Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phalanx dropping spears?

Civitate

Default Re: Phalanx dropping spears?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_loy View Post
    I don't remember seeing that difference in the first Rome without a mod. Maybe I mis-remember.
    The depth of men was up to the player however there was quite a clear difference between the Greek and Macedonian style phalanxes in terms of equipment and spear length.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

DogSoldierSPQR's Avatar Senator

To be fair, the mechanic is there. It sure would be good to drop those spears and essentially help yourself to a few more units of light units.
    I personally invite you to check out my complete combat overhaul which will give you a completely new Rome 2 experience:
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ere!-(26-10-13)
    If you rep me, leave that beautiful name of yours so I know who you are
    That a salesperson at my door? Where my Gladius at??
    An empire always fails because it never sees the potential in the individual. The smaller state never fails because it has no choice but to... - DogSoldierSPQR

LewisVee's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by DogSoldierSPQR View Post
    To be fair, the mechanic is there. It sure would be good to drop those spears and essentially help yourself to a few more units of light units.
    Yip it certainly is. The mechanic would work great I think

Quote Originally Posted by D E C View Post
    I don't think this is practical. If the pikemen rout a unit and and start chasing it with swords, dropping their spears on the ground, and later they have to regroup and fight as phalanx somewhere else they would have to go back and pick up their spears?
    Yes. I would like this more than them putting their long spears in a magic pocket.

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by eskil View Post
    it would be cool...but the phalanx the momenti ti drops its pike shoug receive a malus to its stats...since they weren't exactly good swordsmen
    That was actually pretty easy to simulate in RTW, what happened is that they gave each phalangite pretty weak stats to make up for their staying power with phalanx, thats why just the phalanx alone basically killed nothing. Once they switched to swords and units could reach phalangites they fell really fast due to their weak stats. This way of doing it is alot easier than hardcoding set values for both with and without spears. Of course with Warscape that could prove to be tricky. We'll see in two months.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    The depth of men was up to the player however there was quite a clear difference between the Greek and Macedonian style phalanxes in terms of equipment and spear length.
    Spear length and appearance sure, I meant the difference between the phalanx style with underhand spears and the style with overhand spears.

The Extended Greek mod did this in the original.

http://imageshack.us/a/img504/8793/pikeline5uw.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img104/2609/sacredband8wg.jpg

As you can see there is a difference in the way they hold their spears and how they fight.

I hope they make it so that phalanx units can't make 360 degree turns so fast. Phalanxes turn a very long time to completely turn around and face their flank in ancient times but in RTW, they could completely turn around in 1 second...

Poseidon45's Avatar Foederatus

If its anything like RTW when you try to turn them they lift up their spears and break formation and are left wide open for attack

Did anyone notice that egyptian phalanx can easily drop and lift their pikes like it has no weight in rezzed demo?
    I like how they implemented phalanx in rome 1 but in rome 2, those pikes seems very light as feather... Just my opinion....

DogSoldierSPQR's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by jamreal18 View Post
    Did anyone notice that egyptian phalanx can easily drop and lift their pikes like it has no weight in rezzed demo?
    I like how they implemented phalanx in rome 1 but in rome 2, those pikes seems very light as feather... Just my opinion....
    Small animations like that I believe are not in the game yet
    I personally invite you to check out my complete combat overhaul which will give you a completely new Rome 2 experience:
    (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ere!-(26-10-13)
    If you rep me, leave that beautiful name of yours so I know who you are
    That a salesperson at my door? Where my Gladius at??
    An empire always fails because it never sees the potential in the individual. The smaller state never fails because it has no choice but to... - DogSoldierSPQR

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

I hope they don't do what the units with long spears do in Shogun 2 when switching to swords.. strap the huge spears to their back like it is nothing! Immersion breaker. Would be nice if they dropped them on the ground with a little animation and then could pick them up again. Kind of like how units can abandon and come back to their siege equipment, or how cavalry can dismount then remount.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

Quote Originally Posted by McCarronXLD View Post
    I hope they don't do what the units with long spears do in Shogun 2 when switching to swords.. strap the huge spears to their back like it is nothing! Immersion breaker. Would be nice if they dropped them on the ground with a little animation and then could pick them up again. Kind of like how units can abandon and come back to their siege equipment, or how cavalry can dismount then remount.
    This would definitely be nice to see.

EDIT: Double post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12