Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lauren Southern Detained at Calais, Barred U.K. Entry

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default Lauren Southern Detained at Calais, Barred U.K. Entry

https://www.rt.com/uk/421030-free-sp...artin-sellner/
    http://canoe.com/news/world/perma-ba...auren-southern
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/r...-a3787886.html

Lauren Southern, a Canadian conservative activist was recently blocked from entering the UK on grounds of the schedule 7 terrorist act due to alleged racism. Southern says that she intended to interview the former EDL leader and fellow activist Tommy Robinson.

She was refused entry after it was deemed her presence “was not conducive to the public good”, the Home Office said.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

During her questioning she was also asked whether she was a Christian radical, and how she would feel about Muslims being ran over by cars.

Lauren is not the first right-wing commentator to be barred from entering the UK. Brittany Pettibone was also removed from the country earlier this month. Is it a case of hate-speech, or an infringement of free speech? Or better yet, political censorship by the British authorities.
    Last edited by Aexodus; March 12, 2018 at 01:02 PM.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Default Re: Lauren Southern Detained at Calais, Barred U.K. Entry

Such political actions against social critic constitute a fundamental violation of free speech. I feel like I should be out on the street protesting such injustices, since it seems our fundamental freedoms are being eroded away without anyone even noticing or caring.

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Brittany Pettibone was arrested for 3 days and banned from the UK because she wanted to interview Tommy Robinson.
    Thats it.
    Yep, 2018, Al-Britaniya.

If only they were as careful with everybody who wishes to enter the country... Well, if nothing else, it'll mean more publicity for LS and a thorough embarrassment for the British government, which is again showing its true Totalitarian colours.

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    took an arrow to the knee

Non-Disclosure, i'm quite ignorant to who she is and what she may have said in the past. But from a preliminary look i'm dead against no-platforming in general...and supposedly the Conservative government is too- they've made a big thing over the past few months about no-platforming at Universities, even setting up a specific board to oversee and punish uni's that in their view attempt to 'ban' speakers who are politically controversial. A useless gesture as actually this isn't a problem in British Universities, its very rare for a speaker to not be given a platform or be 'uninvited'- There is an issue with right and left wing 'interrupting' protests...but that is something that literally has happened for centuries (Not necessarily left and right of course!)- Thinking here KCL having LSE students smash up some of its departments a few years ago due to institutional rivalry. Universities currently are allowing for a wide-range of speakers across the spectrum and are doing a rather good job (From my perspective as a student at least) at providing a myriad of views. The Conservatives of course are trying to fabricate the narrative with the whole 'Uni's are restricting free speech' for political ends- much the same as their take on the current Professors strike and issues regarding staff pay, its part of a means to scapegoat universities riding on the 'we hate experts' vibes- if i was a cynic i would even suggest its due to the lack of Conservative voting young people too, May lashing out at their institutions...and not the fact that Conservative policy is laughable currently as the reason for their lack of support.

My badgering the Tories aside- the point i'm making is that with this context of a supposed championing of 'free speech' and the ticking off of Universities for an imaginary issue, its rather amusing to see the government seem to not be practicing what they preach in this case.

Of course a balance to this would be that the UK technically does not have 'freedom of speech' in the sense i feel that many of the above posters are pointing out. Likewise i'm unaware if she has ever tried to 'do an ISIS'(tm) in terms of trying to recruit (for want of a better word) people to a destructive viewpoint that could cause physical harm to others. But if she's just the usual generic far-right Hopkins moron, its better that she be allowed to air her views in the media and public so that people can judge them...and probably laugh at them for a while- it would help create political stability by allowing these views to be discredited- banning or stopping them tends to have the habit of not only giving them the 'wrong' type of publicity but also by driving these views underground they tend to spread faster as they remain unchallenged and ignored by facts (See the whole issue of the reality of UK immigration over the past decade vs public perception of it- the two are radically different pictures in terms of numbers and origin).
    Last edited by Dante Von Hespburg; March 12, 2018 at 04:07 PM.
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    Non-Disclosure, i'm quite ignorant to who she is and what she may have said in the past. But from a preliminary look i'm dead against no-platforming in general...and supposedly the Conservative government is too- they've made a big thing over the past few months about no-platforming at Universities, even setting up a specific board to oversee and punish uni's that in their view attempt to 'ban' speakers who are politically controversial. A useless gesture as actually this isn't a problem in British Universities, its very rare for a speaker to not be given a platform or be 'uninvited'- There is an issue with right and left wing 'interrupting' protests...but that is something that literally has happened for centuries (Not necessarily left and right of course!)- Thinking here KCL having LSE students smash up some of its departments a few years ago due to institutional rivalry. Universities currently are allowing for a wide-range of speakers across the spectrum and are doing a rather good job (From my perspective as a student at least) at providing a myriad of views. The Conservatives of course are trying to fabricate the narrative with the whole 'Uni's are restricting free speech' for political ends- much the same as their take on the current Professors strike and issues regarding staff pay, its part of a means to scapegoat universities riding on the 'we hate experts' vibes- if i was a cynic i would even suggest its due to the lack of Conservative voting young people too, May lashing out at their institutions...and not the fact that Conservative policy is laughable currently as the reason for their lack of support.
    No-platforming is absolutely distinct from state institutions detaining people for voicing views they deem to be, according to the original post, "not conductive to the public good".

My badgering the Tories aside- the point i'm making is that with this context of a supposed championing of 'free speech' and the ticking off of Universities for an imaginary issue, its rather amusing to see the government seem to not be practicing what they preach in this case.
    Aside from some fluff proposed by the Minister of Universities, what legislative steps have the government taken to expand the scope of free speech in the United Kingdom? If the answer, as I suspect, is nothing, then I don't see where you're drawing the conclusion that the "government seems not to be practicing what they preach".

Of course a balance to this would be that the UK technically does not have 'freedom of speech' in the sense i feel that many of the above posters are pointing out. Likewise i'm unaware if she has ever tried to 'do an ISIS'(tm) in terms of trying to recruit (for want of a better word) people to a destructive viewpoint that could cause physical harm to others. But if she's just the usual generic far-right Hopkins moron, its better that she be allowed to air her views in the media and public so that people can judge them...and probably laugh at them for a while- it would help create political stability by allowing these views to be discredited- banning or stopping them tends to have the habit of not only giving them the 'wrong' type of publicity but also by driving these views underground they tend to spread faster as they remain unchallenged and ignored by facts (See the whole issue of the reality of UK immigration over the past decade vs public perception of it- the two are radically different pictures in terms of numbers and origin).
    I too would be interested to see if Southern has ever directly encouraged violence or terrorism.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    No-platforming is absolutely distinct from state institutions detaining people for voicing views they deem to be, according to the original post, "not conductive to the public good".
    Legally distinct sure, but the premise from a 'free speech' perspective is the same- People being barred from speaking by institutions and people being barred for entering the country due to what they might say to others are similar areas for this debate to had- the end result is the same.

Aside from some fluff proposed by the Minister of Universities, what legislative steps have the government taken to expand the scope of free speech in the United Kingdom? If the answer, as I suspect, is nothing, then I don't see where you're drawing the conclusion that the "government seems not to be practicing what they preach".
    May's big drive if we all recall from her speech regarding no platforming in the commons (Please don't ask me to find it, it'll take me hours trawling through the PMQ's footage over the past few months )- was big on 'Universities should do more for free speech etc etc' The Minister of Universities and the body set up to oversee Universities are part of this, with indeed their attendant fluff. What i'm saying is that Universities did not need an 'expansion' of free speech- it was already there, there was no real issue, but one drummed up for political gain, particularly for a government lacking the ability to pass real legislation, it was an issue they could fabricate, drum up and then look to do something about with no political capital having to be spent. That's the part i'm tying into this- that for a government to publicly extol 'free speech' as one of their cornerstones when it comes to 'open' debate as they have been- to then effectively mess up on so many levels (Snoopers, Gig-economy act, issues surrounding the back and forth between civil protections post-brexit to name a few other sign posts) and essentially allow for things like this happening, is a wee bit hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    Legally distinct sure, but the premise from a 'free speech' perspective is the same- People being barred from speaking by institutions and people being barred for entering the country due to what they might say to others are similar areas for this debate to had- the end result is the same.
    It is not the same: the difference between the state detaining, imprisoning or barring an individual entry to the country and a university or private institution refusing to provide a certain speaker with a venue is significant. The state's determinations with respect to which views are acceptable is overwhelmingly more consequential than the determinations of a university's PR department on the same issue. Banning someone from entering the country is a substantial decision: banning them from a localized space (such as a university campus) is not.

May's big drive if we all recall from her speech regarding no platforming in the commons (Please don't ask me to find it, it'll take me hours trawling through the PMQ's footage over the past few months )- was big on 'Universities should do more for free speech etc etc' The Minister of Universities and the body set up to oversee Universities are part of this, with indeed their attendant fluff. What i'm saying is that Universities did not need an 'expansion' of free speech- it was already there, there was no real issue, but one drummed up for political gain, particularly for a government lacking the ability to pass real legislation, it was an issue they could fabricate, drum up and then look to do something about with no political capital having to be spent. That's the part i'm tying into this- that for a government to publicly extol 'free speech' as one of their cornerstones when it comes to 'open' debate as they have been- to then effectively mess up on so many levels (Snoopers, Gig-economy act, issues surrounding the back and forth between civil protections post-brexit to name a few other sign posts) and essentially allow for things like this happening, is a wee bit hypocritical.
    There were certain issues cropping up with respect to free speech within universities: most of them related to over-zealous student unions attempting to censor views they disagreed with. For instance, I recall the City University of London's union banning the Mail and the Sun from the campus - an embarrassment for a university known for excelling in journalism.

Notwithstanding, I've seen virtually nothing from the government to indicate that they have an interest in expanding free-speech legislation in the United Kingdom. The Tories might make a fuss about conservative views being occasionally "censored" at universities (see above), but that isn't synonymous with a genuine interest in free-speech. They don't even present themselves as advocates of liberal speech codes: if anything they're more interested in showing everyone how eager they are to crack down on social media, online "abuse" and the use of "grossly offensive" language.

It is not the same: the difference between the state detaining, imprisoning or barring an individual entry to the country and a university or private institution refusing to provide a certain speaker with a venue is significant. The state's determinations with respect to which views are acceptable is overwhelmingly more consequential than the determinations of a university's PR department on the same issue. Banning someone from entering the country is a substantial decision: banning them from a localized space (such as a university campus) is not.
    Universities technically aren't private though. They are partly publicly funded (Both in terms of state-backed Student Finance England, but also they are directly allocated subsidies and budgets by the state for teaching, research etc) and are state regulated- They like schools have to receive their charter through the state, you can't actually just 'start up' a University. So i get what your saying, it is mixed, but they are primarily public bodies, particularly when it comes to fostering debate and discourse. And this is why i would conflate the too as again your perfectly right, i would add though in terms of 'free speech' as an overarching theme banning someone from speaking, and banning someone from going to a place to speak are the same issue when it comes to shutting down debate (They are different in terms of the what this means specifically for the legal system, politics etc).

There were certain issues cropping up with respect to free speech within universities: most of them related to over-zealous student unions attempting to censor views they disagreed with. For instance, I recall the City University of London's union banning the Mail and the Sun from the campus - an embarrassment for a university known for excelling in journalism.

Notwithstanding, I've seen virtually nothing from the government to indicate that they have an interest in expanding free-speech legislation in the United Kingdom. The Tories might make a fuss about conservative views being occasionally "censored" at universities (see above), but that isn't synonymous with a genuine interest in free-speech. They don't even present themselves as advocates of liberal speech codes: if anything they're more interested in showing everyone how eager they are to crack down on social media, online "abuse" and the use of "grossly offensive" language.
    I would say this is more the extreme rather than the norm, iirc only 20 or so Universities in the UK have ever banned a speaker- and this varies from reason to reason of course, though arguably that is still bad, but considering the number of Uni's in the UK- its not a widespread issue, and in the case of City University of London it was the union passing a motion that the University then did not implement if i remember rightly- though of course it was silly in the first place. Again though the examples you provide do have merit and are worth disparaging in terms of the damage it does to open discussion and debate, but its not the big political issue the Conservatives have painted, the UK's universities again being by and large institutions of open debate.

I think too maybe we're talking the same line from different angles- I agree with your statements, what i'm saying is the Conservatives made a big song and dance politically about championing free speech- and then do this- what they say and do indeed are two different things and something that should be abhorred.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Many people are denied entry to many countries and sometimes the denial is because of political views. Nothing new with this one instance. Among others, I do recall some of the IRA fanatics could not enter the USA to fund raise and spread their words.

For example: Gerry Adams who refused to renounce violence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

That does seem a bit related to the questioning by the customs people before denial of entry.

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

The US didn't let in Irish terrorists or Gerry Adams and that's the same?

If British police can sit there are babysit Islamist nitwits holding signs about beheading people then they can let in a person who called Muhammad gay, as a litmus test, after a liberal online rag called Jesus gay, as a litmus test. Nobody died in the case of calling Jesus gay and I guess nobody will have to die in the UK as a result of barring this person from entering. Or was she supposed to be the dangerous one?

There is nothing worse than a difficult conversation, except the war you will fight if you don't have it.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Quote Originally Posted by mrmouth View Post
    The US didn't let in Irish terrorists or Gerry Adams and that's the same?

If British police can sit there are babysit Islamist nitwits holding signs about beheading people
    US citizens funded the IRA via NORAID.
    Err---- those nitwits are either dead or in jail. There organisation folded 7 years ago. At that point your argument imploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithradates View Post
    Brittany Pettibone was arrested for 3 days and banned from the UK because she wanted to interview Tommy Robinson.
    Thats it.
    Yep, 2018, Al-Britaniya.

Mmm Tommy Robinson, violent convict or ex-convict depending on time of year, convicted fraudster, a freind of Anders Breivik, whoise writing prompted Darren Osborne to kill an old man 100s of miles away. . No loss.
    Last edited by Katsumoto; March 13, 2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: continuity
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Our media is largely right wing, owned by tax-exiles such as Murdoch .Only the Mirror is 'left wing' and the Guardian is liberal. Other than the Times and FT the rest are rabidy right wing.
    There are many other highly influential media outlets in the United Kingdom which are not "rabidly right wing": The Independent, ITV, Channel 4 and the BBC spring to mind.
    Last edited by Cope; March 13, 2018 at 01:21 AM.

There are many other highly influential media outlets in the United Kingdom which are not "rabidly right wing": The Independent, ITV, Channel 4 and the BBC spring to mind.
    The Independent is just that, owned by a Russian oligarch. Pro -Cameron if my memory is correct. There is also the London Evening Standard, editior is one Gideon Osborne. The rest are certainly not 'left wing' as implied by I_D. Every one of these outlets covered such events in great detail, including headline photos /footage of those convicted. I don't think I need to post links, we must have all read them in the UK, if not abroad.It takes a special kind of thinking to suggest that never happened (100%).
    Last edited by mongrel; March 13, 2018 at 02:46 AM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Many people are denied entry to many countries and sometimes the denial is because of political views. Nothing new with this one instance. Among others, I do recall some of the IRA fanatics could not enter the USA to fund raise and spread their words.

For example: Gerry Adams who refused to renounce violence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

That does seem a bit related to the questioning by the customs people before denial of entry.
    There's a difference between not letting someone enter your country because they aided or are actually terrorists, and not letting someone enter your country because they hold conservative beliefs. They are denied entry because what they do, not what they think.

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Mmm Tommy Robinson, violent convict or ex-convict depending on time of year, convicted fraudster, a freind of Anders Breivik, whoise writing prompted Darren Osborne to kill an old man 100s of miles away. . No loss.
    Oh, but it is a loss... for the UK.

Handcuffing and detaining a US journalist for 3 days, than banning her from the UK for life because she planned to make an interview? Really? Bonus points for banning Sellner the same way for planning to give a speech at Speakers Corner(!) in the Hyde Park

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

US citizens funded the IRA via NORAID.
    Err---- those nitwits are either dead or in jail. There organisation folded 7 years ago. At that point your argument imploded.
    [IMG]https://goo.gl/images/r9Kpp8[/IMG]

It's a disgrace convicted terrorists can stand for public office royal pardon or not, yet a dissenting opinion cant even enter the country. Imagine being so scared of someone's opinion you ban them.
    Last edited by Aexodus; March 14, 2018 at 01:39 PM.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Europeans sure love infringing on free speech.

The Guardian is liberal? Compared to whom - Hitler?
    This affair is a disgrace for the UK, regardless of where you stand.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    The Guardian is liberal? Compared to whom - Hitler?
    This affair is a disgrace for the UK, regardless of where you stand.
    https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-guardian/

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast