Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carthage AI completely broken

Default Carthage AI completely broken

Seriously since the new DEI verion AI Carthage is probably the weakest faction in game. I usually play as Rome and I really liked the DEI Carthage, cos it was really a challenge to overcome their naval and land power. I started the game like 5 times now only to see Carthage destroyed in less then 50 turns by a combination of syrakousai/desert/spanish tribes. It's not that they're weak, it's just that AI is not even moving armies or recruiting. I see Cartrhaginian armies moving on map every 5 turns or something like that. It just looks like AI freezes for a few turns repeatedly.

ScipioTheGreat's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Carthage AI completely broken

Though a lot of the issues with the AI are hard coded, I do feel your pain. The AI is absolutely terrible at fighting on multiple fronts, and Carthage usually ends up on 3, not to mention the sea and territories it holds there. And of course, you have their client states which spend most of the time just sitting around

As any player that loves playing as Rome, one can only wish Carthage’s power would be restored!

Quote Originally Posted by ScipioTheGreat View Post
    Though a lot of the issues with the AI are hard coded, I do feel your pain. The AI is absolutely terrible at fighting on multiple fronts, and Carthage usually ends up on 3, not to mention the sea and territories it holds there. And of course, you have their client states which spend most of the time just sitting around

As any player that loves playing as Rome, one can only wish Carthage’s power would be restored!
    I honestly haven't seen this before 1.2. Carthage was having some trouble in Spain, sure, but it definitely hasn't been losing all of Sicily to Syrakuse, and it's core african regions to Igharmen (or sth like that). Numidian vasslas were pretty OP imo in the previous patch, Maessyli recruiting like 4x20 unit armies from 2 african villages and destroying absolutely everything on their path. Now their just wondering aimlessly until Carthage is totally in shambles.
    AI have clearly huge problems with assessment of it's situation - in my games while losing war with Syrakuse (lol) due to withdrawing all forces from Sicily, it suddenly decided that declaring additional war on Turdetani and Igharmen would be a great idea.
    Well, I'll wait for some patches cos it might be a problem with Rome 2 itself, we'll see.

I agree, Carthage was better before the unit overhaul. I am not sure how much actual faction scripting was changed, but man, they just crumple now.

Black_Rider's Avatar Ordinarius

Yeah I see this too, Carthage is really weak now, in my Egypt campaign at around turn 30 Carthage capital was occupied by Syracuse, I didn't see this happen before. It's a pity because Carthage should be a major power at the start of campaign, stronger than Rome, I suppose. I have hope that creators of this wonderful mod can fix that problem.

This is something I have noticed as well. It almost seems like the autoresolve buff they get isn't working.

I gave them an extra 3000 denarii per turn and an advantage in diplomatic relations. That helped them build, and stay out of too many wars. They created a great alliance and were a great challenge.
    This seems to be quite a racist comment. The Guals did a lot more than "wonder around pillaging";
    It's not as if they were a bunch of dirty, stinking, fatherless Huns.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by macu67 View Post
    Seriously since the new DEI verion AI Carthage is probably the weakest faction in game. I usually play as Rome and I really liked the DEI Carthage, cos it was really a challenge to overcome their naval and land power. I started the game like 5 times now only to see Carthage destroyed in less then 50 turns by a combination of syrakousai/desert/spanish tribes. It's not that they're weak, it's just that AI is not even moving armies or recruiting. I see Cartrhaginian armies moving on map every 5 turns or something like that. It just looks like AI freezes for a few turns repeatedly.
    I think its an Ai thing, im playing as parthia, invading ze seleucid (which is huge now at turn 110) they are fighting on multiple fronts and i see 6 full stacks stuck in one position, doing nothing, confused on where to go. Not near a settlement just stuck out in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by T2av View Post
    I think its an Ai thing, im playing as parthia, invading ze seleucid (which is huge now at turn 110) they are fighting on multiple fronts and i see 6 full stacks stuck in one position, doing nothing, confused on where to go. Not near a settlement just stuck out in the open.
    Yeah, the bigger the AI gets, the harder it is for it to get it`s head out of it`s behind.

I always found 1 settlement factions to be the biggest challenge (in early game, of course).

Worst of all if you still play with the mods cultural tensio and De AI Arbitriis, Carthago is literally taken apart. Good for Rome, so it only has to compete against small states but it is still not nice to play. Alone because the history moves into the distance ...

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Moscavich View Post
    This is something I have noticed as well. It almost seems like the autoresolve buff they get isn't working.
    We'll probably need to check that again. I think Dresden made sure it works though.

I will check it again, maybe I missed something.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Just by comparing Syracusan forces that take the Carthaginian cities on Sicily over the last three Rome campaigns. Normally one 20 stack will be defeated by even a level 2 Carthaginian city due to the autoresolve bonus they get. But they kept getting taken even with full garrisons.

In my latest Macedon file they lost Sicily to Rome, who gets an autoresolve buff vs other AI so that made more sense.
    But the rate at which they are losing cities in Iberia to Iberian tribes and in sicily to Syracuse specificly makes me feel like the auto resolve bonus isn't working.

On that note, while Rome is expanding, it seems like they are losing small cities in situations they weren't previously. So it may not be limited to Carthage.

Selecuids have also been losing towns far quicker now that I think about it.

Ok, its possible the script isn't working for some reason.

Well, glad everyone pointed it out. I finally found the issue, a small mistake in the autoresolve script was causing it not to function. So that is why the major factions have been suffering. Here is a fix pack for it that should resolve the issue (no pun intended) until I can get the mod updated - http://www.mediafire.com/file/ieju4g...olve.pack/file

Also we have a thread to point to when people complain about major factions
    Last edited by Dresden; August 12, 2018 at 06:31 PM.

Well this is heart breaking. Here I was thinking it was my tactical genius beating Carthage into the ground....

Well, against the player the bonus has no effect. So, you are doing just fine

The bonus is only applied when the battle occurs against a faction that is not allied with the player and when the player is not near the battle. Its basically just there to help the historical major factions not get swallowed by all the smaller minor factions when you aren't near them.

I think Carthage may have been smacked around by the Edetani and Cessatani in Spain without the auto resolve assist while I was attacking their holdings in Sicily and Africa. Will the mod take awhile to be fixed? Also, where exactly do I drop that fix pack? Thx Dresden.

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by AngryPolack View Post
    I think Carthage may have been smacked around by the Edetani and Cessatani in Spain without the auto resolve assist while I was attacking their holdings in Sicily and Africa. Will the mod take awhile to be fixed? Also, where exactly do I drop that fix pack? Thx Dresden.
    The fix pack just needs to be dropped in the data folder Where all your other mods are located

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

Is it included in the last update (1.2.3d) ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast