Thread: Victoria 2 - Tax Efficiency

Default Victoria 2 - Tax Efficiency

Hi there. I'm a new player and for the moment I'm playing Victoria2 without the House Divided expansion.

I'm playing with Argentina and I've conquered two big provinces of Brazil (Paraná and Rio Grande Do Sul), making 50% of my population accepted and 50% not accepted.

The thing is that I've maneged to get 100% Administrative Efficiency in all my original provinces (0% in my conquered ones because I still can't make accepted culture people to move there), reaching an overall Administrative Efficiency of 69% aprox (0.7 of my hole population is a boreaucrat), but my Tax Efficiency is still at the base of 23% and it won't go up !

I still haven't developed Tax Technologies, but i think that accomplishing that Administrative Efficiency myTax Efficiency should be going up too.

Am I wrong? What's going on?

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Victoria 2 - Tax Efficiency

Cores provide an administration efficiency bonus, so if the two states you took don't have any of your cores then you'll have an efficiency penalty on top of the revolt risk.
    Non-TW AAR: Kantai Kessen - Empire of Japan [HOI3 with HPP mod] - last updated April 16, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by TheBromgrev View Post
    Cores provide an administration efficiency bonus, so if the two states you took don't have any of your cores then you'll have an efficiency penalty on top of the revolt risk.
    So how can I get the core? I think that's very difficult to achieve, what's the benefit of conquering if you won't collect taxes right any more?

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

You get cores via a random event that fires between 40-50 YEARS after you conquer the state. In the game, there are two benefits to conquering states. The first is that you gain access to whatever resources were being produced. Even if you end up with less of said resource after conquering the state due to non-core penalties, being able to produce a small amount of said resource is better than not having domestic access to it at all. The Victorian Era was dominated by the following mindset: "I want xxx, but can't produce it and the people that make xxx won't sell it to me at a price I like; So, I'll use violence to conquer the people that make xxx so I can have it for free".

The second benefit is that your core population has a new place to live, so when they move locations they stay within your country. Some nations are grossly overpopulated, and benefit greatly from having a colony their pops can emigrate to. The nations that by-far benefit the most from conquering new colonies are Germany, Italy, Japan, China, and the US. Other nations benefit from colony-driven internal emigration as well, but the ones I named are very over-populated and benefit from having extra territory their people can live in.
    Non-TW AAR: Kantai Kessen - Empire of Japan [HOI3 with HPP mod] - last updated April 16, 2013

Thanks a lot.