Page 44 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1934353637383940414243444546474849505152535469 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chat Thread (rules included in the opening post)

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Default Re: The Chat Thread (rules included in the opening post)

I was about to ask him but a chuckle escaped my mouth. It’s ridiculous.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Derpy Hooves View Post
    Ok remember that roommate I was talking about a few weeks back. Got a new tale of passive aggressive behavior. I work from home, I clock in to take my lunch break and head downstairs into the kitchen. Roommate is cooking lunch for himself. He’s taken up a lot of space, but I see a few areas where I can cook my lunch, even plenty of stove space for a pan. So I start prep, he sighs very loudly. Then I start cooking on the stove, and he decides to leave the room, stopping all of his cooking while muttering and sighing very loudly. This is hilarious
    Time to have a sit down and a serious discussion if you ask me. Tell him you want to talk and discuss the matter calmly. Preferably in a casual setting. Obviously something is bothering him and you'd both be better off if you knew what.

another story on recent events in my life. Was in a hit and run last week. Got staples and sutures in the back of my head. No concussion AFAIK. Hope they get the who did this to me. DC is way too crazy these days. It’s not safe. I’m leaving it as soon as I can
    Damn, hope you recover well.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

To be perfectly honest, I have a really hard time focusing on cooking when there's someone else in my space like that. So I totally get where he is coming from, even if he's a dick about it. If someone else is using the kitchen and I want to cook I'll just ask them to tell me when they're done so I don't have to share space.

Also, I was involved in a hit in run a couple weeks ago as well. It was ing terrifying, I almost didn't get away with it.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    To be perfectly honest, I have a really hard time focusing on cooking when there's someone else in my space like that. So I totally get where he is coming from, even if he's a dick about it. If someone else is using the kitchen and I want to cook I'll just ask them to tell me when they're done so I don't have to share space.
    noob

Also, I was involved in a hit in run a couple weeks ago as well. It was ing terrifying, I almost didn't get away with it.
    it feels like you are joking, but let me ask anyways: what's going on there? DC unsafe?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

The answer is as simple as it is perennial, America is going on.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Nah man DC, or at least my slice of it, has become seriously unsafe in 2021. In the past month I almost got hit by a car twice, and then I did. Each time, I had the absolute right of way. I had the light telling me to walk, and each time drivers took their red light as a suggestion. Then you have the shootings, drivebys, and knife attacks happen, at least weekly, at the closest metro station.

Now I don’t walk or take public transportation anywhere. It’s not safe to

Blog Entries

Then the question comes natural: how so?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

The Washington-Baltimore Metropolitan area is one of the most densely populated areas in the entire country, any such densely populated area will have more instances of these sorts of crimes than a rural area.

That being said, I would be cautious to extrapolate Derpy's experience to the entire DC area. In DC crime is up, over all, 3% from 2020. However, 2020 saw a full 20% decrease in crime across the DC area, with the only crimes increasing in 2020 number being arson (down 69% this year compared to 2020), homicide (up 14%, but has increased as such year on year for the past decade corresponding with the District's increase in population and mostly takes place within the gang populations) and motor vehicle theft which saw a 50% increase.

So whenever you see the news or people saying that "crime is at a record high!" or "crime rates increasing!" it's important to take that with a grain of salt and compare it to the record lows in most crime categories that we saw as a result of the pandemic and increased federal aid.

Blog Entries

I see, I guessed something like that actually. I was just shocked that DC is considered to be a dangerous area to the point that people is afraid of taking public transports or want to move from there. The image we have from the past is that of the best place in the US (at the least for metropolitan areas), but hey the american movies

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Like with most places it really depends on where you live. The closer you get to Baltimore the worse things get.

Blog Entries

What's wrong with Baltimore?

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Wasn’t DC where those POS teen girls hijacked that uber driver and killed him?
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

One of the highest crime rates in the country - period. It has a murder rate far greater than any city other than St. Louis, it has more burglaries and robberies than any other city in the country, 7th highest rate of aggravated assault and 12th highest motor vehicle crime rates in the country. It has twice the per capita crime rate of Chicago while having around 1/5th of the population - which is historically considered one of the more "dangerous" US cities. New York was also historically considered a pretty dangerous city, though nowadays it's comparatively rather safe with a crime rate of 538 per capita compared to Baltimore's rate of 2,027 per capita. Baltimore has a population of 600,000 compared to New York's 8,000,000+ population.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    Wasn’t DC where those POS teen girls hijacked that uber driver and killed him?
    What does that have to do with anything?

It was a high profile car-related crime in the exact area where we are referring to car-related crime, and when it happened I remember reading it was part of an epidemic of gang-related carjackings. It got so much publicity because it was caught on camera and the ages of the girls, which apparently is intentional because gangs specifically send their youngest members so they only get juvie if caught

Blog Entries

One of the highest crime rates in the country - period. It has a murder rate far greater than any city other than St. Louis, it has more burglaries and robberies than any other city in the country, 7th highest rate of aggravated assault and 12th highest motor vehicle crime rates in the country. It has twice the per capita crime rate of Chicago while having around 1/5th of the population - which is historically considered one of the more "dangerous" US cities. New York was also historically considered a pretty dangerous city, though nowadays it's comparatively rather safe with a crime rate of 538 per capita compared to Baltimore's rate of 2,027 per capita. Baltimore has a population of 600,000 compared to New York's 8,000,000+ population.
    Wait what do you mean with per capita? Like 538 crimes per person? I don't think so, but still ..

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Drive-by knifing is my favorite kind of knifing.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

I strive to be the knife king

The Washington-Baltimore Metropolitan area is one of the most densely populated areas in the entire country, any such densely populated area will have more instances of these sorts of crimes than a rural area.

That being said, I would be cautious to extrapolate Derpy's experience to the entire DC area. In DC crime is up, over all, 3% from 2020. However, 2020 saw a full 20% decrease in crime across the DC area, with the only crimes increasing in 2020 number being arson (down 69% this year compared to 2020), homicide (up 14%, but has increased as such year on year for the past decade corresponding with the District's increase in population and mostly takes place within the gang populations) and motor vehicle theft which saw a 50% increase.

So whenever you see the news or people saying that "crime is at a record high!" or "crime rates increasing!" it's important to take that with a grain of salt and compare it to the record lows in most crime categories that we saw as a result of the pandemic and increased federal aid.
    Thats why I say my slice of DC. The thing is, before these last six months, I felt safe in my area. But the decline in safety in my area has been accelerating

I think the common denominator is you moving there