Page 26 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435365176126 ... LastLast

Thread: Hamas attacks southern Israel

Default Re: Hamas attacks southern Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    You mean the Israelis have dropped around the same amount of bombs in Gaza as the US did in one year in Afghanistan. The US on average dropped between 5000 to 7000 bombs per year in Afghanistan. The Israelis have dropped around 6000 total.
    Yes, I already edited the mistake. I misread it earlier today. Already edited it.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Sorta OT but given the populations statistics in post #499 HAmas needs to seriously invest in family planning education.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Sorta OT but given the populations statistics in post #499 HAmas needs to seriously invest in family planning education.
    Haha well... it's sort of a third world thing... all countries that live in poverty and misery usually have more children. If Israel really wanted to destroy Palestine, they would invest heavily in making them super rich and educated. Within two generations the Palestinians would stop having children and become like Japan or Germany... aging countries where people don't want to have kids because they are too well-educated and have a good standard of living. Same thing has happened in many other developed countries.

Member of S.I.N.

Quote Originally Posted by Siblesz View Post
    In the end, perhaps Hamas did misfire a rocket into the hospital...
    PIJ must feel so excluded and ignored.

'Let's talk about those Israeli bombs. Israel has dropped more bombs on Gaza in the first week of this campaign, about 6,000 or so, than the U.S. dropped on Afghanistan in any single year of 20 years of war, as you know."
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/ex...s%20you%20know.
    If that's the case, civilian casualties have been remarkably low.

In other news: Evidence shows Hamas militants likely used some North Korean weapons in attack on Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    Actually we're both right. English translation says from the graveyard, the Hebrew one says from behind it. I don't know which is the correct translation here.
    "There is a situation" is Hebrew slang for "It's possible", hence the odd translation.
    I did not say otherwise. I said there's a trajectory originating there as well. You can see it passing through the white circle and continuing onwards.
    ??
    You neglect to mention the talk about the shrapnel being local.
    I agree though, it's not hard at all.
    Is this Israeli authorities trying to fool their own public with different translations? Or is it you going out of your way to contradict what's been pointed out? Not that its consequential much. I linked to the Israeli army source itself that posted the video with English subtitles. You seem to have watched it and tried to find something that contradicts it which is what might have pushed you to the Hebrew version. We have the English version itself posted by Israeli authorities. This is an English-speaking forum. Most of us do not speak Hebrew. There is no trajectory on the map that originates anywhere near the hospital either. The white line that passes through the white circle separate from the other ones is not originating anywhere near the hospital.

What the two "Hamas operators" speak of in the recording is not possible. It's likely an Israeli fake. It's neither in line with the available evidence nor what the Israeli authorities claim in other statements.
    The Armenian Issue

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    PIJ must feel so excluded and ignored.

If that's the case, civilian casualties have been remarkably low.

In other news: Evidence shows Hamas militants likely used some North Korean weapons in attack on Israel
    Not too much of a surprise Hamas has North Korean weapons. Iran likely buys North Korean arms and supplies them to Hamas and Hezbollah. North Korean arms are probably cheap too. And the North Koreans are desperate for any kind of cash flow
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Is this Israeli authorities trying to fool their own public with different translations? Or is it you going out of your way to contradict what's been pointed out? Not that its consequential much. I linked to the Israeli army source itself that posted the video with English subtitles. You seem to have watched it and tried to find something that contradicts it which is what might have pushed you to the Hebrew version. We have the English version itself posted by Israeli authorities. This is an English-speaking forum. Most of us do not speak Hebrew.
    I'll repeat, I do not know which of the translations is correct. I do not speak Arabic.
    I had listened to the Hebrew version previously, as it was on Israeli news, and was speaking from the information relayed there, and had not felt the need to rewatch it in English. Stop trying to jump through hoops to assign some malignant intent.
    There is no trajectory on the map that originates anywhere near the hospital either. The white line that passes through the white circle separate from the other ones is not originating anywhere near the hospital.
    Originates pretty damn close.
    What the two "Hamas operators" speak of in the recording is not possible. It's likely an Israeli fake. It's neither in line with the available evidence nor what the Israeli authorities claim in other statements.
    Sigh. This was posted not to give an accurate description of events, but to show they're aware it wasn't Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    First: as for the importance of the Jewish community in the Portuguese discoveries, I've written dozens of posts about that. As you know, Portugal was labelled a Jewish country in the Middle Ages.
    --
    Straight to the point: The PS is a centrist party; for some, it leans towards the center-left. The left-wing faction of the PS is equivalent to the progressive wing of the Democratic Party in the USA. Within the PS, there are varying opinions—some more to the right, others more to the left, as is the case in any democratic party.
    With the support of the "PS" ( center-left) and the "Left Bloc," (left) and the abstention of the "Chega,"(far-right) "Iniciativa Liberal," (right) and "Livre" (left) parties, the Government's bill that sets a deadline for the validity of the regime for granting Portuguese nationality to descendants of Sephardic Jews moves on to discussion in the Committee on Constitutional Affairs, Rights, Freedoms, and Guarantees. It is likely to undergo changes there to prevent abuses that have occurred in recent times, especially since the beginning of the war in Ukraine.For example...Portugal to change law under which Roman Abramovich gained citizenship

Edit: But if you think that nationality can be "removed", that's impossible.No one can be deprived of the right to nationality, with Portuguese nationality you will hold the rights inherent to national citizenship. Portuguese nationality is only lost in one circumstance: according to the Constitution, "by any person who, being a national of another State, declares that he or she does not wish to be Portuguese".
    An Absolute Majority Left wing/Secular Parliament takes the timing of an escalated conflict in Jerusalem to pass this type of things? Feels like some bizarre half lucid dream.
    This timing part doesn't click right. Everything seems to be off its element.

Likely some information got distorted or extrapolated, idk.
    Last edited by fkizz; October 19, 2023 at 12:44 PM. Reason: updated
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by fkizz View Post
    An Absolute Majority Left wing/Secular Parliament takes the timing of an escalated conflict in Jerusalem to pass this type of things?
    Still this timing part doesn't click right.
    Why? in fact, it should have been done before. As I said, the new law is likely to undergo changes there to prevent abuses. And btw,it was our right wing President Marcelo that formally proposed a new set of regulations on Sephardic nationality, three years ago.
    Ask any Jew: it was Navalny who directed global attention to Abramovich’s citizenship in December 2021. He wrote on his Twitter account that Abramovich "finally managed to find a country where you can give some bribes and make some semi-official and official payments to end up in the EU".

Do you know that in August 2020, the Jewish community of Porto wrote to the prime minister’s office saying that Abramovich was an example of a Sephardic Portuguese Jew who would “try to mobilize to help Portugal"? To help Portugal, really?

Do you know that the Rabbi Daniel Litvak was arrested shortly after Abramovich’s Portuguese citizenship was recognized? guess why...

Did you know that Israeli companies in 2020 were advertising applications for Portuguese citizenship during Black Friday sales?

Therefore, the change that the law will undergo is to improve it, not to allow it to be manipulated or prostituted.
    ---
    ---
    Israel needs 'continuous' UK support in war with Hamas ...

"I’m proud to stand here with you in Israel’s darkest hour, as your friend,” said the British prime minister, in an inappropriate quote from Churchill.

The Palestinians, those undesirable sub-humans, must go to the desert if they want to survive, according to Danny Ayalon, a former Israeli minister who advocates the ethnic cleansing of Palestine.: “Go to the Sinai Desert. There is a huge expanse, almost endless space in the Sinai Desert just on the other side of Gaza.” Palestinians in Gaza can go to 'tent cities

Jordan’s King Abdullah II recently said,
    the escalating humanitarian situation must be dealt with inside Gaza and the West Bank. That is a red line, because I think that is the plan by certain of the usual suspects to try and create de facto issues on the ground. No refugees in Jordan, no refugees in Egypt.
    And I agree with him. The goal of the Israeli Army in this operation in Gaza is, in the first phase, to "clear the territory" of its inhabitants, creating an empty space, uninhabited (no man's land), to justify Israeli occupation in the second phase.

Everyone has the right to defend themselves, but the crucial issue is not just the right to defense; it's an analysis of reality. Jewish settlements serve military functions within the Israeli state's military maneuver. They act as sentinels, observation posts, and the front line of combat.

We've also had our settlements created with Portuguese people coming from the mainland to settle in border areas during times of war. In Mozambique, the installation of one million settlers in the Cabora Bassa dam region was planned to serve as a barrier against FRELIMO's advance.

The classification of terrorists and terrorist actions should be very careful if historical knowledge were considered an indispensable factor in present analysis.
    In 1972, Marcelo Caetano, the head of the government, told General Spínola, governor and commander-in-chief in Guinea, that he preferred an honorable defeat to negotiating with terrorists.

The Israeli government chose a policy similar to Caetano's, stating that they don't negotiate with terrorists. The difference is that those who control Israel's military machine considered Palestinians as animals, sub human beings to be eliminated.

Disassembling the fallacies of presenting the villain as a victim doesn't imply agreement with Hamas' methods—which deserve condemnation—nor a preference for the values and type of society it proposes. It's a fact: the death of civilians in any context is a crime.

But as Frantz Fanon said, it's the colonizer and their state that teach the colonized the practice of violence. The oppressed expresses themselves this way because it's the only language the oppressor understands.
    Last edited by Ludicus; October 19, 2023 at 12:45 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    I'll repeat, I do not know which of the translations is correct. I do not speak Arabic.
    I had listened to the Hebrew version previously, as it was on Israeli news, and was speaking from the information relayed there, and had not felt the need to rewatch it in English. Stop trying to jump through hoops to assign some malignant intent.
    Originates pretty damn close.
    Sigh. This was posted not to give an accurate description of events, but to show they're aware it wasn't Israel.
    The standards you're using there to relieve Israel of any responsibility is abysmal. You can't use a supposed communication between Hamas members as proof of Hamas culpability while Israel claiming that it was a PIJ rocket and dismiss the inaccuracy of the statements made in the record. You can't have it both ways. A rocket fire origin that is at least two kilometres away from the hospital can not be in or behind the cemetery that is adjacent to the hospital. Of course, the map that's posted by Israeli army spokesperson clearly indicated rocket launch site they claim of being the origin of the rocket that hit the hospital with red mark (which is about 4.5 kms away from the hospital) while all other launch sites are indicated with grey marks. In your quest to stretch the supposed Hamas communication as being accurate you're contradicting Israeli authorities. It's on me that I didn't notice that in the first place.
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; October 19, 2023 at 01:26 PM.
    The Armenian Issue

Why? in fact, it should have been done before.
    Well so technically we do agree that timing should be different.

As I said, the new law is likely to undergo changes there to prevent abuses. And btw,it was our right wing President Marcelo that formally proposed a new set of regulations on Sephardic nationality, three years ago.
    Ask any Jew: it was Navalny who directed global attention to Abramovich’s citizenship in December 2021. He wrote on his Twitter account that Abramovich "finally managed to find a country where you can give some bribes and make some semi-official and official payments to end up in the EU".

Do you know that in August 2020, the Jewish community of Porto wrote to the prime minister’s office saying that Abramovich was an example of a Sephardic Portuguese Jew who would “try to mobilize to help Portugal"? To help Portugal, really?
    Do you know that the Rabbi Daniel Litvak was arrested shortly after Abramovich’s Portuguese citizenship was recognized? guess why...
    Did you know that Israeli companies in 2020 were advertising applications for Portuguese citizenship during Black Friday sales?

Therefore, the change that the law will undergo is to improve it, not to allow it to be manipulated or prostituted.
    Thanks for well structured reply.
    I don't disagree with any of what you said. In agreement.

However it's just the timing of this with middle east escalation could mess things up. On the rest share the same opinion, needs a review.
    To not be misunderstood, main worry is about the timing.
    But well, let's see how it goes.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Bellingcat did an interesting analysis of the crater after the hospital bombing. It doen't reach a conclusion yet on who was responsible, but regardless it seems like it was unlikely to have been caused by the kind of 500-2000lbs ordnance a JDAM guides.
    Last edited by Søren; October 19, 2023 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Søren View Post
    Bellingcat did an interesting analysis of the crater after the hospital bombing. It doen't reach a conclusion yet on who was responsible, but regardless it seems like it was unlikely to have been caused by the kind of 500-2000lbs ordnance a JDAM guides.
    That conclusion is only attributed to Marc Garlasco who is an intelligence analyst. Garlasco's tweet, which is linked in the article, claims that even the smallest JDAM leaves a 3m crater which is simply false, given the fact that crater size is based on ground characteristics and whether the JDAM used airburst mode or not. The 3m crater is likely based on loose soil where tests are often made. The problem with these so-called analysis is that they often treat their version of circumstances as if they exist in a vacuum.

Moreover, one theory that's not much entertained is that it could actually be a failed Iron Dome missile as well. Their sound is similar and looking at the way they explode their explosion characteristics is quite similar to what we see at the hotel explosion.
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; October 19, 2023 at 02:22 PM.
    The Armenian Issue

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by fkizz View Post
    Thanks for well structured reply.
    I don't disagree with any of what you said. In agreement.
    Thanks! I'll leave these brief notes for anyone who might think that our secular state holds animosity towards any specific religion.Quite the opposite

World Youth Day 2023
    A couple of months ago, Pope Francis ended a five-day trip to this country with a massive open-air Mass for an estimated 1.5 million people. PM Antonio Costa called it "the biggest international event" Portugal has ever hosted.

Last September, we had here The major event: the “European Day of Jewish Culture

And as you know, my friend, a recognized, private secondary Islamic school near Lisbon achieved in 2009 the status of being the best school in the national ranking of public and private secondary schools. It counts +- 200 pupils, with nearly 10% of them being non-Muslims. International School of Palmela
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Not too much of a surprise Hamas has North Korean weapons. Iran likely buys North Korean arms and supplies them to Hamas and Hezbollah. North Korean arms are probably cheap too. And the North Koreans are desperate for any kind of cash flow
    Yeah, that is far more likely than North Korea directly arming Hamas, since Kim Jong-un has struck arms deals with Iran and Russia which it views as peers if not equals. Hamas ruling the tiny Gaza Strip all the way on the other side of Asia in the middle of blockaded territory is obviously not that. Still, you can't let us have fun and imagine this is what's really going on behind the scenes? Live footage of North Korea and Hamas arms deal:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It's a pity U.S. politics doesn't have any alternative between a pro-Israel, pro-war, pro-confrontation Biden and a pro-Israel, pro-Russia, pro-war Trump. It's like two sides of the same idiotic coin. I always thought that Biden was always going to be a better alternative than Trump, but now that I see just how pro-Israel and pro-confrontation he is, I'm not so sure. Doomed if you do, doomed if you don't. Both parties seem unwilling to give up their candidates. So we're headed for a train wreck either way. Hooray for human stupidity and short-sightedness!

In any case, I'm sure Biden's pro-Israel stance is gonna back fire bad on him (mostly because the progressive left is heavily against Israel, and because Trump is pro-isolation). Now in foresight, I feel Trump is going to win the next elections, unless the Democrats find another candidate.

“US official resigns over Biden’s ‘destructive, unjust’ arms to Israel

In the letter, first reported by HuffPost, Paul said Hamas’s attack on Israel was “a monstrosity of monstrosities”.

“But I believe to the core of my soul that the response Israel is taking, and with it the American support both for that response and for the status quo of the occupation, will only lead to more and deeper suffering for both the Israeli and the Palestinian people,” he wrote.

“This administration’s response – and much of Congress’s as well – is an impulsive reaction built on confirmation bias, political convenience, intellectual bankruptcy, and bureaucratic inertia.”

On Wednesday, the New York Times reported that Joe Biden plans to ask Congress to approve $10bn in “mostly military assistance” for Israel.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...D3YZ-sSBxnU6AY

Member of S.I.N.

Civitate

I seriously doubt Biden supporting Israel is going to sink his election chances. Never in the history of presidential elections has a candidate's stance on the Israel-Palestine conflict defined whenever they would win or not.

In fact is an outright assumption Americans in general care about Palestine. They don't.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

I seriously doubt Biden supporting Israel is going to sink his election chances. Never in the history of presidential elections has a candidate's stance on the Israel-Palestine conflict defined whenever they would win or not.

In fact is an outright assumption Americans in general care about Palestine. They don't.
    The U.S. electorate has grown increasingly isolationist since the failure of Afghanistan and Iraq. No one in their right minds would have ever imagined that the Republicans would be the ones calling for isolationsim and U.S. military withdrawal from all military conflicts in the world. And yet now that is the reality. The pro-war Republicans have all been defeated by the the anti-war isolationist Trump Republicans. The alternative to Trump Republicans are all powerless to stop it. As for Democrats, it is no secret that most of the Democrat vote is an anti-Trump vote. The Bernie Sander Democrats, which account probably to around 1/3rd of the Democrat vote, are against interventionism and war, and heavily pro-Palestine. The only reason they voted Biden in is because of their mutual dislike for Trump. Now that Biden has shown his true colors, that is likely to change, and perhaps galvanize a civil war in the Democrat Party (which has already been already going through a divisive split since Obama times). That will only become more apparent in the next few months. But don't take my word for it... the split is already happening as you can see from Josh Paul's resignation.
    Last edited by Siblesz; October 19, 2023 at 11:22 PM.

Member of S.I.N.

Ukiah's Avatar Decanus

Civitate

The U.S. electorate has grown increasingly isolationist since the failure of Afghanistan and Iraq.
    Iraq and Afghanistan didn't stop the US public from supporting Ukraine when they were attacked.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/19/polit...den/index.html

And current polls show Americans supporting Biden's policy on Israel.

No one in their right minds would have ever imagined that the Republicans would be the ones calling for isolationsim and U.S. military withdrawal from all military conflicts in the world. And yet now that is the reality. The pro-war Republicans have all been defeated by the the anti-war isolationist Trump Republicans.
    What? The majority of Republicans in Congress are pro-Israel and pro-Ukraine. Isolationist Republicans are a minority. They also just took a hit in the wake of the Israel conflict.

The alternative to Trump Republicans are all powerless to stop it. As for Democrats, it is no secret that most of the Democrat vote is an anti-Trump vote. The Bernie Sander Democrats, which account probably to around 1/3rd of the Democrat vote, are against interventionism and war, and heavily pro-Palestine. The only reason they voted Biden in is because of their mutual dislike for Trump. Now that Biden has shown his true colors, that is likely to change, and perhaps galvanize a civil war in the Democrat Party (which has already been already going through a divisive split since Obama times). That will only become more apparent in the next few months. But don't take my word for it... the split is already happening as you can see from Josh Paul's resignation.
    Again what? Bernie Democrats compose 1/3 of the Democrat vote? According to who? Democrats by far in Congress have supported US foreign policy time and time again in recent votes on Ukraine.

Resignation of one official means little to nothing. I think you are overestimating the power of progressives in the US.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC