Thread: Mirror Crack'd -- New Emperor's Children Story

Primicerius

Default Mirror Crack'd -- New Emperor's Children Story

From the book: The Primarchs. So this story left me bitter and hoping it isn't considered canon...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Fulgrim decides he doesn't like being trapped in the painting, so 'lol i broke out'. Furthermore, he decides the ending for the book "Fulgrim" is and says 'lol i decided to become a willing traitor, Ferrus Manus'.

Seriously? It destroys the grimdarkness of Fulgrim's fate and personally I liked the repentant Fulgrim instead of what we got.
    Why he decided he likes the powers that screwed him over and trapped him in the painting and made him kill his brother is beyond me, especially after he cried like a little girl after Ferrus' death.

Anyone else irked by this story? ... I'm assuming someone else here has at least read it right? ...

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Mirror Crack'd -- New Emperor's Children Story

the story imo doesnt definitively say that fulgrim broke free.

the daemon could well have tricked everyone. Lucius is either deceived or goes along with it.

when he sees his reflection we dont know who is talking to who. When Fulgrim outs himself after interrogation that he was taken by a daemon but broke free, that could merely be the daemon too, knowing that he was a bit screwed if he said anything to the contrary? Hell it could all have been played out by the daemon to stop any kind of salvation for fulgrim forever (by tricking his most steadfastly loyal children)

It is, afterall, chaos' nature to manipulate and deceive..

everyone seems to have just assumed that it was fulgrim that did this and fulgrim that did that without, apparently, asking the questions in the spoiler above.
    Last edited by Carach; November 28, 2012 at 06:37 PM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Finnnnnnnneeeee, so when we would have a whole series of novels focused on World Eaters??
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Finnnnnnnneeeee, so when we would have a whole series of novels focused on World Eaters??
    Probably never! Because the World Eaters are boring!

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Whaaaat?
    The world eaters are amongst the most interesting. The way Angron was found: his tragic kidnapping, the emperor's apathy, the first meeting between him and his legionaries, Angron disobeying the emperor constantly, the burning desire for justice, being a honourable psychopath (at first), the decent into madness is more dramatic and apparent and tragic than any other legion except maybe the thousand sons or the emperor's children.
    The ultramarines, imperial fists and the raven guard are boring.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    the story imo doesnt definitively say that fulgrim broke free.

the daemon could well have tricked everyone. Lucius is either deceived or goes along with it.

when he sees his reflection we dont know who is talking to who. When Fulgrim outs himself after interrogation that he was taken by a daemon but broke free, that could merely be the daemon too, knowing that he was a bit screwed if he said anything to the contrary? Hell it could all have been played out by the daemon to stop any kind of salvation for fulgrim forever (by tricking his most steadfastly loyal children)

It is, afterall, chaos' nature to manipulate and deceive..

everyone seems to have just assumed that it was fulgrim that did this and fulgrim that did that without, apparently, asking the questions in the spoiler above.
    I thought that too, and hoped for it even. But one single line from Fulgrim makes me think it really is Fulgrim in the story: DEAD, DEAd, DEad, Dead...

That felt like some painful memories coming back to him, only Fulgrim could feel that. Anyway, I hope this isn't canon. The book ended perfectly ... well perfectly to me is the heresy never happening and everyone living happily ever after

World Eaters are weak.

http://eatersofworlds.blogspot.com.b...ackground.html

Look at the fanfiction, IMO it's f'ing good.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Butchers nails audio drama and the upcoming Betrayer book by ADB, definitely the best BL author at the moment.

Sounds amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyar Son View Post
    From the book: The Primarchs. So this story left me bitter and hoping it isn't considered canon...

Fulgrim decides he doesn't like being trapped in the painting, so 'lol i broke out'. Furthermore, he decides the ending for the book "Fulgrim" is and says 'lol i decided to become a willing traitor, Ferrus Manus'.

Seriously? It destroys the grimdarkness of Fulgrim's fate and personally I liked the repentant Fulgrim instead of what we got.
    Why he decided he likes the powers that screwed him over and trapped him in the painting and made him kill his brother is beyond me, especially after he cried like a little girl after Ferrus' death.

Anyone else irked by this story? ... I'm assuming someone else here has at least read it right? ...
    I loved it.

About the Emperor's Children

The way they changed Fulgrim's fall from being someone who was willingly seduced by Slaneesh and Horus to someone who falls because of a silly deus ex machina daemon sword really annoyed me, it's one of the worst HH series retcons out there. Likewise the whole 'lol I just escaped' plotline in the Mirror Crack'd ruined the only redeeming feature of the new plotline in Fulgrim (Fulgrim ending up trapped alone). Both are hideous, which is why I hope that the daemon is still in control and has actually just tricked the Emperor's Children, furthermore than Fulgrim's conscious is actually present, being within his body and witness to all the depravity that his body and legion are doing.

It's a shame really because if Fulgrim really is back in control, McNeill ruined two very good stories (Fulgrim and Mirror) with a bad retcon and a stupid swerve. Annoying, ruins good stories.

*cough, as Denny said*

Only problem with this is the stupid clown Angron on the cover. Everything else is perfect, Horus Heresy, ADB and WEs mmm.
    Last edited by Londinium; December 04, 2012 at 05:29 PM.

Angron wears the face paint he had while he fought in the gladiator pits in Desh’ea.
    Art //

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    Angron wears the face paint he had while he fought in the gladiator pits in Desh’ea.
    Still looks goofy, there's better depictions of him out there.

In all recent art of him (Since Collected Visions) he has had the face paint.
    Art //

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

Ugh I cannot wait for this book, it's probably going to be one of the few I actually pre order, I am extremely interested in the fall of the World Eaters into madness and the worship of Khorne, BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

I just hope it doesn't get all cocked up

EDIT: Not that I expect anything bad about it since ADB is writing it of course

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    In all recent art of him (Since Collected Visions) he has had the face paint.

From 'The Primarchs' cover, he's in between Magnus and the Khan. Of course that Angron is 'midget red skull rip off Angron' and possibly even worse than 'clown Angron'. I much prefer my Angron like in Collected Visions and it's got to be said he's by far the most awesome Daemon Primarch:

If you thought mirror's was bad for fulgrims story my advice is avoid angel exterminatus, don't wanna say much more but by god there's a huge ing retcon in it, at least by my knowledge. If your interested in knowing pm me as I don't wanna ruin what happens in it for anyone, plus the book isn't put till jan/feb I think.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Why is Angron a midget now? He should be as big as Magnus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    Magnus is larger than all the Primarchs. He is at least a foot or two taller than the others. Angron is big, but his size comes from his bulk and muscle (You can tell as he wears less armour than the other Primarchs). That and in the picture he is leaning on the railing in front of him.
    Art //

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    What Ulysses said plus it's a horrible drawing of him, even the old sketchy John Blanche version was better.

Gnostiko's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Xaosan View Post
    If you thought mirror's was bad for fulgrims story my advice is avoid angel exterminatus, don't wanna say much more but by god there's a huge ing retcon in it, at least by my knowledge. If your interested in knowing pm me as I don't wanna ruin what happens in it for anyone, plus the book isn't put till jan/feb I think.
    I enjoyed Angel Exterminatus thoroughly....can't think of any retcon though?

OT: I actually enjoyed 'the twist'. IMO, the idea that the 'real' Fulgrim is/has become just as twisted and evil as the daemon makes a curious contrast to his still-present mania over the death of Ferrus Manus.