Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: July 1st My doomsday

Default July 1st My doomsday

From July 1st 2007 it is illegal in england to smoke in enclosed public spaces,including work smoking rooms,pubs and resturants

As quite a heavy smoker I'm dreading this ,even though it is seen universally as a disgusting habit ,its one of the few vices in life I enjoy (being married means I've all given up the few intresting ones left) Are their any fellow brits who will be affected (negatively or positively ) and how is affecting other posters in this forum who live in areas where it is already been "controlled"

I'll be very intrested in peoples views

Thanks
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

TRSjarmen's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: July 1st My doomsday

I have been living with this for about two years now as I live in the New York/ New Jersey area. Its wierd at college cause I go to Maryland and it still is legal to smoke inside there. However, sorry to hear the bad news for you, im just glad i have not smoked in years.

Cúchulainn's Avatar 我不是老外,我是野蛮人

In Ireland the "no smoking ban" has been in effect for about 2-3 years, you get used to it pretty quickly, I just smoke on the street and in my house now, I am not giving up my vice to suit you non-smokers.
    First Child of Noble
    I've had my fun and that's all that matters
    Je Combats L'universelle Araignée

Quote Originally Posted by TRSjarmen View Post
    I have been living with this for about two years now as I live in the New York/ New Jersey area. Its wierd at college cause I go to Maryland and it still is legal to smoke inside there. However, sorry to hear the bad news for you, im just glad i have not smoked in years.
    Hows it affected other people who live in the New York area,was there a big out-cry when it was first enforced?
    and Future Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Cúchulainn View Post
    I am not giving up my vice to suit you non-smokers.
    Thats the spirit that has been lacking around fellow smokers,everyone just seems quite calm about it (they could be trying to ignore it till the time comes) Keep the faith (and your lighter)
    and Future Filmmaker

Steistas's Avatar Tiro

I'm not smoking, so am really glad that it is coming law starting in July, sorry Minibomb74, nothing personal, just I'm so annoyed with people smoking in train stations - one person smokes, 15 - 20 are trying at the same time not to breath.
    Member of B.A.L.T.S.

Don't overthink...

Quote Originally Posted by Steistas View Post
    I'm not smoking, so am really glad that it is coming law starting in July, sorry Minibomb74, nothing personal, just I'm so annoyed with people smoking in train stations - one person smokes, 15 - 20 are trying at the same time not to breath.
    No thats fair enough ,I'm quite glad in a way that there will be a ban in such places (I don't like people smoking in front of my children and I do smoke in the garden at home) I just wish that in social places there were such places with ventilation and blocked off from non smokers where we people who wish to die ,do it in peace and not annoy anyone else
    and Future Filmmaker

chris_uk_83's Avatar Physicist

I can't wait for it to come into effect. Personally I don't like going to the pub knowing that, becasue people will be smoking in there, I'll have to wash my clothes when I get home otherwise I'll stink.

Smoking's something you enjoy doing right? And the byproduct of your enjoyment is smoke, which gets in my hair, my clothes and my lungs, making me smell bad and making it difficult for me to breathe. I enjoy a pint now and then, the byproduct of my enjoyment is urine. How would you like it if I came up to you in a pub and p***ed all over you?

Seriously though I am looking forward to leaving a pub smelling the same as I went in (assuming nobody p***es on me!).

If I've helped you, rep me. I live for rep.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_uk_83 View Post
    I can't wait for it to come into effect. Personally I don't like going to the pub knowing that, becasue people will be smoking in there, I'll have to wash my clothes when I get home otherwise I'll stink.

Smoking's something you enjoy doing right? And the byproduct of your enjoyment is smoke, which gets in my hair, my clothes and my lungs, making me smell bad and making it difficult for me to breathe. I enjoy a pint now and then, the byproduct of my enjoyment is urine. How would you like it if I came up to you in a pub and p***ed all over you?

Seriously though I am looking forward to leaving a pub smelling the same as I went in (assuming nobody p***es on me!).

again I do have sympathy for you and the rest of the non smokers but would you deny us a seperate room with four walls and plenty of ventilation where us smokers can sit and not to feel like lepers.
    and Future Filmmaker

Steistas's Avatar Tiro

I agree on the special smoking places, that is fear, you cannot really one day just stop smoking while you are in town, btw about the pubs, the bigger ones have family areas, non smoking, I'm using them and coming out smelling same
    Member of B.A.L.T.S.

Don't overthink...

Cúchulainn's Avatar 我不是老外,我是野蛮人

You know what I just realised, us smokers will become a minority now, cool, imagine being mugged, if your man is caught you can have him arrested for hate crime now and in about 10 years there will be special laws to help the smoker minority, like tax relief and eventually "United Smoker Alliance", where we can get reperations from the cruel non-smoker for their attempts are destroying our culture.
    First Child of Noble
    I've had my fun and that's all that matters
    Je Combats L'universelle Araignée

Quote Originally Posted by Steistas View Post
    I agree on the special smoking places, that is fear, you cannot really one day just stop smoking while you are in town, btw about the pubs, the bigger ones have family areas, non smoking, I'm using them and coming out smelling same
    I can sympathise with you not wanting smell of smoke (it isn't very nice if your don't live with it and especially on kids clothes) but in theory a tiny well ventilated room boxed off would work yes? shame I have no power and the rest of my disgusting smoking species have no backbone .

N.B its well worth pointing out official parlament buildings will still have a smoking private members club
    and Future Filmmaker

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnęte Homme.

In Ireland the "no smoking ban" has been in effect for about 2-3 years, you get used to it pretty quickly, I just smoke on the street and in my house now, I am not giving up my vice to suit you non-smokers.
    the ban has been effective in France since.. what? 2 months, 3 ? And polls show that even among smokers it's now widely accepted, and that they've merely altered slightly their smoking habits to comply with it.

You know what I just realised, us smokers will become a minority now, cool, imagine being mugged, if your man is caught you can have him arrested for hate crime now and in about 10 years there will be special laws to help the smoker minority, like tax relief and eventually "United Smoker Alliance", where we can get reperations from the cruel non-smoker for their attempts are destroying our culture.
    oohhh so we will be moral refugees ,love it
    and Future Filmmaker

Works well for me, not a smoker. Don't plan on becoming one.

Steistas's Avatar Tiro

Minibomb74 I totally agree with you, but as you know yourself in this country or everything or nothing
    Member of B.A.L.T.S.

Don't overthink...

Quote Originally Posted by Sidus Preclarum View Post
    the ban has been effective in France since.. what? 2 months, 3 ? And polls show that even among smokers it's now widely accepted, and that they've merely altered slightly their smoking habits to comply with it.
    Oh no even the french have conformed
    and Future Filmmaker

I dont really care what people do with their own health.
    Why should we? Let people smoke. As long as they dont smoke in places where it can seriously disturb other people, like in public transport

Quote Originally Posted by Estlander View Post
    I dont really care what people do with their own health.
    Why should we? Let people smoke. As long as they dont smoke in places where it can seriously disturb other people, like in public transport
    Are there such rules where your from Estlander?
    and Future Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Minibomb74 View Post
    Are there such rules where your from Estlander?
    You can still smoke in public places. There are seats for non-smokers in restoraunts . It's never really bothered me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast