Thread: Steam summer sales

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Steam summer sales

Lord Gaben has spoken. Steam summer sales are on, so feel free to share with us your buying schedule.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 21, 2018 at 03:28 PM.

Centenarius

Default Re: Steam summer sales

Pros/cons of the Desert Kingdoms DLC these days? I have bought every DLC for Rome II except the last two. Very hesitant to give CA more money since I bought Attila.

Pros: Unlocks the desert factions.

Cons: Locks the desert factions that were previously playable....

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Centenarius

Yeah, I realized the BS of the whole Desert Kingdoms DLC thing. But I was wondering if it brought enough new things to the game that would make it worth even just $7? Is the quality of the new units up to the latest units in DEI? Are there any other features or assets that one gets by purchasing it? Or is it literally just being able to play those factions once again with DEI?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Yeah, I realized the BS of the whole Desert Kingdoms DLC thing. But I was wondering if it brought enough new things to the game that would make it worth even just $7? Is the quality of the new units up to the latest units in DEI? Are there any other features or assets that one gets by purchasing it? Or is it literally just being able to play those factions once again with DEI?
    I’d probably buy all the DLC for Rome 2 if they would patch in naval combat fixes to let all ships land and add family trees. Until that I struggle with Rome 2 DLC even on sale. Fortunately DeI has saved the base game for me so I really do enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Nothing new AFAIK.

CenturiO-LuciuS-VorenuS's Avatar Civis
    Germany, Kaiserslautern, Rheinland-Pfalz near by a small proportion of the Limes

I think what would interest most people including me.
    Is there an argument to buy one of the official DLCs and whether
    you can really benefit from owning one of the official DLCs?
    Of course in combination with DeI because who would really play without it ?

I already own most of them except
    Hannibal at the Gates
    Wrath of Sparta
    Black Sea Colonies
    Pirates and Raiders
    Desert Kingdoms
    I do not even mention the two other scifi unit packs
    Daughters of Mars
    Beasts of War
    Last edited by CenturiO-LuciuS-VorenuS; June 21, 2018 at 07:39 PM.

Marcus Antonius> Caesar has many more legions than the Thirteenth
    Scipio>Yes, on the far side of the Alps
    Marcus Antonius> Winter does not last forever. Spring comes. Snows melt.
    Scipio>That is a threat!
    Marcus Antonius> No, I assure you, that is no threat. Snows always melt.

Well, they mostly offer mini campaigns (not my cup of tea) or they just unlock a few interesting factions.

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

The only "DLC" of a total war game that I regret right now is Warhammer I... I really enjoy Warhammer 2, and especially the Mortal Empires campaign, but it seems like I only own the first game and it's DLC so I can properly play that campaign. Warhammer I isn't even loaded on my PC! Every other Total war game is still loaded on the off chance that I play them today, but not Warhammer...

As far as the summer sale goes, it seems like I am only filling out some DLCs rather than buying many new games. I got the remaining DLC for Panzer Corp - a hex based WWII game that scratches a certain itch for cheap. They have a bunch of mini campaigns that were $5 apiece and never seemed to go on sale. Now at last I got them at a price I am willing to pay.

Also I am looking at the DLCs on Crusader Kings 2 - but even on sale the price for everything must go up towards $200! Maybe I'll add a couple of cheap old DLCs, but with Paradox games I feel like I can never truly own the full title - there are so many tiny pieces of content that it seems like a subscription fee! I want to buy Stellaris on sale, but the same issue arises - I would have to pay $100 just add things to a game that I might barely play.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmafia2020 View Post
    Also I am looking at the DLCs on Crusader Kings 2 - but even on sale the price for everything must go up towards $200! Maybe I'll add a couple of cheap old DLCs, but with Paradox games I feel like I can never truly own the full title - there are so many tiny pieces of content that it seems like a subscription fee! I want to buy Stellaris on sale, but the same issue arises - I would have to pay $100 just add things to a game that I might barely play.
    I used to love Paradox, as they were IMO (at that time) one of the last gaming developers that actually cared about creating quality games.

In a way I think they are still doing that, but like most spoiled Western businesses they seem to expect to be paid outrageously for their work. I get how their DLC policy works (release half finished games, then keep working on them for 5 years, until they are actually polished after the n-th DLC), but I personally REALLY despise that approach.
    I mean, back in the day, most people expect the level of finish/polish to be close to what these games have YEARS after release, and many (rather pricey) DLCs later.
    Just look at HoI4, for example. That game has been around for 2 years now, and they aren`t even close to making in polished. Yet they released a number of DLCs, and in order to own the full game you need to invest, what, 100 euros?

P.S. CA isn`t any better while we are at that. IMO, they are even worse. In short, don`t give money to ANY of them, if you can help it. Cheers.
    Outrageous, absolutely outrageous.

I'm considering:

-Day of Infamy
    -Rising Storm 2: Vietnam
    -Next Day
    -WHII

If you've played any of these I would be happy to hear about your experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by CenturiO-LuciuS-VorenuS View Post
    I think what would interest most people including me.
    Is there an argument to buy one of the official DLCs and whether
    you can really benefit from owning one of the official DLCs?
    Of course in combination with DeI because who would really play without it ?

I already own most of them except
    Hannibal at the Gates
    Wrath of Sparta
    Black Sea Colonies
    Pirates and Raiders
    Desert Kingdoms
    I do not even mention the two other scifi unit packs
    Daughters of Mars
    Beasts of War
    The two campaigns are worth picking up

Though the dlc itself adds nothing to the main campaign a certain mod changes the Wrath of Sparta campaign into the Macedonian wars.

HaTG is worth it for the campaign especially multiplayer as I would reckon this is where it shines the most. Also it unlocks Arevaci, Lusitani and Syracuse in the grand campaign.

The culture packs in the context of DEI are only in their abilty to unlock factions.

As for Daughters of Mars and Beasts of War their wearing the wrong sort of lazer pistols and light sabers to be mythologically accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmafia2020 View Post

Sales are the best time to get any dlc. Eu4 and CK2 may look like there is alot of dlc but if you deduct all the fluff and just concentrate on the actual expansions that thins it out alot. Out of those those expansions it really is selective out of which you might need in either to unlock factions or to enhance game mechanics. Stellaris is a relatively newer game so there is alot less. The base game of CK2 has enough content to play as a christian ruler (the same as the orignal CK1 game) and three start dates in itself to be getting on with. Remember that the dlc sales have funded the free updates to the game since its luanch. As for what dlc to get that really depends on what interests you as you play the game more you will get a feel for it. Just get the base game and play that to get a feel of the game before commiting as they go on sale quite frequently.

"... I feel like I can never truly own the full title" this is a mindset alot of people have with needing to have all the content in games regardless of whether they actually need it or use it. Just try to be a good consumer.

As for me I can't believe I got Total War Attila for less than a tenner
    Last edited by herne_the _hunter; June 23, 2018 at 03:44 AM.

Nordling's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Pros: Unlocks the desert factions.

Cons: Locks the desert factions that were previously playable....
    Hahahahaha, Dresden you made my day

elementall's Avatar Libertus

I'm in steam right now with my credit card. I think I did not understand, I ask again, for other factions and use them in DEI, I need to acquire the DLC so they unlock, right?

Quote Originally Posted by elementall View Post
    I'm in steam right now with my credit card. I think I did not understand, I ask again, for other factions and use them in DEI, I need to acquire the DLC so they unlock, right?
    It depends. Which factions you would like to unlock ? You could easily check that by reading each DLC's info, usually the Culture packs only unlock factions and nothing else. I'm not on STEAM now so I can't tell you exactly what each pack unlocks.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 23, 2018 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    It dependσ. Which factions you would like to unlock ? You could easily check that by reading each DLC's info, usually the Culture packs only unlock factions and nothing else. I'm not on STEAM now so I can't tell you exactly what each pack unlocks.
    for now none in particular, but if I wanted to with Athens I should buy the DLC greek states, ok?

That's correct.

great, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by elementall View Post
    great, thanks!