Thread: Expanding the portrait generator

Icon5 Expanding the portrait generator

Hello everyone, I want to ask you some infos for a mod I was thinking to do.

I was wondering if it was possible to add new faces to the random character portrait generator without overwriting the default faces, so that each generic officer category has more chances to have officers looking different enough to recognize them.

From what I have seen the names of the CA assets all follow a schema that is something like <gender>_<officer_category>_face_xx, where xx is a number between 01 and 10. So I was wondering if using the same schema from 11 to n would made the generator know there are more faces to pick from or it is hard-coded. In the case this number is hard-coded, is it possible to modify it via mods?

Thank you so much in advance!
    Last edited by Leonardo; July 14, 2019 at 06:57 AM. Reason: The SIZE tag removed due for not being able to read the post.

Default Re: Expanding the portrait generator

In many cases, adding new assets without overwriting existing ones is indeed possible. You're on the right track by identifying the naming schema. However, whether the game's engine dynamically recognizes additional assets beyond those initially coded into it depends on how the game was designed.
    If the game's engine is flexible enough, adding new assets with names following the established schema (e.g., <gender>_<officer_category>_face_xx) from 11 to n might work. The game might recognize these additional assets during character generation. https://cot-bumpers.co.uk/
    However, if the game's character generator is hard-coded to only recognize a specific range of assets (e.g., face_01 to face_10), modifying it to recognize additional assets might require more advanced modding techniques or even altering the game's code, which can be more complex and may not always be feasible depending on the game's architecture and modding tools available.
    To get a definitive answer tailored to the specific game you're modding, you might want to consult the game's modding community or developers' documentation. They can provide insights into the game's modding capabilities and any limitations you might encounter. Good luck with your modding endeavors!