Thread: Kent, Surrey and Sussex

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Default Kent, Surrey and Sussex

Hi there.

I am interesting in information about these three areas of England.
    -Have anyone been there?
    -Impressions or opinions about these places?
    -How about the people?
    -How is the life there in general?

Thanks.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Kent, Surrey and Sussex

Are you coming for a visit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas The Lion View Post
    Are you coming for a visit?
    Not exactly,there is possibility a close to me person to work there.
    Last edited by neoptolemos; September 29, 2011 at 03:58 AM.
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Hmm, i thought that since the area is close to London , there would have been some information available...
    Luís de Camões

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    Hmm, i thought that since the area is close to London , there would have been some information available...
    Yes, I would have thought so too. It might take a few days or even a week for somebody to notice this thread and answer your questions though I'm hoping to start a few threads that will make your question unnecessary because the needed information is stickied already

Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    Yes, I would have thought so too. It might take a few days or even a week for somebody to notice this thread and answer your questions though I'm hoping to start a few threads that will make your question unnecessary because the needed information is stickied already
    Well if you had been there, i would have been glad to be informed by your perspective.It has been tested and it is approved.
    I shall wait then.
    Luís de Camões

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Hm... well they are not hugely interesting places. Exceptions are Canterbury, with Britain's largest Medieval Cathedral, and the coast's cliffs and battlefields but otherwise it's just pretty dull scenery with the odd coastal resort and lots of upper middle class people. It's an OK place to live but I wouldn't visit when there are so many more interesting places like East Anglia, London and Hampshire nearby.
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; September 30, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    Hm... well they are not hugely interesting places. Exception is Canterbury, with Britain's largest Medieval Cathedral, but otherwise it's just flat scenery with the odd coastal resort and lots of upper middle class people. It's an OK place to live but I wouldn't visit when there are so many more interesting places like East Anglia, London and Hampshire nearby.
    Well, the interesting places are indeed few, but do you think it is a good place to live or how is it to leave there compared to other places in England?
    Thanks
    Luís de Camões

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    Well, the interesting places are indeed few, but do you think it is a good place to live or how is it to live there compared to other places in England?
    Thanks
    Well the South of England in general is relatively sunny and expensive, medium crime levels, good opportunities and pretty multicultural. South of London is perhaps slightly safer and more rural than North of it but it's really no different otherwise to the rest of the south of England. Obviously places like the far north and Cornwall are more rural and easygoing, the midlands and north in general are poorer but less expensive, and the West country is isolated but pretty friendly. Towns and villages are generally hotbeds of antisocial behaviour as with all of Britain.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Cost of living would be higher in those areas since they are in the south I assume and there are probably more super rich people living in the area compared to elsewhere. The only other things i know about the area are that it tends to be one of the warmest parts of the country when we do have warm weather and that they fail at handling small amounts of snow in the winter. I expect they would be nice places to live and of course they will probably have areas which are crappy like everywhere else, but most of the people should be friendly enough and you will be right next to the sea, so in the 10 days of sushine we have per year you could go straight down to the beach . Also Dover castle is in that kind of area, which would be good to look at if you are interested in history - i seem to be remember it being one of the oldest fortified areas in europe and I know it has Roman, Norman, later Medieval and Napoleonic buildings in there and apparently according to wiki has a lot of ww2 tunnels underneath it as well.

Also the problem with people not knowing the area is that if anyone is heading down that way from further North like i would be, they would most likely just be visiting London rather than going all the way through it to get to the south coast.

Shneckie's Avatar Vicarius

Towns and villages, contrary to popular belief, are indeed infested with anti-social cretins. Probably not more so than cities on a proportional level, it's more a stand out kind of thing. For me, England has two types of towns: the nice picturesque market towns and then the young industrial towns which are living graveyards. You would want to try and find yourself in the former because your experience of England can greatly vary between the two.

A very nice town which I had the pleasure of visiting once was Nantwich in Cheshire. Very friendly people and it's got a very romantic "olde towne" feel to it and lots of history behind the town too. You will find lots of towns like that dotted all over the country. However there was a neighbouring town called Crewe which projected an extreme contrast. Lot's of grey buildings and old WW2 manufacturing plants with swarms of council housing. Anti-social behaviour seemed to be more abundant. So it's those kind of areas you may want to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Shneckie View Post
    Towns and villages, contrary to popular belief, are indeed infested with anti-social cretins. Probably not more so than cities on a proportional level, it's more a stand out kind of thing. For me, England has two types of towns: the nice picturesque market towns and then the young industrial towns which are living graveyards. You would want to try and find yourself in the former because your experience of England can greatly vary between the two.

A very nice town which I had the pleasure of visiting once was Nantwich in Cheshire. Very friendly people and it's got a very romantic "olde towne" feel to it and lots of history behind the town too. You will find lots of towns like that dotted all over the country. However there was a neighbouring town called Crewe which projected an extreme contrast. Lot's of grey buildings and old WW2 manufacturing plants with swarms of council housing. Anti-social behaviour seemed to be more abundant. So it's those kind of areas you may want to avoid.
    Thank you very much for your opinion, +rep
    Luís de Camões

EnsignElliott's Avatar Libertus

Personally I think the counties South of London, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire, etc... have some of the most unfriendly people in the whole of Britain. Add to that the fairly boring countryside and very expensive prices for consumables. Ok, there are some nice, quaint little villages around, some nice coastline and a few good battlesites but I never think the countryside has the "wow factor" that the North has. The North is so much more dramatic and rugged, and has a reputation for being friendlier than the South. I'd far sooner visit Sheffield or Lancaster than anywhere South of London (with the exception of the West Country).

Pielstick's Avatar Domesticus

Hm... well they are not hugely interesting places. Exceptions are Canterbury, with Britain's largest Medieval Cathedral, and the coast's cliffs and battlefields but otherwise it's just pretty dull scenery with the odd coastal resort and lots of upper middle class people. It's an OK place to live but I wouldn't visit when there are so many more interesting places like East Anglia, London and Hampshire nearby.
    LOL. I don't think you've spent much time in Kent mate

I've lived in Kent for 20 years (Herne Bay 1992-2010 and Maidstone 2010-present), and having travelled around the rest of the UK I'd say Kent is one of the nicest regions, packed with history and plenty of interesting places to visit. Just like everywhere else there are places to go and places to avoid.

There seems to be a commonly held misconception in the North of the UK that down here in the South East we are all very middle class and the streets are paved with gold. I spent 3 years living in Tyneside not so long ago and I can tell you there are places down in Kent such as Chatham and Margate that make Jarrow and Gateshead look like Bel Air.
    Last edited by Pielstick; January 18, 2012 at 04:32 AM.