Thread: Help combining mods

Civis

Default Help combining mods

I've been trying for the last six hours to find and combine some mods that add new units to Carthage. I'm really not having much luck. I can find plenty of other units in the various major mod but have no idea how to pull them out of it and put them in vanilla RTW.

Please help me out here, there must be a simple way to do this. My aim is just to beef up the Carthage selection of units. That's all I want, no major gameplay changes.

Civis

Default Re: Help combining mods

Nobody?

Your gonna have to do what everybody else around here does. Read, read, then read some more. then do it yourself. good luck.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...r-unit-editing

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by the man, the myth, the legend View Post
    Your gonna have to do what everybody else around here does. Read, read, then read some more. then do it yourself. good luck.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...r-unit-editing
    Well, I was looking for something a little more helpful then "RTFM" sort of thing. More along the lines of being pointed to a mod pack for vanilla if such a thing exists. Surely someone has rounded up all the vanilla mods and packaged them up somewhere. I looked through this entire forum and found one unit pack and that's pretty much it. Everything appears to be in bits and pieces with nobody willing to combine them or provide instructions on how to combine them with your game. Like the various skins, they all look nice, but I have no idea how to add them to the game.

I guess I'm pretty much screwed here. Ah, well. Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur Bane View Post
    Well, I was looking for something a little more helpful then "RTFM" sort of thing. More along the lines of being pointed to a mod pack for vanilla if such a thing exists. Surely someone has rounded up all the vanilla mods and packaged them up somewhere. I looked through this entire forum and found one unit pack and that's pretty much it. Everything appears to be in bits and pieces with nobody willing to combine them or provide instructions on how to combine them with your game. Like the various skins, they all look nice, but I have no idea how to add them to the game.

I guess I'm pretty much screwed here. Ah, well. Thanks anyway.
    Whats the problem Excalibur? There should be plenty of mods for you to choose from...
    Interesting Fact?
    Only the emperor or triumphant generals could wear all purple, anybody else doing so would be killed.

Sword, Spear, and Shield Mini Mod Version 2.8

by iLeeT_PeeP

Civis

Plenty? Sure, for everything BUT vanilla. There is nothing here for vanilla Rome at all. And for some retarded reason far beyond my comprehension, all the mods around here think it's the hottest **** since sliced bread to slow down the tactical battles to a slideshow. I honestly have no idea who would think it's more realistic for a guy to swing a sword 300 times before he actually kills someone. Anyway, like I said, it looks like I'm outta luck for mods that just change the skins or maybe add a few more (balanced) units to the different factions.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

So what you're really asking is that there's somebody out there who will mod for you, right ?

You'll probably can do it on your own faster by reading How To Add A New Unit In-Game and trying yourself rather than hoping for someone else to it for you.

Something more detail but on different forum though.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...-for-beginners
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; March 05, 2013 at 09:22 PM.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur Bane View Post
    Plenty? Sure, for everything BUT vanilla. There is nothing here for vanilla Rome at all. And for some retarded reason far beyond my comprehension, all the mods around here think it's the hottest **** since sliced bread to slow down the tactical battles to a slideshow. I honestly have no idea who would think it's more realistic for a guy to swing a sword 300 times before he actually kills someone. Anyway, like I said, it looks like I'm outta luck for mods that just change the skins or maybe add a few more (balanced) units to the different factions.
    LoL...
    Interesting Fact?
    Only the emperor or triumphant generals could wear all purple, anybody else doing so would be killed.

Sword, Spear, and Shield Mini Mod Version 2.8

by iLeeT_PeeP

Civis

No, I'm not asking someone to mod for me. I'm just asking if there is any mods that I might have missed that do enhance vanilla?

I've checked the forums here and found very few. A music mod, an AUM mod and that pretty much is it.

Do you guys know of any other sites with mods?

That's all I'm asking here.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

If it's not found here then it wont be anywhere. From the title you're looking at combining mods and you mention units and also mentioning other mods and this phrase "Everything appears to be in bits and pieces with nobody willing to combine them or provide instructions on how to combine them with your game." sounds like you're basically asking someone to take out units from maybe EB, RTR, RS for example and combined them for you to use in vanilla.

In any case : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Released-Mods

Look for Unit Packs & Stats.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Civis

I've already gone through most of the links on that page, the majority of them just provide skins or modding resources with little or no instruction to install.

I'm just astonished that after all this time, very little has been created for vanilla Rome.

If I had the time and the inclination, I would assemble a pack with updated skins and new units from the various mods, but ah, well.

Rome 2 is coming anyway. So I will not be left waiting for long.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Excalibur,

There may not be any one tutorial describing how to combine mods as a whole (which there will never be, as that is too broad and too expansive of a topic to cover), but there are plenty of tutorials on how to add units, factions, buildings, and how to modify regions, maps, populations, unit stats, etc. You must extrapolate information from many sources to get what you want as well as have the will to learn a few things that are not in tutorials.

I combine mods for Medieval II all the time. I used prior knowledge and the tutorials at hand to understand how to do certain things. Techniques that were not explained in a tutorial on the board I either a) asked somebody far more experienced than I, or b) I used trial-and-error to find out how to do certain things like add animations from one mod to another and how to add projectile effects from one mod to another.

You just have to have patients and the will to do a little learning on your own. With that, you'll be able to accomplish anything you wish.

EDIT:

For the most vanilla-like experience, try looking at:

Extended Greek Mod (XGM)

and

Extended Cultures (XC)
    Last edited by The Holy Pilgrim; March 08, 2013 at 02:41 PM.