Thread: DEI devs suggestion/help

Default DEI devs suggestion/help

Hi Guys

I have been playing this mod for years with a superb work from the team. Unfortunately I'm unable to complete it because the mod end turns get very slow 3-4 minutes in mid late game :-( The issue is most likely with my outdated PC and the cheer amount of scripts/nod changes rather than anything else because Vanilla turns take 30 seconds whilst DEI takes 1.30 seconds in the early campaign.

Could you let me know what systems/PC DEI devs use to develop and run the mod? How long do your turns take in early, mid, late campaigns?

I don't want to invest in the latest and greatest processors and graphics cards if the mod is inherently slow due to complexity. Thanks in advance!

PS - I have tried all the suggestions in the forum and searching in the web, run mod from local files rather than Steam, reg file, GPU setting s to low, script file memory increase to 4k etc...
    Last edited by jegui; February 25, 2023 at 12:38 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Hadrian

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: DEI devs suggestion/help

For most of my time in DeI I had i7 4790k, GTX970, HDD and 16 GB Ram.

For past 2 years I have i7 10700kf, RTX3070, SSD and 32 GB Ram.

My turn times are 30 seconds in early game and around 45 turns past turn 200.

I don't use DeI from Steam workshop, always manual install version from our website as manually installed mods cut their load time by 2-3 times.

Having less characters helps out too.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    For most of my time in DeI I had i7 4790k, GTX970, HDD and 16 GB Ram.

For past 2 years I have i7 10700kf, RTX3070, SSD and 32 GB Ram.

My turn times are 30 seconds in early game and around 45 turns past turn 200.

I don't use DeI from Steam workshop, always manual install version from our website as manually installed mods cut their load time by 2-3 times.

Having less characters helps out too.
    Thanks Kam,

I have HP Omen Laptop with I7 7700HQ, HDD, 16 Gb Ram and GTX 1060 x6 Gb

It's so frustrating, it starts with 30-40s sec turn times and after 15-20 turns it increases to 60-90 sec... it gradually increases to 2-4 min after turn 200... I'm not creating characters except for direct lineage to 2-3 children. I stopped using steam and downloaded mod packs onto PC directly... even tried lowering everything down to low graphics and other stuff... I love this mod and time period but can't get long enough to complete it :-(

If I knew 100% upgrading processor or desktop version would do the trick I'd def pursue it

Patrician

I would say probably in your case its HDD that does the bottleneck.

I know upgrades on laptops are hard and I never tried external drives but might be worth investigating how external SSDs perform. Might be cheapest way for you to see if that helps as you would not need to change anything in your laptop while you can get them for rather ok prices, just all depending how much memory on it you would like to have tho I would recommend at least 256GB ones as bare minimum.

I would say probably in your case its HDD that does the bottleneck.

I know upgrades on laptops are hard and I never tried external drives but might be worth investigating how external SSDs perform. Might be cheapest way for you to see if that helps as you would not need to change anything in your laptop while you can get them for rather ok prices, just all depending how much memory on it you would like to have tho I would recommend at least 256GB ones as bare minimum.
    Thanks Kam

My HDD is 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA and internal SSD 120 Gb is taken by OS with little space left.

Do you think an external SSDs via a USB 3.1 will still be a bottleneck rather than an internal upgrade to HDD?

Prices a like for like but I always assumed external SSDs are more for storage rather than performance.

I have found several compatible with my model and affordable. Just need to decide if internal is better than external...

https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/accessori...2-portable-ssd

Patrician

If you can replace your HDD with SSD, then it would probably be better.

Sadly I dont have much experience with laptons, last one I had was in 2010.

I've noticed a big difference in all TW from R2 onwards using an SSD instead of HDD. Mine is mostly taken by OS as well and I have room for 1 TW game + mods at a time.

If you can replace your HDD with SSD, then it would probably be better.

Sadly I dont have much experience with laptons, last one I had was in 2010.
    Many thanks Kam for your support on this.

I got an external SSD with latest technology/speeds and connected it via USB 3.1 Gen1 on my laptop. I managed to get pretty much similar speeds as my laptop internal SATA SSD drive of around 450/500 MB/s read and write. That is 4 times faster than my HDD 7200 at 130 MB/s

Moved RTW2 and DEI mods to the external drive. and did some benchmarking. The load screens for the game and mod have improved 2-3x and its much faster. The FPS and graphics on the same settings have increased twofold from 5--60 to 100 FPS.

Unfortunately the end turn times have not improved with DEI. They are still taking 90 seconds on 20 turns in the game and around the same time on 150 turns in the game (i had an old save).

Since I have upgraded the hard disk and the memory I can only assume that the bottleneck for the long end turn times in DEI is the processor and/or my old gig. It seems that the mod loads many scripts and computes many CPU cycles to process the end turn. CPU 0 and CPU 1 reach 100% during end turn. I did try to separate CPUs, change process priority and disable other stuff. I think my laptop version of CPU (I7 2.8 to 3.8 GHz - 6 Mb - gen 7) is not cut for the job.

What CPU and speed do you have in your gig? is it i7 10700kf at 5Ghz and 16 Mb cache? Just for reference when I decide to upgrade mine :-)
    Last edited by jegui; March 01, 2023 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7ty7 View Post
    I've noticed a big difference in all TW from R2 onwards using an SSD instead of HDD. Mine is mostly taken by OS as well and I have room for 1 TW game + mods at a time.
    Which SSD type/speed you have and how long does it take for end turn with DEI?

In Game Settings, switch off "show AI player moves" under Campaign settings. It should reduce time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LEXI2016 View Post
    In Game Settings, switch off "show AI player moves" under Campaign settings. It should reduce time as well.
    yes all of that done! In addition I have now replaced my slow HDD to a 1Tb SDD PCIe 3 and read/write speeds jumped from 130Mb/s to 3500Mb/s. Everything else improved and load screens etc but end turn times in Grand Campaign are stuck at 90 sec. Other Dei campaigns are fast at 20-30 sec end turns. The issue in DEI is certainly with processor (I7 7 Gen at 3.4Mhz) and the several of scripts executed in grand campaign for all the factions... Perhaps a faster processor with faster core speeds will get rid of the bottleneck (5mhz etc). I will only find out when I decide to upgrade my rig... but for now that's it :-(
    Last edited by jegui; March 17, 2023 at 04:04 PM.

Sadly in the later turns due to the amount of scripts and characters (especially after the family tree was added) it can get bogged down a bit.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Hi Dresden! I would like to create a new submod for DEI. I want to create 2 command units for the garrison. I think if a city has organized garrison defense, there should be garrison commanders to control the defense of the city. The commanders would be well equipped, experienced units. But not OP heroes! The most useful for defense would be a commander ability buff . Infantry commander unit in small towns, cavalry unit in large cities. I have done this modification before, but not for DEI. I have been trying to make it compatible for several days now , but so far I have not succeeded . (Units appear in custom battles , but fail in the campaign) I feel that DEI is somehow "hard coded" in its garrison system (?) You can check out my mod in the steam workshop here :
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...ison+Commander
    Thanks for any help!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

nevermind, i find solution myself. uhh was a lot of work with tables!
    Last edited by Hunor; April 07, 2023 at 10:11 AM. Reason: solution