Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DRA Option Setting for Haswell CPUs

Centenarius

Default DRA Option Setting for Haswell CPUs

I just saw this setting (a check box to the right of the screen) in the options screen during the Pontus live stream play on Twitch. Does anyone know what this does? Has there been any discussion on it? Will it have a large performance impact for Haswell users?

Default Re: DRA Option Setting for Haswell CPUs

Let's hope so!

So can anyone explain what exactly it does? Maybe utilises all the cores? As I have Haswell processor as well. Very interesting.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

How do you assume it will only be for Haswell? What means DRA?
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have no idea what it is, never seen it before and google does not seem to know what it is either.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    How do you assume it will only be for Haswell? What means DRA?
    I saw it briefly in the stream as well and it said it would boost performance for Haswell CPU's.Not sure how it works though or what it stands for

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Perhaps using avx2 commands but doubt that they included them and why a switch there. No sense for me
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Ok got the answer

Ok got the answer
    And the answer is...?

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

The answer is with God and alQamar now

Is it SMT? And why no AVX2 support?

Haswell also supports 2-way SMT/Hyper Threading.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/i...architecture/6
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Total-...marks-1086131/

Notice how it says SMT changes min fps from 18 to 22.Is this what you are talking about? I dont own the game to see.
    3570K 4700mhz cooled with Corsair H80 // Asus Z77 // MSI GTX 580
    16GB 2400mhz DDR3 // Crucial M4 256GB Raid 0 // Dell 2007WFP

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by c.ryo View Post
    And the answer is...?
    sorry for that. Forum was unusable this time yesterday. As it recovered I was sleeping
    here is a screenshot. Tooltip describes it is enabling a direct rendering on Haswell CPUs only but this feature degrades the CPU performance. A reviewer said the graphics will improve with this enabled. But no measures about the "costs" yet.

feel free to post benchmarks herehttp://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?612381-The-TWC-Total-War-Benchmark-thread-compare-your-real-TW-performance
    Last edited by alQamar; September 03, 2013 at 03:41 AM.

It's only when you use the integrated GPU of Haswell, not when u use a discreet graphics card! Essentially only for laptop users. It allows for quicker simultaneous access between CPU and GPU (but only for the iGPU of Haswell).

The tooltip is wrong and shouldn't talk about CPU. CA Idiots!!! (sorry, but they slowly annoy the crap out of me with their rushed ).

It's Direct Resource Access btw.

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    It's only when you use the integrated GPU of Haswell, not when u use a discreet graphics card! Essentially only for laptop users. It allows for quicker simultaneous access between CPU and GPU (but only for the iGPU of Haswell).

The tooltip is wrong and shouldn't talk about CPU. CA Idiots!!! (sorry, but they slowly annoy the crap out of me with their rushed ).

It's Direct Resource Access btw.
    I do not understand. I have a Intel® Core™ i7-4770. This is Haswell. My GPU is a Nvidia Geforce GTX.

Haswell is just the codename of the Inter processors or not?
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

Haswell is just the codename of the Inter processors or not?
    Yes

@joedreck
    1/3rd of your 'CPU' die is actually occupied by an integrated GPU.

Intel probably 'bribed' CA to add special Haswell GPU support because Intel is trying to compete with AMD and Nvidia in that area. I hate that because it's a proprietary feature which can only be used by a very very small minority.
    Last edited by A Barbarian; September 03, 2013 at 06:43 AM.

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    @joedreck 1/3rd of your 'CPU' die is actually occupied by an integrated GPU. Intel probably 'bribed' CA to add special Haswell GPU support because Intel is trying to compete with AMD and Nvidia in that area. I hate that because it's a proprietary feature which can only be used by a very very small minority.
    Ok, so I have this Haswell and CA support this. Why I can't activate the DRA?
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

You can't activate it because you are using the Geforce GTX graphics card. The DRA feature enables a special fast data path between the Haswell CPU and GPU. It can't be used with a separate graphics card.

Again, the tooltip is misleading and it would be better if they would completely hide the stupid checkbox if it can't be used anyway.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...source-accessI have a 4770K, so I will check it out later.... especially if someone reminds me of how to run on just the integrated graphics.

@ProfoundYou can turn on the iGPU in the BIOS and then you have to install Intel drivers. BUT you have to use the integrated GPU for rendering the game, not your discreet graphics card. And the iGPU will be slower than any discreet graphics card except the lowest end cards. So it's not a good idea if you have a decent normal GPU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast