Thread: SKINNING - CODE OF CONDUCT

Default SKINNING - CODE OF CONDUCT

I have been a skinner for quite some time but all for my personal use.

I have used other peoples models for the basis of my skins - because I dont model and never will. I have a degree in fine art and all through art school many people used other peoples classical work as parts of their work (model) but to change any aspect of someones previous work made it your own (skinning???). Now I dont necassarily agree with this whole process when it comes to canvas and oil but none the less it exists and none the less, it is a very real part of the skinning community and a necassary evil so it seems. Is it ok to use other peoples work as a template? I have seen great skinners such as Webbird do this and it seems acceptable to release such skins.

So I thought I would ask the community "Whats right? And, Whats Wrong?"

Example: What if I re-skin one of ATGS Spartans? (Who never responds to my PM's) but I have used his model as the basis template of my skin?

What is the TRUE, HONORABLE and ACCEPTABLE code of conduct for release of a skin into the community or a mod? What is the un-sung code?

Maraxus's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: SKINNING - CODE OF CONDUCT

i try not to sample other peoples works. I do sample anything CA made guilt free but I get a bad feeling reusing other user made stuff. Im a history major in college so I'm fully aware of plagiarism. If i cant get permission I try to cite others' works. Redfox asked to recolor one of ATG's generals for his XGM mod he is doing so I did but i tried to leave ATG's signature and reference that It was changed but based on ATG's works.

I personally would never release anything that was made with other user made content without permission, or without making it very clear that it's based on someone else's work on the TGA file itself. Most of the stuff i do for my own simple modding is recombining anything CA released to make fresh but Vanilla looking stuff.

I try not to sample random pictures off the internet, I try to make anything I claim to be mine either made from scratch or based on CA stuff. I guess thats just what my professors have convinced me to believe.

"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." -Alexander the Great.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

most of the mods have specific requirements if somebody wants to use their work. EB for instance don't allow to change their models and skins, so you have to ask each autor for this.

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

Perseox69's Avatar Foederatus

I think is you use Peoples models for your own is ok, but is you want to
    release you shut need a permission of the autor.
    ask autor for is permission, and I will like to see some of you work post
    in this site :p
    good luck.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Releasing someone else's work (albeit modified) without permission ultimately is an offense towards the creator.
    It's strictly a politeness towards the creator, so if you don't get permission (no answer to PM etc.) try to cite whose work you used for the creation.

Trust me, this will prevent problems from occurring, because as an artist myself, I can get really angry if my work gets published without permission or any reference.

That's basically all there is to it, if you want to create textures for XGM, we'd be more than happy to welcome you aboard.
    The work created should be 256x256 or 512x512 and relatively sharp and properly finished, not a blurry mix of somewhat ugly textures thrown together like some do.

If you accomplish that, the people will definitely love your work (although this is debatable - an untrained eye usually "wows" at even a chamfered box...),

Thanks for the input Guys. My instincts were correct. Thanks for that last post RedFox. Everybody - thats the type of input I was hoping to recieve. Always do whats right and respectful towards anothers work. I just wanted know because I am constrained to having to use the models available and plates as templates of how the skin will wrap. If doing that and releasing it into the public is considered un-ethical, I didnt want to do it - although I had seen it done - I didnt want to assume anything to retain the respect of my peers. Rest assured I agree that even if something such as a shield facing is cut and pasted one needs to give credit where credit is due. I find it is even honorable to give credit to something even if it is the cause for inspiration. Thanks Again

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

We are glad that you got your answers. Now please show us some of your works

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

I am at work right now - momentarily not working - hey smokers get smoke breaks I take TW breaks. I will post some of them later tonight if I can figure it out - any help with how to do that? Never have done it before.

http://www.imageshack.us
    Is a decent site to quickly upload your images and then directly link them here. (use JPG)

Thanks RedFox will do

I believe what Redfox says, I think if your sent your work to ATGS Spartans, I will change is point of view and give your permission.
    you never surrender.

I believe what Redfox says, I think if your sent your work to ATGS Spartans, I will change is point of view and give your permission.
    you never surrender.
    Did you mean something like this?
    I think the same as RedFox - if you link your work to ATG, he will change his point of view and give you permission.

Other than that, your post made absolutely no sense.

Yes Sorry Redfox my english writer is terrible, Im realy good english spoken
    I been 7 years with with Irish woman, and you are right. ;P

and american english it confuses to me ;p

Locky's Avatar Centenarius

ATG is a busy man. A few years ago someone tried to modify some of his work and realese it as thier own. And people wonder why it makes creators of said models and skin angry. It's perfectably accetable to use thier work with thier permission, or if all else fails make sure you give them full credit for the original skin/model.

So when you blatantly use someone elses work and claim it for your own, prepared to be slaughtered.

Cymera's Avatar Roma Invictus

If an artist wishes their work to be used and released by others, then they will specify this in the release of their work. Most artists will want their names cited, or will not allow others to use their work without direct permission. However, there are others that will release packs for the community to use.

Under the Patronage of the Wise Kara Kolyo in the Hallowed House of Wilpuri
    Proud Patron of the Charming
    Balikedes, an Insightful and Tactful Warrior.

Extended Greek Mod (XGM) Lover ..... A mod by DimeBagHo

"
    The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by
    experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct
    "

- Marcus Tullius Cicero