Thread: Problems with Bactrian campaign

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Default Problems with Bactrian campaign

Hi,

I am playing Bactrian kingdom in Diadochi v. 1.20 and there are two observations that I have recently made and that are really bothering me.

1) Even though I constructed given buildings in a settlement I am still unable to train most of the high-quality units. For instance in the city of Apamea (minor city) taken from the Seleucids, I set up very large western colony and army barracks, but still the only units it provides are Peltasts, Archers and Bactrian Cavalty Skirmishers. To compare in the city of Bactra exactly the same setting allows me to recruit in addition Thureophoroi, Thorokitai, Deutroi and Bactrian Heavy Cavalry. To mention the dominant culture of both settlements is western civilized and in the city of Apamea the cultural breakdown for western civilized amounts to 98%. Any ideas what is the reason for that and how to fix it? As far as I have seen the better units in my empire can be recruited merely in the starting two provinces no matter what the culture and buildings I have chosen and constructed.

2) My diplomat is unable to offer an alliance to the people of Scythia. To note I am not in war with any of Scythia's allies and vice versa, and apparently there is nothing to prevent me from establishing an alliance with them. Any ideas why?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Default Re: Problems with Bactrian campaign

1) Some regions are unable to train certain level base culture units - meaning you can't train high level greek units everywhere on the map. This feature depends on the colony in the settlement. If it's not native, you are restricted.

2) Might be because you are at war with a dead faction and Scythia is allied to that faction. A rather sad state indeed.

The Peace with the Dead script should fix the second issue.

The Peace with the Dead script should fix the second issue.
    Do you know, by any chance, where to find it or how to fix it yourself? I tried to look for any info but the only thing I found is that in the Roma Surrectum this script is applied and no more.

1) Some regions are unable to train certain level base culture units - meaning you can't train high level greek units everywhere on the map. This feature depends on the colony in the settlement. If it's not native, you are restricted.
    I get it, yet in this case it seems there is sth worng with it. Let's take the city of Apamea as an example. Right before my conquest the Seleucids were able to recruit in the City Barracks with the Large Western Colony the following units:

- Light skirmishers
    - Pantodopai
    - Deutroi
    - Archers
    - Slingers

Right after the conquest my recruitment options look as follows

- Peltasts
    - Pantodopai
    - Archers
    - Slingers
    - Bactrian Cavalry Skirmishers

so Deutroi are already missing and, apart from this, no matter what city it is and what's its dominant culture the barracks recruitment paradigm in the building browser is as follows:

1. Militia Barracks
    - Pantodopai
    - Slingers

2. City barracks
    - Pantodopai
    - Slingers
    - Peltasts
    - Archers

3. Army barracks
    - Peltasts
    - Archers

4. Royal barracks
    - Peltasts
    - Archers

The only exception is two starting cities (Bactra, Cophen) where I can recruit more advanced units like Deutroi, Thorokitai, etc., even though their native settlements are eastern. Furthermore, the upgrade of western colonies has no impact at all on the barracks recruitment range and it looks exactly like the one above for the small and the very large western colony alike. I guess it must be sth wrong with it. Any ideas?

The Peace with the Dead script is already in DTW, about how to use it take a look here.

As for Bactrian barracks problems, I gave a quick look at it and there is something weird indeed. I don't know if it's intentional or something we left behind and forgot to finish. My time is quite limited lately but I'll try to post a quickfix. The problem is that the file to be fixed it EDB.txt, and that file gets modified according to installation options.
    Last edited by Spartan 666; February 09, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

The Peace with the Dead script is already in DTW, about how to use it take a look here.
    Thanks a lot! It was an issue and now works perfectly.

As for Bactrian barracks problems, I gave a quick look at it and there is something weird indeed. I don't know if it's intentional or something we left behind and forgot to finish. My time is quite limited lately but I'll try to post a quickfix. The problem is that the file to be fixed it EDB.txt, and that file gets modified according to installation options.
    That would be great if you could, however, if this implies to start my campaign over again, then don't really bother. It was a tough nut to crack to play with Bactrians at the beginning of my campaign and it would be awsome to continue once I got better off, but getting thru all those hardships all along is not an appealing idea. And besides they are many interesting factions to play with. Anyway, thank you!

dude, just train mass bactrian cavalry from auxilary city barracs instead your own heavy cavalry. Those mercs cheaper and much powerful than your cavalry!

Quote Originally Posted by unDa View Post
    dude, just train mass bactrian cavalry from auxilary city barracs instead your own heavy cavalry. Those mercs cheaper and much powerful than your cavalry!
    well, the cavalry is not a problem and the worst thing is in fact to be unable to recruit greek-based heavy infantry