Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Germany

Hub'ite's Avatar Primicerius

Default Germany

Tomorrow I'm flying to Frankfurt and reporting to Ramstein ABS for 2 years. So how is Germany for Americans?

Cúchulainn's Avatar 我不是老外,我是野蛮人

Default Re: Germany

Well "sprechen sie deutsch?". If not then how 'American' is you accent, you don't want to stand out in a crowd do you
    or alternatively you can tell people that you are Irish, always works as nobody hates us.
    First Child of Noble
    I've had my fun and that's all that matters
    Je Combats L'universelle Araignée

William the Bastard's Avatar Invictus Maneo

Don't mention the war! I've mentioned it once or twice and think I got away with it! LOL only kidding! If you like strong beer and a lot of it you'll love Germany.

you should probably heil all that u meet kidding.
    Just behave normal, always helps

Quote Originally Posted by Cúchulainn View Post
    Well "sprechen sie deutsch?". If not then how 'American' is you accent, you don't want to stand out in a crowd do you
    or alternatively you can tell people that you are Irish, always works as nobody hates us.
    I have a light Southern accent. But I've heard from other Airman that the local German females love American boys. I hope to God thats true.

I'll keep politics out of my daily conversations. And yes I'm a beer man myself. Not a big fan of American beer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hub'ite View Post
    Not a big fan of American beer though.
    As soon as you get a taste for the European beers you will never want to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by William the Bastard View Post
    As soon as you get a taste for the European beers you will never want to leave.
    How much higher is the alcohol content than American beer. I can put away 4 or 5 Buds before I start buzzing.

Cúchulainn's Avatar 我不是老外,我是野蛮人

But I've heard from other Airman that the local German females love American boys. I hope to God thats true.
    Ahh, Fräulein, my holidays in Germany were good, they were very GOOD
    First Child of Noble
    I've had my fun and that's all that matters
    Je Combats L'universelle Araignée

How much higher is the alcohol content than American beer. I can put away 4 or 5 Buds before I start buzzing.
    Put it this way you are going to get wa****d. It tastes soo much better than Bud. You will need to build up a tolerance for it so do not start drinking pint for pint with the locals!

Syron's Avatar Civitate

lightweight!

I would pace yourself at first, otherwise you will get absolutely ****ed on European beer.
    Member and acting regent of the House of Kazak Borispavlovgrozny
    Under the patronage of Kazak Borispavlovgrozny
    Freedom from religion is just as much a basic human right as freedom of it.

Particle Physics Gives Me a Hadron

Depends. You can have 'water' with 3,5% to 'real hard stuff' with 8,9%. I prefer the later.
    Ramstein is somewhere in middlegermany, right? Well, since I'm from north germany my knowlegde is somewhat limited about local beer brands. But if you stumble across Andechser give it a try. Its my favorite
    "Worüber man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen."
    -Wittgenstein

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

off to see the world ey Hub?

lucky you says I

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

But I've heard from other Airman that the local German females love American boys. I hope to God thats true.
    Girls always like foreigners for some reason, so being American will definitely increase your chances.

Edmonton's Avatar Miles

Chech beer is smth 4.3 it's better in pubs(and cheap ) ,Irish isn't strong either.Higher then 6.0 kills beer taste 5.2 is all right all around.
    Glad Påsk - Happy Easter !

Talk to Webbird, hes from germany. I dont think hes in frankfurt but maybe he can give you some tips. He also has a sexy bald head which you can rub for good luck.

Necromancer's Avatar Campidoctor

DON'T point at people, they take it much more personally over there than we do here. Other than that, just use common sense.

They've probably taught you some basic German by now seeing as you are being stationed there for the next 2 yrs. But I figured maybe I could help you out a bit.

Here's some idioms that might come in handy... Just watchin' your back

"Ich bin völl" - Literal translation: "I am full"
    While "völl" auf Deutsch means "full", in this case it means pregnant or drunk, depending upon what area of Germany you're in. Basically, you might not want to say this, many foreigners make the mistake of saying this while in resturaunts.

"Zalen, bitte!" - "Check, please!"
    Just raise your hand in a resturaunt and say this to your waiter when you've finished your meal.

"Ich drücke die Däume!" - Literal Translation: "I'll press my thumbs!"
    It's their ways of saying "I'll cross my fingers for you!"

"Unter vier augen" - Literal Translation: "Under four eyes"
    Their way of saying "This remains a secret"

"Guten Beinbruck" - Literal Translation: "Good leg break"
    Their way of saying "Let's break a leg"

If you need any more help PM me and I'll see if I can help you. But I'm sure you'll pick up on the language pretty quickly because you'll be surrounded by it, good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    "Ich bin völl" - Literal translation: "I am full"
    While "völl" auf Deutsch means "full", in this case it means pregnant or drunk, depending upon what area of Germany you're in. Basically, you might not want to say this, many foreigners make the mistake of saying this while in resturaunts.
    Actualy, the term is "voll" not "völl"

"Zalen, bitte!" - "Check, please!"
    Just raise your hand in a resturaunt and say this to your waiter when you've finished your meal.
    Ok, just a minor spelling error: "zahlen"

"Ich drücke die Däume!" - Literal Translation: "I'll press my thumbs!"
    It's their ways of saying "I'll cross my fingers for you!"
    Correct: "Ich drücke dir die Daumen."

"Guten Beinbruck" - Literal Translation: "Good leg break"
    Their way of saying "Let's break a leg"
    The saying is: "Hals und Beinbruch" (neck and leg break), which is borrowed from a yiddish saying "hazloche und broche", which means nothing more than "success and blessing". Yeah, language mix is a beautiful thing

Dont wanted to be nitpick here, only offer some correction
    Yeah, I know my spelling isnt the best neither
    Last edited by Zombimode; March 23, 2007 at 05:26 PM.
    "Worüber man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen."
    -Wittgenstein

Irishman's Avatar Let me out of my mind

Man, just wear a "Man U" shirt and pretend to be a Brit, thats all I can give. Germans were friendly to me, not so much my american friend.
    The flow of time is always cruel... its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that does not change with time is a memory of younger days...

Under the perspicacious and benevolent patronage of the great and honorable Rez and a member of S.I.N

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.

Dont pretend to not be an american, because then you'd be a poser. People hate fakes much more than they hate Americans.

Trey's Avatar Primicerius

You'll be fine, I'm an American and everywhere I've gone i've had good experiences.
    for-profit death machine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast