Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Behold! New Units!

Default Behold! New Units!

Greetings, folks!

For those bored with the old CA Phalangite models I've got a gift for you!

Four new additions to the armies of Macedon!

Macedonian Phalanx Pikemen at ease

Macedonian Armoured Pikemen ready for action

Levy Pikemen are also available, but the picture got screwed up. Sorry!

And, of course, no Macedonian phalanx would be possible without these guys.

Macedonian Hypastists (Royal Guard) on the march

The models are complete, including the texture file, and attached.

I've been out of action for a while, due to having my computer fry during a storm-induced power surge. Lack of funds pushed me to use an older PC with no internet or Max capability, and I lost my old models in the surge. In the meantime, I've been working on texture files and researching units. These guys are the first line of a bunch I've been brainstorming.

I'm also experimenting with a new style, one that incorporates as many units as possible within a 512x512 texture file to save drive space. The textures are pretty basic, as I spent most of the design on the shields, trying to get them to look like real bronze. Even there I put no emblems or anything on them, so go nuts skinners!

What it means, however, is that all the previously shown models use the one texture file, which still leaves room for several shields and accoutrements such as weapons, shoulderpads, etc. There are three shields as well, with each unit using a different one. Hypastists use the one on the top left.

The models are for general use and not part of any mod. However, if anyone wants to use them in a mod, just don't claim them as your own exclusive property. They were designed for use with the two-handed pike animation in the EB animations pack (if any of those guys are here, I hope it's okay?), so they will look weird if you try them with vanilla RTW. I can do a vanilla version, if enough people want it.

They are also historically correct, as far as I could prove, and that modelling (and my own shameful ability) allowed for. The shields, for example, are to scale for a phalangite shield: 60cm in diameter (roughly 2 feet, for you Americans ) was the standard size.

Comments, criticisms and advise welcome!

I intend to attempt to make different phalangites for each of the Hellenic factions (including Pontus), and for Carthage, as well as other units that I have been working on. There is no set schedule, however, but I will post them in this thread as they are completed.

Preview of next upcoming unit: Greek/Macedonian Pikemen

A model intended for the Greek_Cities, but could be used by those that prefer this type of Thracian helmet on their Macedonians. Currently only "high" model finished, shown here in Macedonian colours.

{Sorry. Models removed from this post for updating. Updated models posted later in the thread}

sleighr
    Last edited by sleighr; April 13, 2007 at 07:09 PM. Reason: models updated

Locky's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Behold! New Units!

Wow those are excellent! I also like the fact you included the bronze ahoulder clasps on the cuirass. Make more

Some very nice work there, Sleighr - keep it up!

Alalalai !

Me likey.

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

not bad at all my only comment would be the red might be a bit intense, but this is personal preference more than anything more "real"
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

BigJake's Avatar Tiro

i agree with you rob.
    other than that, very nice

Hex Khan's Avatar Oooooh Yeeeaah!!

those skins are really nice, though personally not to my taste but still good work sleighr
    Historical Reenactor and Proud of it
    Winner of Best AAR Writer Award 2007

Giorgos's Avatar Deus Ex Machina

Very good work. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit_of_rob View Post
    not bad at all my only comment would be the red might be a bit intense, but this is personal preference more than anything more "real"
    Yeah, it is a bit, isn't it?

Well that's mainly because this particular battle had the sun coming in from the west, either early morning or late afternoon, I don't know. That always plays hell with the colours. I tried reloading different save games, but it always comes out like this, or deep fog. Too bad you don't get the time of day of the battle (CA are you listening?). But it's the same colour red as with the original Julii units, where I got the tunic from.

I could tone it down a bit, if that's wanted. It's just a texture change and wouldn't take me that long. And the texture, like I said, is half-assed. I only put in enough for it to work in the game and as a base for skinners.

These units are historical though. Everything about their design carefully researched, though modelling and game restrictions make it less than perfect, not to mention my own less than perfect skill.

Too bad you don't get the time of day of the battle (CA are you listening?). But it's the same colour red as with the original Julii units, where I got the tunic from.
    Have you tried the advanced options in the custom battles ?

BTW.
    For your thracian helmet, could you make it abit higher and the cheek pieces a bit longer, like in this pic ?

Default Thracian model II

Here's the other Macedonian model.

This pic shows the muted red tunics that were so hotly asked for on various forums. I will have the other three similar models loaded sometime tomorrow, but it's currently 4:06 AM and it's sleepy time!

Textures for this and the previous models are loaded separately.

Once I've finished these guys, I'm moving onto my favourite faction...Carthage!!

A taste of what's to come. Carthaginian Citizen Infantry. A beta model in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiades of Athens View Post
    Have you tried the advanced options in the custom battles ?

BTW.
    For your thracian helmet, could you make it abit higher and the cheek pieces a bit longer, like in this pic ?

Yeah, thanks. But I'm using these guys to fight an ongoing campaign, combining work with pleasure (otherwise I'd never have time to play). You might notice the Greek flags in the background here and there, plus these phalangites have pretty short spears for sarissae. Same stats, different models.

As for the Thracian helmet. Get me a photo of the real thing, or a decent painting, and I'll give it a shot (side or 3/4 view, please). I'm working on a similar helmet for Carthage, but as you can see in the previous post, it's a bit in the air. The other helmets I worked on from museum photos.

Don't know about the cheek guards though. I've been having problems with those; can't get them shaped right. I've been working on a couple of Thracian faceguards for I don't know how long. Plus I'm not fabulous at skinning metal, especially shiny metal. Those shields I did represent a month's worth of trial and error.

KALI's Avatar Senator

Not bad at all,
    I prefer your first Thracian helmets to the Thraco-attic and carthaginian ones. The texture on the laters,crest ridge need to be more uniform in tone.
    Well realised with the idea with the multi weapons and features per model its something I've been doing myself rescently. And is to be a feature of some up and coming mods I know of.
    I came, I saw, I went away again.

Sleighr, I like these a lot. Could you please make some unit cards for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawe View Post
    Sleighr, I like these a lot. Could you please make some unit cards for them?

It'll take a while. I'm getting hold of that template for info cards. But the unit cards are beyond me right now. I don't have, nor can afford, Photoshop (still using Paint Shop Pro 5), and though I can do textures and info cards, my unit cards don't work. Alpha channels don't work on them for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by KALI View Post
    Not bad at all,
    I prefer your first Thracian helmets to the Thraco-attic and carthaginian ones. The texture on the laters,crest ridge need to be more uniform in tone.
    Well, the latter helmet is more historical for 2nd to 1st century BCE, as it was more common then. The Thracian is more Early Successor. But I did it to give Macedon a more posteric image.

As for uniformity in tone, might I remind you that I did say the texture was half-assed? Change it as you like it. Be my guest.

To tell the truth, I really suck at metal textures. The shields took a month to get looking like they do.

Quote Originally Posted by KALI View Post
    Well realised with the idea with the multi weapons and features per model its something I've been doing myself rescently. And is to be a feature of some up and coming mods I know of.
    I'm trying to make a whole slew of greco-macedonian units. I didn't intend to get into the Successors, it just sort of dragged me in. Carthage, that's my first love.

The Thraco-attic helmet was originally to be Carthaginian, and some Punic units will use it, but I decided to give Carthage its own infantry helmet (as shown above), the one shown in most pics of Carthaginian armies. Granted the model shown still needs work (especially that friggin' brim! ), but when done it will be for Liby-Phoenician and Phoenician (Poeni) troops.

Default Whoops!

Had a report of a bug in the Macedonian Phalanx Pikeman. Apparently a hole would appear in the left cheekguard when the head turned.

This was due to an unassigned vertix in the skin modifier.

Apologies. Here's the new file.

Quote Originally Posted by sleighr
    As for the Thracian helmet. Get me a photo of the real thing, or a decent painting, and I'll give it a shot (side or 3/4 view, please). I'm working on a similar helmet for Carthage, but as you can see in the previous post, it's a bit in the air. The other helmets I worked on from museum photos.
    Here's the best, that I could come up with:

(last on is a thumbnail)

Maybe you want to try chalcidian or attic helmets too, I at least wouldn't stop you...

Here's the best, that I could come up with:...
    That first and last one were just what I was talking about, especially the first one. I prefer real pics to paintings. Too bad you don't have a larger size. I tried zooming it but it loses resolution too badly. Still, good shot.

I don't think I'm going to extend the size of the helmet, as I based it off these pics, and I believe your extended helmet is more misinterpreted art than fact. I haven't seen enough evidence to prove such a helmet existed, and even your pics show helmets of the same dimensions as mine. The pics I posted don't do them justice, as I can't get the camera any lower.

However, I did find a pic in my archives with my helmet and your cheekguards, so I'll give it a try, but cheekguards are a pain for me.

Maybe you want to try chalcidian or attic helmets too, I at least wouldn't stop you...
    Ehhh...I don't think so. I'm sticking to the time period that RTW starts at -3rd c. BCE to 1st c. AD. Plus I've already got a planned list of units. If I start putting out every greco-macedonian helmet ever done I'll never get out of phalanxes.

Quote Originally Posted by sleighr
    I don't think I'm going to extend the size of the helmet, as I based it off these pics, and I believe your extended helmet is more misinterpreted art than fact
    Lame excuse

Maybe I find some better pics still.

P.S.

Pic ist taken from Osprey's Macedonian Warrior

P.P.S.

Thanks btw I really appreciate your efforts.
    Last edited by Alcibiades of Athens; April 05, 2007 at 04:37 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast