizens.
    This is quite misleading. The town is not a regular town. It's not some quiet little village. It's a spa town with a lot of hotels. The plan was to have one of those hotels house some immigrants as the owner of the hotel wanted to turn the hotel in to a provision center.
    The Armenian Issue

Interesting how the "multicultural experiment" in Ireland begins in such a small village. I assume that the population is rather old, and the excuse they are going to give is that the immigrants "bring new blood". Furthermore, it is remote enough so that the crimes that are going to start occurring are not going to make it into the news of big cities, and if they do, they will be minor news.

P.S. I hope all the villagers opposed to taking in those "migrants" voted accordingly in the national elections. Otherwise, they'd be a tad hypocritical.
    well, up until now, the issue of immigration may not have been important to them. By the time it becomes important to them, it may be far too late.

The difference (apart from the benefits issue that Aexodus pointed out) is that the Irish fully integrated to the US community. On the contrary, very few muslim immigrants have fully integrated to any European/western community, forming crime ghettoes instead, and becoming "radicalised" even those who are second generation. Just look at the number of Jihadis that Belgium has produced, for example.

The Truth is Hate for those who hate the Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Séverus Sńape View Post
    Do not resist. You will also know the wonders of multiculturalism. Do no resist. Do not resist. Migrants make us strong. Do not resist. Migrants help our economy. Do no resist.
    Lord knows how many of my countrymen live outside Ireland. Is your post ironic or hypocritical? I will now look forward to your Chinaman impression.

Enough of this sort of thing.

Last edited by mongrel; March 11, 2018 at 01:26 PM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by ioannis76 View Post
    The difference (apart from the benefits issue that Aexodus pointed out) is that the Irish fully integrated to the US community. On the contrary, very few muslim immigrants have fully integrated to any European/western community, forming crime ghettoes instead, and becoming "radicalised" even those who are second generation. Just look at the number of Jihadis that Belgium has produced, for example.
    How do you know they would not integrate? I think you completely ignore the fact that one of reasons why late 19th Century American distrust those Irish/Italian/Greek migrants was because they were often forming crime organization, particularly the Italian migrants.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Lord knows how many of my countrymen live outside Ireland. Is your post ironic or hypocritical? I will now look forward to your Chinaman impression.

Enough of this sort of thing.
    It's more satirical. Read it in your best Angela Merkel voice and you might find it more obvious. Also, I can explain how multiculturalism is different from a meting pot if you're still under the false impression that multiculturalism implies assimilation. I'll give you a hint: one solution is a lose/lose while the other is a win/win.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; March 11, 2018 at 02:09 PM.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Melting pot only sort of worked. Even the Irish who assimilated ended up adding aspects of their own culture to American culture. It wasn't complete assimilation.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    This is quite misleading. The town is not a regular town. It's not some quiet little village. It's a spa town with a lot of hotels. The plan was to have one of those hotels house some immigrants as the owner of the hotel wanted to turn the hotel in to a provision center.
    If you'd bothered reading those links I gave, you would see that the hotelier said he would respect the village's wishes. And a population of 739, is definitely a village, if not a small town. And an historic one at that.

The issue is that the Irish government clearly takes a different view to the locals.

The melting pot absolutely worked. This is why I have an addiction to Mexican food and many of the businesses owned in my city are owned by Asian Americans who work very, very hard. Melting pot absolutely works. Only groups who resist assimilation typically do poorly, such as African Americans where many of them are denigrated by other African Americans for 'acting white' and taking school seriously. This is all rather anecdotal but if anyone wants to refute these general statements we can have a wider discussion about it.

If you'd bothered reading those links I gave, you would see that the hotelier said he would respect the village's wishes. And a population of 739, is definitely a village, if not a small town. And an historic one at that.

The issue is that the Irish government clearly takes a different view to the locals.
    Thanks for ignoring everything I said while responding to my post...
    The Armenian Issue

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

The melting pot absolutely worked. This is why I have an addiction to Mexican food and many of the businesses owned in my city are owned by Asian Americans who work very, very hard. Melting pot absolutely works. Only groups who resist assimilation typically do poorly, such as African Americans where many of them are denigrated by other African Americans for 'acting white' and taking school seriously. This is all rather anecdotal but if anyone wants to refute these general statements we can have a wider discussion about it.
    It works because those people never completely assimilated. They brought aspects of their own culture and it became American culture or influenced it like Mexican food you mentioned.

Mentioning African-Americans is a poor choice as they were slaves and then treated as second-class citizens for a long time.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

This is really the only example that you think of when you mention African Americans. Oh the perils of multiculturalism.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    Thanks for ignoring everything I said while responding to my post...
    What you said was that a hotelier wanted to settle 115 migrants in a village of 739. He also said he would respect the wishes of the current native residents if they objected. I don't see what I missed out tbh. Just because it has a lot of hotels changes the fact that increasing the population by 38% against the residents' wishes is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    This is really the only example that you think of when you mention African Americans. Oh the perils of multiculturalism.
    Ireland has enough multicultural/sectarian problems, and a history of it. It doesn't need Muslims who think women shouldn't be allowed outside thrown into the mix.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Aexodus; March 11, 2018 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    It works because those people never completely assimilated. They brought aspects of their own culture and it became American culture or influenced it like Mexican food you mentioned.

Mentioning African-Americans is a poor choice as they were slaves and then treated as second-class citizens for a long time.
    Well, American-Mexican food is way different than traditional Mexican food. All that aside, Asian Americans, Irish Americans, Catholics, Poles, Germans, and Japanese immigrants were also treated as second class citizens for a long time. The difference is varying degrees of assimilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    No, which would be obvious if you bothered to read the rest of my post.

What you said was that a hotelier wanted to settle 115 migrants in a village of 739. He also said he would respect the wishes of the current native residents if they objected. I don't see what I missed out tbh. Just because it has a lot of hotels changes the fact that increasing the population by 38% against the residents' wishes is wrong.
    The plan wasn't to make homes for immigrants to settle in permanently. The idea was to use the hotel as a temporary location for asylum seekers to use while their application is processed. The hotel will have a capacity to house 115 asylum seekers, not that there will be 115 people there the next day. The owner of the hotel already signed the contract as well which is a one-year deal. What you described this situation as was quite misleading as I already pointed out. The population of the town doesn't rise actually.
    The Armenian Issue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast