Page 128 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2878103118119120121122123124125126127128
Results 2,541 to 2,553 of 2553

Thread: Hamas attacks southern Israel

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Hamas attacks southern Israel

This is a transcript in English of a report on the protests at Amsterdam University

Quote Originally Posted by Folia
    Several thousand students and lecturers – including from VU and HvA – gathered this Monday morning in a so-called walk-out on Nieuwe Achtergracht to protest against the ‘disproportionate police violence’ of the past week, to which the UvA administration allegedly exposed them. They also criticize the UvA administration's refusal to sever ties with Israeli institutions and the university’s silence on the situation in Gaza.

From the bridge, where speakers addressed the students and lecturers on both sides of the canal, there were repeated urgent calls for the UvA administration to resign: ‘We demand your resignation!’ Junior sociology lecturer Sam Hamer, one of the organizers, supports this demand but doubts whether it would actually have an effect.

‘The people who are eligible to be in a new administration are probably just as unwilling as the current board members,’ he says. Therefore, he advocates for more say for students and lecturers at the university.

It appears that the demonstrators are seriously considering the possibility of escalation.

Vandalism

Around a quarter past one, the demonstration became more grim. Hundreds of demonstrators entered the REC-ABCD with much commotion. Some demonstrators, dressed entirely in black, moved through the upper floors of building ABCD. Others stayed in the hall, where they set up tents, knocked over plant pots, and shouted out the number of a lawyer. The latter is a precautionary measure, the demonstrators explain, ‘in case they get arrested’. It seems the demonstrators are seriously anticipating escalation.

One and a half million in damage

Previous vandalism by student demonstrators has resulted in about 1.5 million euros in damage, according to the UvA. It is still unknown who will pay these costs. Vandalism also occurred on Monday afternoon.

Meanwhile, a journalist and camera crew from the broadcaster PowNed were urged to leave by the demonstrators. Al Jazeera and Nieuwsuur were also hindered from doing their work. All press was declared unwelcome, as announced via megaphone. Shortly thereafter, amid a display of flags, a call for an intifada was made.

Several house rules of the UvA have been violated. Many demonstrators wore face-covering clothing, vandalism occurred, and slogans were chanted, including the often controversial ‘From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free’. Security was nowhere to be seen. How the UvA will respond to this is still unknown. Lecturers and students in the occupied building have now been asked to leave. The UvA has announced this in REC-ABCD.
    I think that illustrates student protests quite well. There are probably decent people there who just want the institution they are part of to "do something" even if it is a hollow gesture, but they're apparently oblivious of or surprised by the radical element they are associating themselves with.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus
    Nobody likes to be lectured, but history matters. Who is misinformed?
    The majority of protesters you consider historians profess support for far right theocratic terrorists warring in opposition to my country and its ally. They are either historically misinformed, or my self-described enemies, or both. It necessarily requires a fair amount of misinformation to believe these same people are in fact the good guys and they don’t mean what they say and do. Meanwhile every random Israeli ever quoted as saying “death to Palestine” is supposed to be complicit in the moral travesty that is their collective existence because “history” or because another Jew said something bad about them. If history education is at issue here, perhaps these protestors rioting every election season over the latest fashionable outrage can learn about oppressed ethnic groups in China, Russia or Iran so these can be added to the “anti imperialist national liberation struggles” for a change. Or maybe they already know why only countries aligned with the US are worth vandalizing university campuses over.
    Who is Sarah Streyder
    I don’t know, and I doubt you do either, but suffice to say her marriage to a US service member does not preclude hostility to US interests and our allies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muizer
    I think that illustrates student protests quite well. There are probably decent people there who just want the institution they are part of to "do something" even if it is a hollow gesture, but they're apparently oblivious of or surprised by the radical element they are associating themselves with.
    I can only speak from an American perspective, but when 63% of student protesters and 40% of students here admit to supporting Hamas, it’s safe to say naïveté is not an accurate description of what’s going on. Anyone remotely aware of the issue knows Hamas is a radical element.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; Yesterday at 06:57 PM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    The majority of protesters you consider historians profess support for far right theocratic terrorists warring in opposition to my country and its ally. They are either historically misinformed, or my self-described enemies, or both. It necessarily requires a fair amount of misinformation to believe these same people are in fact the good guys and they don’t mean what they say and do. Meanwhile every random Israeli ever quoted as saying “death to Palestine” is supposed to be complicit in the moral travesty that is their collective existence because “history” or because another Jew said something bad about them. If history education is at issue here, perhaps these protestors rioting every election season over the latest fashionable outrage can learn about oppressed ethnic groups in China, Russia or Iran so these can be added to the “anti imperialist national liberation struggles” for a change. Or maybe they already know why only countries aligned with the US are worth vandalizing university campuses over.

I don’t know, and I doubt you do either, but suffice to say her marriage to a US service member does not preclude hostility to US interests and our allies.

I can only speak from an American perspective, but when 63% of student protesters and 40% of students here admit to supporting Hamas, it’s safe to say naïveté is not an accurate description of what’s going on. Anyone remotely aware of the issue knows Hamas is a radical element.
    It's hard to argue about Hamas being a radical group when the IDF are committing a genocide on live tv for everyone to see...
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

It's hard to argue about Hamas being a radical group when the IDF are committing a genocide on live tv for everyone to see...
    It’s harder to argue the term genocide could retain significance if any war involving ethnic conflict, high civilian casualties, food shortages and mass displacement qualifies as such. In any case, Hamas’ extremism is not a function of what sort of label can be put on the IDF. The most sustainable way the latter can comply with international pressure to prevent a situation prone to atrocities is to accomplish its objectives and eliminate the political and military capabilities of jihadists in Gaza and the West Bank. For a country its size, it is more daunting a task ahead of Israel than anything the US attempted in Iraq or Afghanistan. Yet, as Hamas proved on 10/7, it is as critical a national security priority as any Islamist terror threat we faced at the turn of the century.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; Yesterday at 09:17 PM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

…A response I anticipated in my last post. As I also said, this is not debatable so I won’t, except to acknowledge 2/3 student protesters support Hamas. Hamas is a terror group. People who support terror groups are pro-terrorist.
    You have found a study that presents data (who the hell is intelligentdotcom? eeriously, these people need help when presenting the results, probably also regarding to the methodology) obtained through an online survey in which 63 percent of alleged participants in the protests say they feel some degree of sympathy for Hamas (a lot 33%, a little 30%). Based on this online poll, some shouts from some participants in one university and a pamphlet found in another, you are saying that the American protesters in American universities are pro-Hamas, pro-terrorists and "enemies of their country".

I don't know if I should be surprised that those who consider all Palestinians to a greater or lesser extent part of Hamas also consider those who support the Palestinian people in the West to be pro-terrorists or directly terrorists. I don't know if I should be surprised that those who defended mass deportations of palestiian families beyond the border are now saying this:

"I am proposing to treat the pro-terrorist majority as they have identified themselves: as violent political “revolutionaries” who are hostile to the US and our allies, fighting “in solidarity” with terrorist groups and foreign adversaries who share their contempt for and struggle against us and our national interests from within".

Have you reflected or do you still want to clean America from this fifth column?

PS: Good luck on your mission to return to the legendary wasp United States, with a traditional family where everyone fears both Yahweh and the reds.
    Last edited by mishkin; Today at 03:40 AM.

The majority of protesters you consider historians profess support for far right theocratic terrorists warring in opposition to my country and its ally. They are either historically misinformed, or my self-described enemies, or both.
    Or you're conflating sympathy towards fighting against Israeli brutality in Gaza with support for acts of terrorism.
    The Armenian Issue

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Or you're conflating sympathy towards fighting against Israeli brutality in Gaza with support for acts of terrorism.
    In that same wonderful survey it is said something like that only nine percent of students oppose the existence of the state of Israel (primary objective of Hamas?), 10% show some degree of anti-Semitism. Among the participants in this discussion we could prepare a more serious survey. I'm not saying that these people have prejudices or any agenda, but they have done and presented work.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Hamas aren't your regular terrorist group operating from the interstices of an otherwise normal, peaceful society. They are a terrorist regime with a military engaging in warfare. Of course if you only protest against one side in a war, that has the effect of supporting the other. There is no escaping that on the ground, holding the guns and the bombs and being in charge of negotiations, Hamas is the flagbearer of the Palestinian cause. That sucks if you're pro-palestine and against Hamas but please don't take the cowards way out of not wanting to face that reality.
    Last edited by Muizer; Today at 04:46 AM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

I also know how to praise Biden when it's necessary and when it's fair.
    House passes bill forcing Biden to send weapons to Israel
    The bill is unlikely to get a vote in the Senate, and the White House has said Biden would veto it.
    South Africa defended yesterday the appeal made to the International Court of Justice to demand the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Rafah, renewed its support for a ceasefire, and called for Israel to be declared an "apartheid state." One of South Africa’s legal representatives, lawyer Vaughan Lowe, criticized Israel's alleged right to legitimate self-defense: "The right to self-defense does not mean 'violence without limits," and added, "It is increasingly clear that Israel’s actions in Rafah are part of the ultimate goal: the total destruction of Gaza and the Palestinian people.
    Israel is at this very moment presenting its arguments to the court, rejecting the accusations of genocide and defending its alleged commitment to international law.

That being said, every day, we hear, in front of our televisions, the Palestinians asking, as the Israeli army advances: “Where can I take my wife, my children, my parents?”. These Palestinians speak only, without mentioning it, of the right to freedom of movement, as basic as the right to eat, to breathe: a right they do not have and that has long been denied to them.
    As we see, Palestinians have only the duty of forced displacement. But they do not even know where to go, for in the name of security (?!), they can always return to the starting point, even if it may no longer exist. Thus, I believe it is not an exaggeration to say, in light of what we see daily, that the Palestinian people are left with only one right: the right to die. Or is it an obligation?
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Hamas aren't your regular terrorist group operating from the interstices of an otherwise normal, peaceful society. They are a terrorist regime with a military engaging in warfare. Of course if you only protest against one side in a war, that has the effect of supporting the other. There is no escaping that on the ground, holding the guns and the bombs and being in charge of negotiations, Hamas is the flagbearer of the Palestinian cause. That sucks if you're pro-palestine and against Hamas but please don't take the cowards way out of not wanting to face that reality.
    In your world in black and white, on October 7, Hamas, representing the Palestinians, started a war against Israel. For the eleventh time, this is not Team Israel or Team Hamas and this is not a conflict started because some crazy people totally alienated from reality, out of nowhere, decided to attack Israel. They are fundamentalist terrorists, horrible people, responding as violent fundamentalists respond to perceived or in many cases real attacks and offenses.
    Last edited by mishkin; Today at 07:21 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    In your world in black and white, on October 7, Hamas, representing the Palestinians, started a war against Israel. For the eleventh time, this is not Team Israel or Team Hamas and this is not a conflict started because some crazy people totally alienated from reality, out of nowhere, decided to attack Israel. They are fundamentalist terrorists, horrible people, responding as violent fundamentalists respond to perceived or in many cases real attacks and offenses.
    You quote my post, but you don't actually address its content. Which part of it don't you agree with?

Based on this online poll, some shouts from some participants in one university and a pamphlet found in another, you are saying that the American protesters in American universities are pro-Hamas, pro-terrorists and "enemies of their country".
    Based on survey data and multiple clear examples provided (there are plenty more, and more every day), most student protestors support Hamas and are hostile to the US and Israel. I’m glad we have finally progressed from “it’s not happening” to “it is happening but that’s good.” As I said originally, I have no interest in chasing goalposts in a discussion where people are determined to minimize and explain away any amount of evidence.

Yes, people who support terrorists are pro-terrorist. Yes, that is not a good thing. Yes, the only possible conclusions are these protestors are wildly ignorant, or they mean what they say when they voice support for terrorism and hatred of my country and its allies loudly and often. No, furious coping about McCarthyism is not a counterargument.
    In that same wonderful survey it is said something like that only nine percent of students oppose the existence of the state of Israel (primary objective of Hamas?), 10% show some degree of anti-Semitism.
    That’s the same proportion of students who have participated in protests, so that tracks. ~60% of those said they would not even be able to tolerate interpersonal relationships with someone who supports Israel.

Over 80% of students believe the protesters should be held accountable for vandalism and violence. 90% say taking over campuses and blocking students’ access is unacceptable ~70% say occupying buildings on campus is unacceptable. ~60% of students say the protestors have no right to defy orders to disperse.

https://www.axios.com/2024/05/07/pol...hamas-protests

If most students don’t support these tactics and less than 10% have actually participated, it’s clear the Biden mega donors funding and organizing this extremist minority to cause havoc before the elections are a key factor in their outsized influence and nationwide reach. Yes, this should be investigated and prosecuted as domestic terrorism from top to bottom. But instead, I bet all this will magically go away by the time Biden is inaugurated for a second term, just like the last election. That’s the definition of a “fifth column,” except the US finds itself in a unique position where this malicious group is actually the liberal establishment, whose institutional dominance is nigh unassailable and whose political representatives control 2 of the 3 branches of government. We’re ed.

Blog Entries

Muizer, do I have to spell your own message for you? Can you explain for example this?

"Of course if you only protest against one side in a war, that has the effect of supporting the other". You seriously don't understand that you can support the Palestinians in Gaza, be against Israeli politics, and not support Hamas? Who supports Hamas here for protesting the murders of Palestinian civilians?

"They are a terrorist regime" Like what, like Iran? Since when?

~60% of those said they would not even be able to tolerate interpersonal relationships with someone who supports Israel.
    Count me among them. She would have to be extremely beautiful and mute.
    Last edited by mishkin; Today at 07:33 AM.