Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Islamic dilemma

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: The Islamic dilemma

I not really seeing a dilemma. What you describe seems rather no different than Christians reading the trinity into the OT where it does not exist. ONce you decided your latest version of reviled enlightenment from god is the one contradictions don't matter. THus I sure you could run the same question qitht he LDS as well
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

(I may have misunderstood you here but)... It seems you are confusing the circumstance of “not existing” with “not willing” to recognize the outlined dilemma in question. The dilemma exists and it is outlined right there in plain black and white, for all to see. It is merely a matter of applying Islam’s own logic (as devised) and recognizing that it ultimately does not add up – regardless what we do. Furthermore, nobody has (so far) claimed that other movements like Christianity or otherwise are free from various internal problems and paradoxes – however that is ultimately beside the point here as this thread deals in Islam and it's problems (all else is at best secondary in this topic). Thread-title is a dead give away on that note...

It also appears that you disregard the fact that there is at least one drastic difference in traditional Islam compared with traditional Christianity – namely the typical claim that the Koran(s) IS the word of god, while the Bible is merely “inspired by god”. There is a ginormous and defining difference there. Let’s say that we are pious believers for a short moment – there would be ZERO excuses/possibilities for us altering/moderating anything in the actual “words of god”-case, while there is at least some margin for it in the “inspired by god”-case. The reasons for all that are rather self-explanatory. Otherwise it would be irrational and hopelessly absurd by its very own premise.

In Islam’s case - it is the “words of god”-case - which means there are no moderation and alterations possible if we are to honour the supposed intentions of that god. It creates an absurd and unsustainable circumstance if those words are in conflict with themselves and the supposed logic they forward – that’s a dilemma for sure. Assuming that we for some reason are to take these “divine words” serious that is. In the event that we do (decide to do so) - the outlined Islamic dilemma emerges...

- A

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

Yeah but the premise of this argument appears to be that logical consistency is somehow important to religion. This just doesn't appear to be the case generally. I would venture that those who are convinced by purely logical considerations are unlikely to be poring over old religious texts. They would probably rather spend their time more profitably. And those who the argument ostensibly applies to are unlikely to be swayed by some logical inconsistency that can be dismissed quite easily by an appeal to the ineffable mysteries of God, or whatever.

Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin

Islam's problem is also the rampant inbreeding.

Also, several Muslim countries are allying China, who is persecuting Muslims. Bunch of power hungry hypocrites.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12