Thread: Dundee.Scotland

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Default Dundee.Scotland

Hi all!
    I am going to be for a while there so i would like to ask if anyone has information by his own experience for the city.
    About living there?
    Shopping?
    nightlife?
    Leisure?
    Accessibility?

Thanks in advance!
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Default Re: Dundee.Scotland

I've got friends who live there. It's a pretty small city, Scotland's 4th largest, and it's one of the least visited places in Scotland by tourists. It's connected by train to Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh, also intercity buses. It's not scintillating in terms of shopping and culture, it's got everything a resident there would need though and obviously it has two universities, so the nightlife isn't bad from what I hear, though hardly comparable to Glasgow or Edinburgh in terms of variety. Leisure activities tbh are pretty sparse, though it depends what you are into I suppose. It is not a bad city, thriving technology and services industry, though tbh not very diverse and remarkably lacking in historical sites and not the most attractive place (though St Andrews and Perth are both pretty close).
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

Thanks Copper, really good sum up
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Father Jack's Avatar expletive intended

I will be in Dundee on Tuesday and it is my 1st choice for post-grad study (Dundee uni, not Abertay uni). From what I remember it isn't a remarkable city, but there is a historic ship in the harbour, the firth of Tay is pretty impressive and you can get a nice view across Fife from the top of a hill in the city. It has decent transport links so interesting places (St. Andrews, Edinburgh etc.) are not too far away. It is also pretty close to Perthshire, which has some stunning scenery ranging from forests to Rannoch Moor

Citizen

Well tbh everywhere in Scotland is close to amazing scenery, we're a small country mostly made up of hills. But the above is all true nonetheless.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

I live in Dundee and to be honest you are probably visiting too soon , were having a massive waterfront scheme and museum being built for future tourism, i have been on night outs in Edinburgh before but still feel Dundee is better. The discovery is really the only "attraction" but st. Andrews and Broughty ferry are nearby and good places to visit.

Atatürk's Avatar Türküm. Doğruyum...

It's what you'd expect of a Scottish city. The novelty, if it ever spawns into existence, will wear off after a few months.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Atatürk View Post
    It's what you'd expect of a Scottish city.
    Heh, you'd have to have pretty low expectations of Scottish cities for that to be true. It is by far the worst city centre in Scotland, even Inverness is at least more attractive and touristy.

Don't let Dundee and Aberdeen put you off Ataturk, Glasgow and Edinburgh are two of the best cities in Europe, to visit and to live in.

Atatürk's Avatar Türküm. Doğruyum...

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    Don't let Dundee and Aberdeen put you off Ataturk, Glasgow and Edinburgh are two of the best cities in Europe, to visit and to live in.
    I wasn't overjoyed by Edinburgh, but Glasgow gave me the impression that it was the best city in the United Kingdom, outside of London. The near constant rain and mild climate would be somewhat of a nuisance however, but there's no escaping that within our 'subpolar' island, tormented by the North Atlantic Current.

I may not hold Aberdeen in the highest regard, but I think I'd prefer it to Edinburgh. 'Madness!', you may yelp, but the relative isolation of Aberdeen plays a part in keeping the tourists at bay. Edinburgh's just too 'lardy-dar' to be real Scottish. When I step outside of my flat in Aberdeen I feel the chill of the north pierce through my body, and I hear a voice in the wind, and it says 'Caw canny, yer in Scotland ye eejit!'

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Atatürk View Post
    I wasn't overjoyed by Edinburgh, but Glasgow gave me the impression that it was the best city in the United Kingdom, outside of London. The near constant rain and mild climate would be somewhat of a nuisance however, but there's no escaping that within our 'subpolar' island, tormented by the North Atlantic Current.

I may not hold Aberdeen in the highest regard, but I think I'd prefer it to Edinburgh. 'Madness!', you may yelp, but the relative isolation of Aberdeen plays a part in keeping the tourists at bay. Edinburgh's just too 'lardy-dar' to be real Scottish. When I step outside of my flat in Aberdeen I feel the chill of the north pierce through my body, and I hear a voice in the wind, and it says 'Caw canny, yer in Scotland ye eejit!'
    Tbh nowhere in the world has a good climate that's remotely liveable. Australia is beset by dangerous animals, New Zealand's dullness is even more lethal than a black widow, the Bible Belt is near Third World, and California is like a giant version of Milan, except without the charm of Italy. Maybe Italy itself would be OK, except that they don't drink tea there.