Thread: A spontaneus trip to Amsterdam - need your help! :)

intel's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default A spontaneus trip to Amsterdam - need your help! :)

Following golden rule of "act first, think later", I just bought a last minute trip to Amsterdam (30.01-05.02), to visit my best friend But well, there is one particular problem that might ruin all the fun, namely: accomodation! Well, I tried my best to find it, but I thought that fellow TWCers, being generally fine (and likeminded) chaps could help me in this regard. This is a plea for You, fellow Dutch TWCer A plea for a place to sleep for at least some of these 6 nights
    Keep in mind that being a moderately rich student from a country that is like, almost exactly 2 times poorer than yours, I can not really spend much beyond covering the neccesary costs

So if you are logged at couchsurfing.org or you are not and you'd like to help me anyway, let me know. I think we'd get along together just fine

Here's a short summary on who I am:

Languages: English (advanced), German (don't ask ), Polish
    Games: Total War maniac! That's one of the few PvP games I don't get butt-kicked at (others being CoD and Halo), still I enjoy any competition I like all games in general, with exception of sports games (oh I did try them, and after getting dominated by my 7 yo cousin I disavowed them forever). I always carry my ASUS laptop with me. As for gaming platforms, I used to have PSone, Xbox and now I have X360.

Oh. And I do enjoy a good session of Heroes 3. Even though I always loose
    Hobby: Books, history and military. Travel. And politics, occasionaly. Most of all, I like spending time with friends, with or without alcohol, but always- with good music.
    Personality: Well, I may not be the most talkative person in the world. But I am good at listening. I have some nice stories and I am positive towards people of all sorts. I am patient as ****, one must try really hard to irritate me. Unless he voices his opinions on the internet, now thats a different story
    Countries I've visisted:
    Austria, Italy, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, France, Hungary, Romania, Ukraine, Spain, Monaco, Luxembourg, Germany, Croatia, Serbia, Turkey, Greece, Macedonia, Bulgaria
    Alcohol: Yes
    Last edited by intel; January 25, 2013 at 01:17 PM.

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: A spontaneus trip to Amsterdam - need your help! :)

I can't help you, I live in the other side of the country and I live with my parent who wouldn't like me inviting strange foreigners into our house. Besides they are a bit racist towards Eastern-Europeans.
    I do know a few Poles around here but I don't think they can help you.

Your best bet would be a cheap hotel or something. Can't you stay with your friend by the way?
    Miss me yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Treize View Post
    Your best bet would be a cheap hotel or something. Can't you stay with your friend by the way?
    Thanks for showing interest My friend is in a little better stuation.. But not by much. He will live at his cousin's flat, but it ain;t certain if there will be space for one additional person Beter safe than sorry - I wouldn't like to spend my only vacation this year in Amsterdam's train stations or airports Especialy with this weather... And cheaper hotels are cheap for Western Europeans, but not me Imagine if you had to spend in foreign country 2 or 3 times more than in yours- that will give you an insight of how financially demanding is living in hostels for me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails th_spongebob-squidwardfalls.gif  
    Last edited by intel; June 30, 2013 at 01:36 AM.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Best bet is finding someone in Amsterdam itself, cause public transport would cost way to much for you

Thanks for advice If you have at least some friends at couchsurfing.com (or other that could help) - let me know!

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Sorry mate, i live 3 hours from Amsterdam with too little space... I'd go for a cheap hotel.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

I were you I would focus on sleeping with your friend as we are not known to be a hospitable people, tell him it is that or you sleeping outside like a tramp. Finding a place here on TWC will be futile I think.

As a second option you should search coachsurfing websites or a really cheap hotel (where hookers and their clients will prevent you from sleeping lol!).

And yes public transport is rather expensive.
    Going from my village to Amsterdam by train will set you back €15 for a single fare. And a back and forth ticket will save you nothing these days.
    Miss me yet?

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

I live close to Warsaw than to Amsterdam (I was looking for info about Amsterdam ).

But hostels in the winter tend to be very cheap. I suggest www.hostels.com

For example:
    The international budget hostel cost around 12 € or 40 Zl per night when I am looking at it right now.
    http://www.hostels.com/hostels/amste...rtyAnchor=p619
    Last edited by Adar; January 25, 2013 at 03:44 PM.

I guess you are right... It's just that I much prefer sharing a flat with someone I could call a friend Besides the fact that hostel could potentially consume about 50% of my daily budget

I live about 30 mins from Amsterdam so thats not really handy anyway but my parent's wouldn't like me inviting a stranger, sorry.

There are some cheap motels though, but there are a bit further from amsterdam centre.
    Though if you need help other things, just ask. Perhaps we can help in other ways. (giving the good directions and such )

edit: maybe some links from 'cheap' hostels (don;t know the prices honestly but it will still be be a fair amount of money, staying in amsterdam just is expensive).
    http://www.stayokay.com/nl/hostel/am...FUEMfAodiR4Ang
    http://www.stayokay.com/nl/hostel/amsterdam-zeeburg
    http://www.torenzicht.com/about/
    Last edited by SkyTrickster; January 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM.