Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rings of Power. Lord of the Rings. TV Show.

Default Re: The Rings of Power. Lord of the Rings. TV Show.

Horrible isn't it, that Tolkien was just so ignorant of his own works, if only he had smart people telling him his business...

"I should say Zimmerman, the constructor of this s-l, is quite incapable of excerpting or adapting the 'spoken words' of the book. He is hasty, insensitive, and impertinent.
    He does not read books. It seems to me evident that he has skimmed through the L.R. at a great pace, and then constructed his s.l. from partly confused memories, and with the minimum of references back to the original."
    "I feel very unhappy about the extreme silliness and incompetence of Z and his complete lack of respect for the original (it seems wilfully wrong without discernible technical reasons at nearly every point)"
    L207.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Looks, more Hobbit CGI than LoTR live action...

Hmm.

What are those people with the giant moose antlers(?) on their backs, at the beginning?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I'll probably be watching it, I'm curious to see how they depicted Annatar.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

This is going to suck so badly.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Hmm bummer I though they would do Numinor more directly. Particularity because it be a chance to parry the racism charge (above) watching the high and rewarded Edain sink to imperialism of the harsh sort quite without Sauron and than fall fast and harder with him around.

We need a wood elf because umm... I now Legelos was cool in LOTR?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    What are those people with the giant moose antlers(?) on their backs, at the beginning?
    Really tired on that hike.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    LOL

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

The awful glossy CGI look doesn't leave me too excited
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    She is wearing "plastic looking" plate armor. If im not mistaken that is something the elves didnt use at this time?
    You're 100% correct, back on the old Third and Fourth Age forums the kinds of armour were talked over endlessly. In some ways this looks closer to Azeroth than Middle Earth.

I feel like I agree with most of what you are saying, I just get angry about the whole subject...

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I'll probably be watching it, I'm curious to see how they depicted Annatar.
    I heard Seth Rogan has been cast? Jk but the way this is panning out I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    1st Dunlending Moose Gliders. Seriously haven't you read "Unfinished Tales (the drunk napkin scrawlings appendix CXXXIV)"? Some people think the original was an attempt to create a cocktail recipe, others imagine it was an insult in proto-Polynesian directed at the French Attaché, but the producers decided to "honour the spirit of Tolkien's universe" and plonked them in.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    The awful glossy CGI look doesn't leave me too excited
    Maybe viewers with the plantinum upgrade will get better quality visuals?
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I don't really care for the race or skin color conversation, but this show will be hot garbage if they do not mix CGI with practical effects in a tasteful way like Jackson's LOTR films. His trilogy has its faults, but heavy usage of CGI to the point of exasperating overkill was not among them, even with Treebeard walking around! For that very reason the original Jurassic Park from 1993 still looks better than any of its sequels that have come out since.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Glossy CGI and whining about the skin color of fictional races aside, Lord of the Rings is now getting the anime treatment...a Lord of the Weebs if you will.

Set roughly two centuries before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings,” “The War of the Rohirrim” will explore the exploits of Helm Hammerhand, the King of Rohan, and the creation of Helm’s Deep, the stronghold featured in Peter Jackson’s “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.”
    Kenji Kamiyama (the TV series “Blade Runner: Black Lotus” and “Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex”) is directing with “Blade Runner: Black Lotus” producer Joseph Chou through his anime studio Sola Entertainment, which has been working on the film since it was announced in June 2021.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I don't really care for the race or skin color conversation, but this show will be hot garbage if they do not mix CGI with practical effects in a tasteful way like Jackson's LOTR films. His trilogy has its faults, but heavy usage of CGI to the point of exasperating overkill was not among them, even with Treebeard walking around! For that very reason the original Jurassic Park from 1993 still looks better than any of its sequels that have come out since.
    Yes the race baiting is a stupid waste of time, whereas the use of CGI is a cogent criticism. Nothing like seeing O'Toole in the actual Sinai Desert in Lawrence of Arabia, or other staggering shots eg Indiana Jones I, sunset over the archaeological site. That image of the actors in silhouette is possibly Spielberg's finest set piece.

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    Glossy CGI and whining about the skin color of fictional races aside, Lord of the Rings is now getting the anime treatment...a Lord of the Weebs if you will.
    How "Blade Runner" will it be?

Saruman
    : You look down, and you see a mumak, its crawling towards you...
    Helm: A mumak? Whats that?
    Saruman: [takes a drag of pipeweed] You know what an Oliphant is?
    Helm: ...of course.
    Saruman: Same thing.

Ah back to the days of the "What if...?" thread...
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

For a billion dollar show, why does the new Lord of the Rings trailer look so cheap?
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b2015466.html
    or here if behind paywall
    https://sports.yahoo.com/billion-dol...121102423.html

That's just lazy journalism. There is absolutely no substance to the claim from the title at least in the non-paywall article.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    My edition printed in 1999 doesn't have it. The fact that the quote you provided has little to no online presence despite the subject's popularity tells me that it really does not exist. The appendix is primarily about language anyways. It's odd to have a paragraph there talking about appearance.
    What is the edition that you have?

What is the edition that you have?
    Not sure. Perhaps called the reprint edition from George Allen and Unwin publisher that was first published in 1954 in Great Britain. As I said before, it doesn't make sense for him to talk about appearances in an appendix that talks specifically about languages.
    The Armenian Issue

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

It's there in my translated edition from 1998, except instead of house of Finrod it says house of Finarfin.

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Not sure. Perhaps called the reprint edition from George Allen and Unwin publisher that was first published in 1954 in Great Britain.
    You claimed that the 1999 edition you have does not have it. If you don't know what edition it is, then you could not have checked it.
    As I said before, it doesn't make sense for him to talk about appearances in an appendix that talks specifically about languages.
    If only Tolkien could have benefited from your ideas of what makes sense...
    Last edited by Infidel144; February 17, 2022 at 02:24 PM.

You claimed that the 1999 edition you have does not have it. If you don't know what edition it is, then you could not have checked it.
    Not every book highlights what edition it is. I gave you enough information.
    The Armenian Issue