Suggestions for Bretonnia
Firstly I would just like to say how grateful I am to the BOTET team for the countless hours of hard work they have put into this mod. I downloaded Call of Warhammer Beginning of the End Times not that long ago and have been enamoured with it ever since. The sheer scale of the mod, its map size, unit variety and modelling ambition are only matched by the determination of the creators to pay attention the smaller, less flashy details that make a truly great mod. One of these small details I love is the legion origin and number names given to the Bretonnian peasant units, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the ability to keep track of the deeds, both great and cowardly, of my lowly farmers as they follow their lords on outrageous quests. However, I have to say that I was disappointed in some key aspects of my dabbling in the Bretonnia Campaign. The main complaints I have to make are around issues of aesthetic, and though I do have some suggestions for changes to gameplay I understand that there are restrictions in Medieval 2 that would make these requests difficult to incorporate, but nevertheless if you are looking for Ideas to beef up Bretonnia I have included them.

The most profound problem I had with Bretonnia was with the Grail Knights, I waited a long time to recruit these famous units and was depressed by the lack of significant differentiation from the Knights of the realm in model appearance. The units are really only separated by some sparing green heraldry.
Secondly, I thought that the depiction of King Leon Leoncoeur could be improved upon, both on the battlefield and campaign map, he seemed far too plain for the king of the heraldic and excessive Bretonnia, his cloak is plain blue and he wears more chainmail and less plate that your average knight of the realm, in fact, on the campaign map he appears far less impressive that the ordinary generals model. Compared with the fantastic unit for Karl Franz he seems especially disappointing.

To me the general unit cards were perplexing, Bretonnia is perhaps the only faction that could feasibly use the vanilla portraits and the custom artwork, I thought, didn’t really jive with the rest of the Bretonnian iconography. I did like the portrait for Leon, and to be honest this is only a small issue (although for some reason I wish you had Leon Leoncoeur as the name for the king rather than just Leon).
The worst thing is that the way Bretonnia is portrayed in BOTET is actually quit close to the original tabletop depiction, I never played the now deceased Warhammer Fantasy but from what I’ve gathered all three ranks of knights were constructed from the same box set and too an extent even after construction and painting could be used interchangeably.

Nevertheless the fact that Bretonnia was never fully explored and was largely pushed to the wayside in the tabletop game doesn’t necessarily limit its growth in other settings, In the same way that magic never really flew from the hands of a model Empire Wizard on the tabletop, and yet does so in the medieval 2 engine, and in the same way the blast from that arcane power was largely decided by the creative interpretation of the creators of the BOTET and COW mods, Bretonnia should not be strangled by the limits of the tabletop format and the languorous business acumen of Games Workshop.

Regarding the Grail Knights, the ‘burning’ or ‘shining’ lances and fluttering capes seen in Total War: Warhammer serve as a minimum differentiating factor for the premier knights of the kingdom and would look great in BOTET, an increase to the Grail symbols, plate armour and general heraldic panoply of the Grail knight would also be welcome (Pegasus Knights too). I am unsure of the policy of the mod team regarding Total War: Warhammer but I do think that it can serve as a source of inspiration (I’m not a fan of the ‘Sundering’ Grail Knights). Leon Leoncoeur should also hold a ‘shining/burning’ sword, and his silver plate armour could be gilded in gold and the icons of Bretonnia might cover his cloaks and tunic in red and dark blue and gold on both the battle ground and strategic map.
Knights of the realm are my favourite unit for Bretonnia and one of my favourites in the game as a whole. However, there is something to be said for the unity of heraldry and colours between horse, and rider, each knight should still be unique, but his coat of arms and colours should be unified throughout his appearance. I’m not sure if this is even possible to do in Medieval Total War but I think it makes sense and looks good. This something that could be applied to all the Breton Knights.

I am also of the belief that the mod team should do away with trying to insert Bretonnian coat of arms and colours into all the knights. I think if would be better to stick with the colours of the knights heraldry on his tunic and torso, turning each knight into a solid block of one or two colours from a distance.
Despite my desire for an increase to the pomposity of the highest tier of knights I understand the importance of contrast, I’m an admirer of the peasants and their bright yet simple uniforms, and in fact I think that Questing knights should be given more humble attire. The current Questing Knight is less armoured rather than less flamboyantly coloured in BOTET and should be monk like in his heraldry and dress, they should be assigned far darker tones, their horses should also be free of colourful trappings, the addition of a tall pack on the back of their horse would serve to make them stand out and pay homage to the lore.
I’m generally fine with the appearance of the Knights Errant, but a different direction to go may be too design the knights with more modern(too an extent), rather than less, armour, thus signifying their youth. A simple way to do this is to give them armet and bascinet helmets which already appear on the Reiksguard, this could potentially be achieved through armour upgrades. Generally I see the perceived poverty of the Knights Errant as cohesive too their lore as landless, unproven warriors.

That is all of the aesthetic commentary I can think to make at the moment.

Regarding gameplay it would interest me to see the addition of some more units to the Bretonnians.
Foot Squires- Infantry unit carrying Great swords similar to the Empire’s, roughly equivalent in garb to the Knights Errant (maybe also able to gain an armour upgrade?) lore wise these are fit, strong peasants or bastard sons of knights who attend the higher classes on the battlefield. I feel though that the lore could be expanded to include poor or old Knights Errant whose valuable horses have died and who are now required to fight on foot.

Foot Squires with Halberds- There is some small precedent for this with the Beast Slayers of Bastonne Regiment of Renown in Total War: Warhammer
Grail Guardians- A second unit inspired from Total War: Warhammer, these are Grail Knights with swords rather than spears and white capes.
Lastly, there is great opportunity too, in my opinion, expand the options for the player via the introduction of a system of fiefdoms similar to the empires electors. Fiefdoms could include Bordereaux led by Alberic and Garamont and Bastonne led by Calard. These fiefs would be united with Bretonnia through Alliance, trade and military access.

These changes to gameplay are more wishful thinking than anything else as I’m aware of limitations to units and playable factions in Medieval Total War and the inevitable and justified prioritising of ‘bigger ticket’ units.

Again much thanks and credit should be given to the BOTET team for creating such a great mod. I don’t have any modding experience so I’m helpless to do anything.

Please suggest your own impressions or suggestions for an improvement to Bretonnian, aswell as showing support so that changes will be considered! I get the sense that Bretonnia hasn’t been touched since the early stages of development, it’s time for an update!

If anyone would like me to expand on something or provide examples I'd be happy to do so, most of my ideas are drawn from the Bretonnian lore, art, tabletop models and Total War: Warhammer.