Thread: Question

Default Question

Is it possible to add loyalty to Macedonians, Thrace in game to turn into rebel Independent Greek city states?

Maraxus's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Question

if loyalty is added for the Macs, it would mean giving them a rebel faction which requires removing an existing faction. I personally love Thrace and would not want to see them go, they are the most unique Greek faction and one of the most unique factions in the whole game.

I feel the Ptolomaic Rebels are the most likely to get cut but I personally am still pushing for Independent Celtic Tribes rather than Rebel Macs. The Senate Faction is another possibility but I think DBH wants to add another faction in the east to fill out all that empty space.

But in the end its all up to DBH.

"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." -Alexander the Great.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Well, SPQR slot is still being decided upon, some wants india in, others celt rebels or one of the old factions back...
    Other options could be minor powers like galatia, siracuse, bosphoran kingdom or massilia, all of which could offer some interesting gameplay choices...
    My personal opinion would be to give an option to have senate back as oracle of delphi or something similar, basically giving the player to have campaigns with missions but without the civil war as it's buggy...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Zarax View Post
    Well, SPQR slot is still being decided upon, some wants india in, others celt rebels or one of the old factions back...
    Other options could be minor powers like galatia, siracuse, bosphoran kingdom or massilia, all of which could offer some interesting gameplay choices...
    My personal opinion would be to give an option to have senate back as oracle of delphi or something similar, basically giving the player to have campaigns with missions but without the civil war as it's buggy...
    I like the idea of the Oracle at Delphi...
    Maybe if you don't complete a mission you get happiness penalties in the Pelopennesian cities or tax penalties, or something...cool.
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Missions have a cool aspect about them but so often in vanilla the senate was pressuring me to blockade this port or take this town and half the time it did not fit in with my goals. It always ends up happening anyway but I try not to rush into the every front war.

Although I guess it would not really matter because you are already at war with the IGCS, the Seleucids usually randomly blockade a port before turn 30 and Macedon is GUARANTEED to attack you (unless you annhilate them before they can).
    Member of S.I.N.

Well, I'm pretty sure senate can be customized to a certain degree, it shouldn't be too difficult to make missions to be MTW2 style, without too harsh consequences for failure.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Since senate slot is encrypted to SPQR faction, can you use that slot for Romans, and Julii slot for some other faction?
    *Also, is it possible to prolong time duration of the game, so that the game last longer?
    *And, one more thing, when some barbarian faction destroyed and they enter into horde "mod" where they head to?
    *Also, can some slot be used for faction which will appear during the game. Something like Timurids in MTW2?

You cannot play using the senate slot, however all factions that uses the original romans_ internal name can get the missions if senate is active...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

You cannot play using the senate slot, however all factions that uses the original romans_ internal name can get the missions if senate is active...
    You should tell that to Epirus in my version, it seems to work quite fine...

Well, at least in vanilla playing with romans_senate caused AI erratic behaviour and frequent CTDs...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

i forget who said this, but i read somewhere that if you change the name of the senate in every file every time its mentioned to a different name it plays like any other faction.

"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." -Alexander the Great.

Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus View Post
    i forget who said this, but i read somewhere that if you change the name of the senate in every file every time its mentioned to a different name it plays like any other faction.
    If it's possible, than would be much better to Romans use senate slot, and Julli slot for some other faction. Hey that's my opinion.

Laetus

Regarding the possibility of a new faction - personally I'd love to see the Indians in to put some pressure on the Eastern factions. It just feels a bit empty and aimless over to the East, while in reality the Mauryans were very active in the timeframe after Alexander's death.

Also, though my knowledge of the history of the Ptolomies is not perfect, I don't think that they are the best faction to have rebels. The Ptolomaic dynasty was remarkable for its stability, while Macedonia was a hotbed of backstabbing and treachery.

But as was said, it's down to DBH.

LucretiusTC's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus View Post

I feel the Ptolomaic Rebels are the most likely to get cut but I personally am still pushing for Independent Celtic Tribes rather than Rebel Macs. The Senate Faction is another possibility but I think DBH wants to add another faction in the east to fill out all that empty space.
    I also like to see Thrace as it is at least for the gameplay and for the balance of power. Even if the old Lysimachus (361-281 BC) messed up his chances to create a proper dynasty.

Otherwise there would be quite a big area to fill between Macedonians and Scythians. That "Independent Celtic Tribes" sound also quite interesting. I know that some players would like to see Epeirus as a Playable Faction, but isn´t that area quite crowded in action already? Other popular ideas seem to be a new faction in steppe area or that Indian option.

On the other hand I would like to keep those Ptolemaic Rebels. I think the Ptolemies also had some "troubles at home" and the rule of Egypt itself is quite a strategical and economic advantage. Comparing to the Seleucids they don´t need to worry so many long borders and nasty neighbours.

In the historical point of view there was Magas of Cyrene who started as a viceroy (308) and became the king of Cyrenaica (275-250). He was succeeded by Demetrius the Fair, the son of Demetrius Poliorcetes. The younger Demetrius was murdered after a brief reign, and Cyrenaica again became part of the Ptolemaean empire. Magas himself was the half-brother of Ptolemaios II Philadelfos, so it´s a small circle there.

http://www.livius.org/ct-cz/cyrenaica/cyrenaica.html

LucretiusTC, I would agree that Magas' Cyrene rebellion should be represented in XGM, but Cyrene was founded as a greek colony and Magas himself was a greek, Cyrene could be equally well represented as a part of the Greek City State Rebels (maybe starting with a bunch of nubian/desert AORs) perhaps starting out at war with the Ptolomies? Opening up a faction slot for something else. In Older versions of XGM before DBH made the Ptolomiac rebels, Cyrene was a part of the Greek City State Rebels anyway.

Both ways represent Cyrene quite well, I'm just trying to think up ways to open up faction slots with out stripping away too much from XGM. Ive never seen the Ptolomaic rebels really do much in campaigns anyway. Maybe some Libyan AORs (like Carthage's but weaker) would help represent Cyrene better, here i go again with AOR's.

I could possibly work out a script that captures Cyrene and Spawns a huge stack of IGCS's if the player is playing as Egypt or not as IGCS.

By the way Maraxus, I took a look at the textures you worked on and I think you missed the post with the proper RGB's for the IGCS units. Nevertheless I will try and see how it goes around, maybe I can just change the colour of the IGCS banners, which would do the trick ( though I doubt that will happen due to the logo...).

my bad, can you put a link to the post.

(edit) I just found the post, i assumed you wanted to use the Dacian colors. totally my mistake. If your willing to wait i can change them if you want, funny how much easier this stuff would be if we could just meet in person to iron out stupid mistakes early.
    Last edited by Maraxus; April 13, 2007 at 11:20 AM.

starXdiaMoo's Avatar Miles

Guys, I'm trying to turn the Dacians into a Greek faction, thus adding all the units of the Greek Cities faction. I also changed the culture of the Dacians in descr_sm_factions into Greek. But, when I tried a custom battle, some units had incorrect unit cards and upon selecting start battle, I got a error message saying ''could not find unit_model_UNIT''. So my question is, how do I make Dacia into a Greek faction with a Greek unit rooster like with the Independent Greeks? Could I do the same with the Independent Greeks and turn them into a ''copy'' Macedonian faction? (wanna change IGCS into Epiros)
    thnx in advance!

ΜΕΤΡΟΝ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΝ...
    Drop by and help me with the EB/BI 1.6 project!

unit rooster
    Now that's a new one...

I have found that trial and error seems to be the best way to do these kind of things, I have no way of helping you than just linking you here.
    I could test by making Epirus a shadow faction for the Macedonians in my version, though thus the Epirus campaign would be either removed or limited by date (scripted victory/defeat).

Something for Zarax and Dime - I have moved on to limiting all AI bonuses, but this made the AI very weak, so I had to start a background script that so far only monitors the money status of certain factions and depending on the amount of regions they have, they get a minimal amount of number their treasury can drop, if that happens, they get a tremendous money boost, also dependant on the amount of starting regions.
    I will work on getting all major battles of the ancient work into spawning stacks, though it will be up to the player to gather a defensive stack... I will have to explore the possibilities of wether I can assign the spawning stack a certain objective it must achieve...
    Last edited by RedFox; April 14, 2007 at 03:35 PM.

starXdiaMoo's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    Now that's a new one...

I have found that trial and error seems to be the best way to do these kind of things, I have no way of helping you than just linking you here.
    I could test by making Epirus a shadow faction for the Macedonians in my version, though thus the Epirus campaign would be either removed or limited by date (scripted victory/defeat).

Something for Zarax and Dime - I have moved on to limiting all AI bonuses, but this made the AI very weak, so I had to start a background script that so far only monitors the money status of certain factions and depending on the amount of regions they have, they get a minimal amount of number their treasury can drop, if that happens, they get a tremendous money boost, also dependant on the amount of starting regions.
    I will work on getting all major battles of the ancient work into spawning stacks, though it will be up to the player to gather a defensive stack... I will have to explore the possibilities of wether I can assign the spawning stack a certain objective it must achieve...
    Thnx RedFox , By the way, you are the first one who notices the word ''rooster''! It is an invention of my younger brother (not the word, but it's specific usage), and I must say his fantasy seems to exceed every expectations!

ΜΕΤΡΟΝ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΝ...
    Drop by and help me with the EB/BI 1.6 project!