Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The (new) Shogun series

Default Re: The (new) Shogun series

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Loving this so far. Cosmo Jarvis (John Blackthorn), is an absolute scene stealer. Remember that old video of the guy who was arrested for running out of resturants, the 'Succulent Chinese meal' guy. Pretty sure that's who Cosmo based his speach and humour on for this role and it's funny AF. Looks stunning too.
    Loved the first 5 episodes. Can't wait for more! That earthquake scene was wild!
    And I wasn't aware of the copied accent, it fits perfectly with the character lol!

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

I just hope it's a limited series and they don't stupidly extend it for x seasons

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    I just hope it's a limited series and they don't stupidly extend it for x seasons
    That being said I did come a cross a review lamenting what they saw as the tyranny of arc and a short seasons of long episodes. They thought you lost the chance to have i dunno what word they used but say whimsy episodes that explore the characters/world but are not some high stakes driver in the arc.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    That being said I did come a cross a review lamenting what they saw as the tyranny of arc and a short seasons of long episodes. They thought you lost the chance to have i dunno what word they used but say whimsy episodes that explore the characters/world but are not some high stakes driver in the arc.
    If writers or producers have said that, if they didnt already have dozens of original settings and characters they wanted to work on, they should be ashamed.

As far as I'm concerned, they can try to take advantage of the success of the series as much as they want as long as they give this season a coherent and "conclusive" (sorry) ending. I am truly disgusted to see how they destroy scripts/ideas just to see if they have an audience for one more season.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Imo the scenery is nice, but the plot is too formulaic. I can only watch so many times x characters being saved by plot armor.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Loved the first 5 episodes. Can't wait for more! That earthquake scene was wild!
    And I wasn't aware of the copied accent, it fits perfectly with the character lol!
    Yeeeeeee, I was like, no thanks mr Earth sir, please let me be.
    Last edited by Narf; March 29, 2024 at 09:41 AM.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

If writers or producers have said that, if they didnt already have dozens of original settings and characters they wanted to work on, they should be ashamed.

As far as I'm concerned, they can try to take advantage of the success of the series as much as they want as long as they give this season a coherent and "conclusive" (sorry) ending. I am truly disgusted to see how they destroy scripts/ideas just to see if they have an audience for one more season.

I think the intent was not how you are seeing it but say rather looking at Babylon 5. It had a predetermined overall arc and season arcs. But at 22 45 minute episodes there was room to have some shows that just where essentially free standing and did not need to relentless be pushing the narrative (or minimally so) but could have fun in the world created. More so because you were only doing for 45 minutes and not some 60-80 minute run.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

I want a prequel.

If you think they're monsters and their peasants absolutely miserable, wait until you watch the civil war period and invasion of Korea.

It's a lot better than most historical shows which can't even depict the contemporary environment correctly.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    I want a prequel.

If you think they're monsters and their peasants absolutely miserable, wait until you watch the civil war period and invasion of Korea.

It's a lot better than most historical shows which can't even depict the contemporary environment correctly.
    Good points. They really do manage to make it feel authentic to the time period. Agreed about the Sengoku civil wars and the Imjin War in Joseon dynasty Korea (I guess some other fictional dynasty in Korea, since this story is about the Toranaga Shogunate, not the historical Tokugawa Shogunate or Toyotomi Hideyoshi's regime beforehand). They even reference the previous war in Korea several times in the show, for instance, with references to piles of corpses.

The production values are clearly the show's strongest suit, but the acting is also quite good, and the dialogue is often top notch. Kyriakos brings up a fair point about plot armor, but...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ...the show does kill off some characters like Toranaga's own son Nagakado in the latest episode. He's also killed in a way that's simple, brutal, and realistic, not exactly in an elaborate *Game of Thrones* shock value ending for his character.

Blog Entries

also soundtrack, atticus ross

Blog Entries

things happen, but the pace seems too slow sometimes. I guess the next one (10) will be the last episode.
    Last edited by mishkin; April 17, 2024 at 05:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Quite a disappointing end to the season for me, in the last episodes it was clear that they were lengthening it, it could have been a great series if they had condensed the action, told the entire story in ten or twelve episodes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123