Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Ahsoka TV series!

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ahsoka TV series!

The writing is horrible, but it actually seems like they're trying to do something with Ahsoka and Wren.

In any case, I don't think I will watch the next episodes either.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Previously I was resolved not to watch the show at all after the stupidity of episode 2, but I unfortunately got roped into watching the rest of the season by friends who are fans. Against my better judgment, I justified this viewing as a personal means to provide honorary tribute to the late great Ray Stevenson (RIP), who died back in May of this year and played legendary roles like Titus Pullo in HBO's Rome and Blackbeard in Black Sails (and even the main villain in the hit comedy The Other Guys with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg). I guess I don't regret it in that context, since his character Baylan Skoll had some great lines and memorable moments, but the series overall is just pathetic.

It's a shame, because the production values, outfits, settings, special effects, and musical score of the original soundtrack are very well done, definitely on a higher tier than the silly Boba Fett show. Yet the latter is somehow more satisfying in its silly fun as a throwaway series, whereas this one takes itself very seriously, the narrative intertwined with the role of Hayden Christiansen as Anakin Skywalker, a literal friendly ghost (like Casper) and also flashback mentor of Ahsoka Tano.

I'm sorry, and SPOILER ALERT AFTER THIS POINT OF MY POST, but I just can't take this show seriously when it introduces some of the most hilariously silly and fantastical crap I've ever seen in a science fiction series. Again, the polished nature of the show almost hides how much of a turd it is. Putting aside the cringe-worthy dialogue that I pointed out in my previous post, the writers have a hysterically bad inability to flesh out natural and emotional scenes where characters who have long been astray come together at long last (i.e. Ezra Bridger meeting up again with Wren, Ahsoka, and then Hera). Each of these scenes fall flat on their face with wooden dialogue. You simply do not believe they have been estranged and lost for so long, and none of the actors convey any real emotion about it even though Wren was literally risking the fate of the entire ****ing galaxy and fall of the Republic to Admiral Thrawn over her being reunited with her friend Ezra. It's just maddening.

However, all of that somehow pales in comparison to the sheer stupidity of the magical flying whales, gigantic heavy creatures who not only perform the physically impossible by floating through the air in atmospheres of various planets where they can somehow breathe just fine and don't seem to eat anything aside from...birds? They also LITERALLY TRAVEL AT WARP SPEED through outer space to other galaxies as migrating animals, like birds going south for the winter, only its a migration to an animal cemetery where they go to die. LOL. LMAO. LOOOOOOOOOOL. No, these are not spaceships who bend spacetime in order to travel faster than the speed of light. They are just whales, and yes, you read that correctly.

The fighting sequences are pretty cool, the special effects are great, Admiral Thrawn is an interesting villain who has some good lines and shows some cunning (also played by a great actor Lars Mikkelsen who appears in both House of Cards and The Witcher), but by God the only way you can appreciate any of these elements in the show is to look past the fantastically stupid crap. The latter is somehow WORSE than any of the silliest garbage in Boba Fett (who could only dream of being that myopically hammy). You also have to look past some of the worst wooden stale acting and dialogue ever produced for a Sci-Fi TV series ever in the history of the genre, up there with the first generation of Star Trek from the 60s. The only other saving grace is that the show eventually features the character Mon Mothma played by Genevieve O'Reilly, a great character who appears in the much better Star Wars show Andor. The actress at least does a good job with the slop that she's given.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Annoyed with the crap show, this one is
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

magical flying whales
    Hey they are in Stellaris so Paradox says they are legit.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Honestly if it weren't for the illustrious names and the pretty faces I wouldn't have seen more than two episodes

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Roma Victrix the Purgils were the reason Hyperdrive exists. The Rakata studied the Purgils and figured how to create Hyperdrives. I don't find the idea of a flying whale being able to biologically jump to hyperspace (i.e. a different dimension / reality / plane of existence) and out as stupid. It is space fantasy, not sci-fi.
    Also, the Purgils IIRC eat gas.
    Someone mentioned Stellaris. Those whales in Stellaris are clearly influenced by Purgils.

The introduction of Purgils is one of the things I liked in Rebels. So was the world between worlds (we have seen that) and Bentu (we have not seen that).

Another thing I think we miss, space-fantasy-side, is animals that are force-sensitive. The Lothar wolves don't count.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Ad astra per cetacea.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Previously I was resolved not to watch the show at all after the stupidity of episode 2, but I unfortunately got roped into watching the rest of the season by friends who are fans. Against my better judgment, I justified this viewing as a personal means to provide honorary tribute to the late great Ray Stevenson (RIP), who died back in May of this year and played legendary roles like Titus Pullo in HBO's Rome and Blackbeard in Black Sails (and even the main villain in the hit comedy The Other Guys with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg). I guess I don't regret it in that context, since his character Baylan Skoll had some great lines and memorable moments, but the series overall is just pathetic.

It's a shame, because the production values, outfits, settings, special effects, and musical score of the original soundtrack are very well done, definitely on a higher tier than the silly Boba Fett show. Yet the latter is somehow more satisfying in its silly fun as a throwaway series, whereas this one takes itself very seriously, the narrative intertwined with the role of Hayden Christiansen as Anakin Skywalker, a literal friendly ghost (like Casper) and also flashback mentor of Ahsoka Tano.

I'm sorry, and SPOILER ALERT AFTER THIS POINT OF MY POST, but I just can't take this show seriously when it introduces some of the most hilariously silly and fantastical crap I've ever seen in a science fiction series. Again, the polished nature of the show almost hides how much of a turd it is. Putting aside the cringe-worthy dialogue that I pointed out in my previous post, the writers have a hysterically bad inability to flesh out natural and emotional scenes where characters who have long been astray come together at long last (i.e. Ezra Bridger meeting up again with Wren, Ahsoka, and then Hera). Each of these scenes fall flat on their face with wooden dialogue. You simply do not believe they have been estranged and lost for so long, and none of the actors convey any real emotion about it even though Wren was literally risking the fate of the entire ****ing galaxy and fall of the Republic to Admiral Thrawn over her being reunited with her friend Ezra. It's just maddening.

However, all of that somehow pales in comparison to the sheer stupidity of the magical flying whales, gigantic heavy creatures who not only perform the physically impossible by floating through the air in atmospheres of various planets where they can somehow breathe just fine and don't seem to eat anything aside from...birds? They also LITERALLY TRAVEL AT WARP SPEED through outer space to other galaxies as migrating animals, like birds going south for the winter, only its a migration to an animal cemetery where they go to die. LOL. LMAO. LOOOOOOOOOOL. No, these are not spaceships who bend spacetime in order to travel faster than the speed of light. They are just whales, and yes, you read that correctly.

The fighting sequences are pretty cool, the special effects are great, Admiral Thrawn is an interesting villain who has some good lines and shows some cunning (also played by a great actor Lars Mikkelsen who appears in both House of Cards and The Witcher), but by God the only way you can appreciate any of these elements in the show is to look past the fantastically stupid crap. The latter is somehow WORSE than any of the silliest garbage in Boba Fett (who could only dream of being that myopically hammy). You also have to look past some of the worst wooden stale acting and dialogue ever produced for a Sci-Fi TV series ever in the history of the genre, up there with the first generation of Star Trek from the 60s. The only other saving grace is that the show eventually features the character Mon Mothma played by Genevieve O'Reilly, a great character who appears in the much better Star Wars show Andor. The actress at least does a good job with the slop that she's given.
    Pretty much in a nutshell, the major issues with the show.
    The cartoon characters showed more emotion and personality then the live action ones, and plot wise it leads to no where, we are back at we were in the beginning, but with an exchange of characters between galaxies... also we need to talk about Thrawn... what a joke... as much i like the actor, the way he is written is pathetic... it already was like this in rebels, constantly losing to children and pretending it was all part of plan.. This is what passes for an hyper intellectual, cunning and threatening villain in the mind of Filoni... its night and day from the original Thrawn from the novel.... Also that gut belly didnt help in taking him seriously...

I also find difficulty imagining this being appealing to a larger audience casual Star wars fans, who have no idea what this characters are even are... they literally have to watch two cartoon shows, of more then four seasons ( CW had 7) just to be involved to begin with.... They couldnt expect this to be that successful i think.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; October 17, 2023 at 05:00 PM.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    I also find difficulty imagining this being appealing to a larger audience casual Star wars fans, who have no idea what this characters are even are... they literally have to watch two cartoon shows, of more then four seasons ( CW had 7) just to be involved to begin with.... They couldnt expect this to be that successful i think.
    My father hasn't watched a single episode of Rebels or Clone wars and didn't even Remember Ahsoka from the Mandalorian.
    He loved the show.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

You can always rely on Honest Trailers to skewer a show with many faults, and they rightfully tear this one to shreds, including most of the things I've brought up here in this thread. They even gave a shoutout to how Andor is just better! Excellent. They also brought up the stale, cringe dialogue and the annoying monotone voice and gestures of Ahsoka's speaking style.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Roma Victrix the Purgils were the reason Hyperdrive exists. The Rakata studied the Purgils and figured how to create Hyperdrives. I don't find the idea of a flying whale being able to biologically jump to hyperspace (i.e. a different dimension / reality / plane of existence) and out as stupid. It is space fantasy, not sci-fi.
    Even medieval fantasy like Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings operate under the assumption that basic physics exist. It would appear these whales do not exist in such a reality. Likewise, the Star Wars films certainly operate under the assumption that astrophysics is the same in their galaxy as ours, with the mystical "Force" existing within and between all matter. There are some fantastical alien creatures in Star Wars, but they behave and act with the basic physical limitations you would expect from any animal found on Earth, such as obeying the ****ing law of gravity, for Christ sake.

How exactly would a bunch of whales be masters of the Force, anyway? I thought only intelligent beings who trained as Jedi and Siths could use it.

Pretty much in a nutshell, the major issues with the show.
    The cartoon characters showed more emotion and personality then the live action ones, and plot wise it leads to no where, we are back at we were in the beginning, but with an exchange of characters between galaxies... also we need to talk about Thrawn... what a joke... as much i like the actor, the way he is written is pathetic... it already was like this in rebels, constantly losing to children and pretending it was all part of plan.. This is what passes for an hyper intellectual, cunning and threatening villain in the mind of Filoni... its night and day from the original Thrawn from the novel.... Also that gut belly didnt help in taking him seriously...

Yep, it's a tall order to expect casual viewers to even watch a summary of the animated series, let alone most of their episodes to fully understand the character. I certainly wouldn't invest time doing that, although I didn't mind Ahsoka's character in Mandalorian and thought she was okay in it. I have no doubts Thrawn was handled better in the animated series, but he was honestly not even one of my grievances with the live action show. A book could be written about the many angles from which it could be criticized and dissected as bad cinema.

"Grand Smurf Tarkin"

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Literally just Thrawn Trilogy + Ghosts of Mortis/Abeloth + Star Wars Rebels.

Like damn this was so bad. Ahsoka doesn't do anything, Ezra inexplicably sucks, Sabine sucks. Thrawn is a complete moron. Everyone else is just sort of there being incompetent. I don't get the villains, I mean I get what they are going for but it doesn't make much sense.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 18, 2024 at 12:16 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Likewise, the Star Wars films certainly operate under the assumption that astrophysics is the same in their galaxy as ours, with the mystical "Force" existing within and between all matter. There are some fantastical alien creatures in Star Wars, but they behave and act with the basic physical limitations you would expect from any animal found on Earth, such as obeying the ****ing law of gravity, for Christ sake.

Baked in unless you FF past the space asteroid worm in Empire. What does it eat. Why does the Asteroid have gravity of any note... How come Han and company can walk outside with just a gas mast at best... Face it unless you want to make Empire non canon space giant inexplicable creatures are a thing(*). Of course than you have to wonder how Han and company got anywhere without hyperdrive. I mean it would not have not have take much to just I think we can jury rig (the hyper drive safety off etc) it for one more jump a short one buts odds are its toast after that we need someplace close and safe - hey Lando...

* https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Exogorth/Legends
    However it seems creative people have come up with a silicon based life form explanation and occompaning handwavium to justify it. Still don't explained gravity or an atmosphere in its stomach.
    Last edited by conon394; November 13, 2023 at 11:21 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Icon13 Re: Ahsoka TV series!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    I misread that as"Ashoka".
    Same. Why did they feel the need to use the same name?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Literally just Thrawn Trilogy + Ghosts of Mortis/Abeloth + Star Wars Rebels. Like damn this was so bad. Ahsoka doesn't do anything, Ezra inexplicably sucks, Sabine sucks. Thrawn is a complete moron. Everyone else is just sort of there being incompetent. I don't get the villains, I mean I get what they are going for but it doesn't make much sense.
    This is a proper Thrawn, the fans can handle better the source material then Disney.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

This is a proper Thrawn, the fans can handle better the source material then Disney.

Awesome! Thanks my man!

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567