2 3.85%
  • EF2000 Eurofighter Typhoon

10 19.23%
  • Other - Please tell which.

1 1.92%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Military Thread

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Default Re: Military Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lee1026
    But they are not expected to go on strikes hundreds of miles behind enemy lines, no? And smallpox have not been sighted for 30 years. And you can appply smallpox vaccine within 3 days of actually contacting the disease.
    Well they could be on the front, and it could be impossible to safely disengage in time.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Hub'ite
    The military doesn't want to take any chances. With thousands of recruits in a small area an outbreak would be disasterous. I'm not sure but I think you also have to get an anthrax shot in bootcamp.
    What we got in bootcamp were the various booster shots like you get when youre a kid (unless you had current records, then you got to skip some of the shots). I think there were also shots for yellow fever, and there was a thing where they poke your forearm checking for tuberculosis. I dont know what they do if they find out you have it, other than they remove you from the division (one of the people in mine had it or some such thing, and he went away rather quickly).

I dont think I ever got one for anthrax, but I could be wrong. I know people who were deploying to certain places got that one, but I dont recall anything about it in bootcamp. I didnt get the small pox vaccination until my deployment, about two years into my enlistment. That one I remember, because there was a briefing about it, etc. I believe there was something for malaria...erm...maybe...Id really have to check out my medical record to be sure about most of this, but...even though my copy of it is about two feet from where Im presently sitting, Im not really in a good enough mood to thumb through that trying to read doctor/PA/corpsman scribble. :wink:

Oh...there are also annual HIV tests done, which involve blood being drawn.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

So you are willing to risk solider's lives to fight ore effectively given all of the following unlikely events take place at the same time:
    1. Someone getting their hands on a extinct disease.
    2. That someone chose to use it.
    3. The soliders are so far out of the American supply line that you can't rush in medical equipment.
    4. the front is so intense that you can't just quaratine the sick soliders.

So you are willing to risk solider's lives to fight ore effectively given all of the following unlikely events take place at the same time:
    1. Someone getting their hands on a extinct disease.
    2. That someone chose to use it.
    3. The soliders are so far out of the American supply line that you can't rush in medical equipment.
    4. the front is so intense that you can't just quaratine the sick soliders.
    Otherwise known as a perfectly reasonable situation in a military situation. Example: Company X is deployed to hold City Y when they are surrounded by enemy forces as the enemy makes a suprise attack during bad weather. The enemy deploys smallpox bought from Russian traitors and deploys it against Company X. Now Company X is surrounded, an already bad situation, and now only have 3 days to effect a breakout or be destroyed.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

So already, you are making the following assumpations: The unit would be deployed to a actual war instead of the police actions that we have grown used to, the enemy have managed to inflitrate into one of THE most secure russian installations. (If they can steal that, then they can pretty much steal the entire Russian arsenal), they are willing to use such a valuable asset in such a pointless manner - they can only wipe out a company, even in the best case stituation, whereas they are paralysis America if they deploy it against New York, and there is no way to use Chinooks to get supplies in to the company (In which case they are doomed in three days anyway).
    Does it sounds likely that all of those things will take place AT THE SAME TIME?

So already, you are making the following assumpations: The unit would be deployed to a actual war instead of the police actions that we have grown used to, the enemy have managed to inflitrate into one of THE most secure russian installations. (If they can steal that, then they can pretty much steal the entire Russian arsenal), they are willing to use such a valuable asset in such a pointless manner - they can only wipe out a company, even in the best case stituation, whereas they are paralysis America if they deploy it against New York, and there is no way to use Chinooks to get supplies in to the company (In which case they are doomed in three days anyway).
    Does it sounds likely that all of those things will take place AT THE SAME TIME?
    Ever hear of Bastogne? And did you ever hear of the Rosenbergs?

Would you like to inform me of the Chinooks that the army had for Bastogne? Or how the Rosenbergs managed to steal one of the most heavily guarded phyically object in the world?

Would you like to inform me of the Chinooks that the army had for Bastogne? Or how the Rosenbergs managed to steal one of the most heavily guarded phyically object in the world?
    Fly Chinooks passed enemy forces armed with Anti-Air weapons, would be insane and remember bad weather. The Rosenbergs were traitors, all someone needs is enough money and they could get it.

In other words, your situation is completely unlikely. All of the following would have to come true:
    1. A super spy so good that the world have never seen of his equal steals it and gives it to a enemy.
    2. That enemy manages to pin down a sizable unit of the US army and prevent all help from arriving (would you like to inform me of who is capable of doing that?)
    3. Said enemy manages that in poor weather.
    4. Said poor weather and encirclement goes on for three days.
    5. The enemy wasting a super valuable asset on a encircled unit.
    6. the unit would not be destroyed in three days anyway (Bastroge was a divisional sized unit, and you can use paradrops for those)

In other words, your situation is completely unlikely. All of the following would have to come true:
    1. A super spy so good that the world have never seen of his equal steals it and gives it to a enemy.
    2. That enemy manages to pin down a sizable unit of the US army and prevent all help from arriving (would you like to inform me of who is capable of doing that?)
    3. Said enemy manages that in poor weather.
    4. Said poor weather and encirclement goes on for three days.
    5. The enemy wasting a super valuable asset on a encircled unit.
    6. the unit would not be destroyed in three days anyway (Bastroge was a divisional sized unit, and you can use paradrops for those)
    I said traitor no super spy, all someone would have to do is find a way to pocket a sample of it to sell to the highest bidder. And poor weather is not too hard to move it...

Don't forget, the military tries to prepare for all situations.

The best of the best spies can barely manage to steal information. Stealing information is much harder.
    Also, the poor weather is not unlikely, but it is sort of a extra staple in the coffin (not as strong as the nail, but it helps)
    Also, I don't see the military preparing for the day that the laws of physics change......

Hub'ite's Avatar Primicerius

Well the AF tried to screw me over. I took the EDP test(Electronic Data Processing), which was Godly hard, and passed. So I want to put Computer Programming on my contract so I'll be guaranteed my job. Then my recruiter tells me that he can't guarantee my that job. He told me that I had to put more than one job on my contract and they'll pick what job I get. I called my dad(a Commander in the Navy) and told him what they were trying to do. The AF wouldn't guarantee me the job so I told them to rip up my contract. He told me yesterday that that was ok but today hes telling me that I can't do that anymore. Hes a brand new recruiter and he doesn't want his first recruit to drop out so now hes trying to make he hold to my contract. On which it says nothing so they can put me wherever they want. My dad called his JAG lawyer and trying to get this all figured out. I can't believe they are trying to screw me over at this point. I've already gone through MEPS, sworn in, and in the DEP program. I'm going up to the Navy recruiter today and get the damn job I want. For any of y'all looking into the military be careful, they'll screw you over in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hub'ite
    For any of y'all looking into the military be careful, they'll screw you over in a heartbeat.
    Well that's not news. Often time recruiters are the least helpful people when it comes to getting the job you want.

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax
    Well that's not news. Often time recruiters are the least helpful people when it comes to getting the job you want.
    especially when recruits are hard to come by
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

voted the eurofighter on the poll thing (why is it here btw?), f-22 is the best, but is waaaay too expensive/overpriced to be worth it on a large scale, its like..'overpowered' LoL.

erofighter is a lot cheaper aka more affordable - better value for money.

and im european..so...bias

I swore in today, so I am currently property of Uncle Sam and Prince Andrew (hard to come up with a name from PA so I made it up). I am currently going for 11 bravo, military slang for Infantry and I start training on the 26th. I got swore in today and am currently a Private in the Pennsylvania National Guard.

Hub'ite's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone Soldier
    I swore in today, so I am currently property of Uncle Sam and Prince Andrew (hard to come up with a name from PA so I made it up). I am currently going for 11 bravo, military slang for Infantry and I start training on the 26th. I got swore in today and am currently a Private in the Pennsylvania National Guard.
    Congratulations Farnan. Well I'm still sticking with the AF. The Senior Master Sergeant called me today apologizing how the recruiter screwed things up. He told me to go to MEPS Monday and pick the job I want on my contract. So I'm still in the AF.

Information in the following link is a bit outdated. It says that we have 5 million reservists, we cut it down to around 3.4 million reservists.

http://www.g2mil.com/korea.htm

The Korean conflict is over, but Cold War warriors refuse to accept this reality because they need a “threat.” In 1994, the Military-Industrialist worked the media and politicians into a war hysteria which almost caused President Clinton to order air strikes in North Korea. In his book “Hazardous Duty,” retired Colonel David Hackworth describes his trip to Korea in which he uncovered this phony threat. Fortunately, former President Jimmy Carter heard the war drums and flew to North Korea as a private citizen and ended the phantom crisis.

When Pentagon officials talk about the need to maintain a “two-war” capability, they often refer to Korea. This is absurd since South Korea can crush North Korea without American help. North Korea’s million-man army may look impressive on paper, but remember that Iraq had a million-man army, which also had modern equipment, combat experience, and plenty of fuel.

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=35862&archive=true

SEOUL ?South Korea will shrink its military by 26.5 percent by 2020, from 680,000 troops to 500,000, according to the Korean Ministry of Defense.

The downsizing will be supplemented with high-tech weapons systems concentrated mainly in South Korea navy and air force, according to the ministry.

South Korea ground forces will shrink from 548,000 to 370,000, a 32.5 percent drop. North Korea ground troops are estimated at more than 1 million. South Korea remains confident that its military capabilities will continue to deter any attacks from the North, the ministry stated.

Say I was a criminal in jail... could I join the US army instead of going to jail?

And congrats Farnan!
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

I think you can. My professor told me that there was a guy who was serving his time in the navy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast