Thread: How do I make a unit "fast moving"?

Default How do I make a unit "fast moving"?

I cant seem to find any unit ability in the EDU that gives the "fast moving" ability to a unit. I can't find any difference between fast moving and slow moving units that I can use to give a non-fast moving unit the ability to move faster.

If someone could just point me to the appropriate thread or just explain here how to do it, I would be most grateful.

:hmmm:

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How do I make a unit "fast moving"?

I think this is controlled by the skeleton in the dmb, ie; fs_semi_fast_archer'
    'fs_slow_spearman' ,

hc= unit is mounted

Go to the export_descr_unit file and find the relevant unit entry. Make a note of the 'soldier' type - I think it's the sixth line of the entry.

Then go to the descr_model_battle file and find the corresponding soldier type. The second line will be for the skeleton. For a normal moving unit, you will see things such as fs_spearman, fs_swordsman, fs_javelinman, etc. Change these to fs_fast_spearman, fs_fast_swordsman, fs_fast_javelinman, etc. And that's it. Depending on which version/mod you're playing, I think infantry only have two speeds - normal and fast.

However, some games have more variety. I'm not sure if this applies to vanilla RTW, but I know that many of the main mods for 1.5 - RTRPE, EB, etc. have a greater range of skeletons. For instance, fs_slow_swordsman, fs_swordsman, fs_semi_fast_swordsman, fs_fast_swordsman. if you want, you can import one of the animation sets from one of those mods into your game. My game's based on RTRPE, but I've 'harvested' the animation files from another mod, I forget which one, so as to give greater range. This can be a bit tricky, so for now you're probably best off sticking with the basics.

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

Sorry to revive the thread, but what about semi_fast skeletons? Do slow_ skeletons actually make the unit move slower?

I always thought these prefixes were related to the quickness of attack animations, does it actually have any relation?

Actually the [speed] prefix determines the moving speed more than anything else. Slow skeletons move quite slower than fast ones, but they use the same attack animations iirc.

EyebrowsMulligan's Avatar Civis

At least reactivating a three year old thread proves that I tried searching first....

Can anyone tell me how cavalry are given the fast moving trait? I don't think its linked to the skeleton of the rider in the dmb (as hinted at above) and I can't find anything specifcally to do with movement speed in descr_mount either, unless the movement rate is pre-defined by the type of mount (ie light is automatically fast moving).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Its the skeleton of horse in dmb.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Medusa0's Avatar Artifex

fs_fast_horse and fs_medium_horse have the fast moving attribute. fs_horse and fs_cataphract_horse don't.

EyebrowsMulligan's Avatar Civis

Thanking you!