Thread: What's Wrong with SPQR?

Civis

Default What's Wrong with SPQR?

First off I do think this is one of the best mods and I have put more than 100 hours of time into it. I play on H/VH and in my last game I destroyed Carthage and the Gauls. What I don't understand is why the other factions don't attack me. The have huge armies around their cities but unless I attack them first they will not attack me. Also I have never seen them fight against each other which makes for a boring game. The other thing that bothers me is the loyalty issue. Just about every general becomes corrupted and I have to remove them from the city to prevent a revolt. I really think this should be toned down as it makes the game very annoying to play where it should be fun. Please give any feedback or solutions if you know of any.

Default Re: What's Wrong with SPQR?

I suggest you look through these forums abit, these "issues" have been discussed in countless threads already. A simple search in the forums tools will find you all the answers. But I assure you, there's a reason behind this.

Also, if you're playing on H/VH you've goofed with the game's design in some very fundamental ways. It's supposed to be played on M/M so that the mod's tweaking and tuning shine the brightest.

Civis

This is like the matrix reloaded. So what is the reason behind it? Why must I play on M/M when it is to easy? Can anyone give me a strait answer or is it because you don't know?

The game is made this way deliberately. I haven't played SPQR for ages, but I have played many campaigns from the first version with no experienced mercs and a Greek superpower to deal with later as they eventually take over the map, to the emergence of the "super faction fix" in version 6.0 I think (cant rem which) which stops the AI creating a superpower.
    This mod if played properly takes ages to expand around the map, most peeps found by the time they got to Thrace for example it would be overrun by the Greeks, so a fix was made to ensure you get to attack all the different factions by preventing them from going to war in the first place.
    As for playing on m/m, most of the triggers for bad traits and supply for the AI is based on m/m, hence why perhaps you get too many bad general traits when you on h/vh, and because you are NOT supposed to retrain your legions for ages you have to advoid heavy casualties, so playing battles on vh gives the AI too big a bonus.

SPQR becomes very difficult when you play by house rules, learn them and try, then post back if you think its easy, or try a different mod, if you want to play on vh/vh without any house rules try the mod on my sig.
    Last edited by BiggBudd; July 08, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
    RNJ Mod Fan (Shogun 2-Rome BI)

Get it here!http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=519633

Civis

That explains why the AI factions don't attack each other but why except for Carthage, Gaul, and the Greeks won't anybody else attack me???

They are programmed to be active aggressive. As part of the superfaction script, most factions had to be set to passive aggressive. There are more that are active aggressive once you share a border with them...

Civis

Do you know what factions are active aggressive? Also thanks for the answer.

I don't know all.
    But the ones I know are Gaul, Carthage, Germania, Greeks and Britannia.
    There are possibly more further east...

Yeah, basically if you get close to any given faction, expect the same reaction as if you started poking a wasps' nest with a stick.