Thread: The House of Noble Discourse

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Default The House of Noble Discourse

Welcome everyone to the House of Noble Discourse! The Curia has voted and ratified the establishment of our humble gathering. To business!

First of all, I'd like to invite anyone interested to signal their desire to join the House and follow the rules that were suggested. As per the initial proposal, the idea is for us to adhere to a self-policing higher code of conduct when it comes to debate. This may naturally mean keeping our cool in the face of terrible debating but I think doing so will only serve everyone well in the long run.

The Code
    Respect. Debate in good faith and be respectful to all members. Avoid using language that is deceptive, inflammatory or disruptive. Do not be rude, hostile, or overly sarcastic. Display your wit, but don't be a tit.

Logic. Argue rationally and as objectively as possible. Avoid using logical fallacies or overly-emotional language.

Substance. Contribute to the discussion and include worthwhile material to debate.

Evidence. Support your assertions of truth or fact with evidence. Link your sources - videos and images alone are foolish. Unless accompanied by other sources, refrain from using tabloids, blogs, social media comments and conspiracy-theory sites.
    Once there are enough of us, we can figure out how to improve the general level of debate, as well as to encourage folk to join the House and adhere to the higher standard. Some initial ideas I had include creating signatures for members, 'Katsumoto of the House of Noble Discourse', or with some sort of quote, as well as House rewards for good debating.

I am also perfectly happy to alter the name of our society/group as well as the code of conduct if there is consensus, I'm not precious about either.

Otherwise, feel free to use this thread to discuss matters relating to the House, topics of debate or just to shoot the breeze. As I understand it, anyone is also welcome to open a thread in the Symposium just as if it were the D&D if they wish to debate a topic.

Thanks all!

Members:

Seether
    Aexodus
    Sukiyama
    Elfdude
    Alwyn
    Pikestance
    Katsumoto
    Iskar
    Abdülmecid I
    Last edited by Katsumoto; December 20, 2018 at 10:08 AM.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)