Thread: This mod is... unplayable!

Tiro

Default This mod is... unplayable!

Sorry guys for bad mood, but this mod seriously have problems. It's been quite a long time since the last 1.2 patch and no updates, whatsoever. CTDs are killing this potencially great mod. I had both random loading battle and after battle CTD's in my 365 AD campaign.
    Also strange thing when some factions (gots, franks, alemani) resiege settlements every turn! At the start of every turn I get diplomatic message that I'm at war with them (somehow wars start-end in turns length...).
    Also dunno if that should be so, but in family tree all male (females not) characters are dead except for Julianus. Also "lists" window needs to be scrolled horizontally a bit. And Last thing that when loading battles sometimes I see my desktop between windows loading picture.
    Hope some updates will come in future and make this mod more joyfull. Good work with that!

Tiro

Default Re: This mod is... unplayable!

OK, please clear thing up for me. Maybe I messed up my installiation? I've downloaded and installed all SAI parts (I, II, III) and then applied 1.2 patch. But is that patch really needed?

Does this sentence: "Patch One is designed for those people who have already downloaded the original Parts I & II before the 4th April 2011. Latest Version as at 19th July 2011" mean that I only need to download parts I, II, III and that's all? How about Horfix-1? Is it needed?

Thanks in advance for your patience.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by Zydrius View Post
    Sorry guys for bad mood, but this mod seriously have problems. It's been quite a long time since the last 1.2 patch and no updates, whatsoever. CTDs are killing this potencially great mod. I had both random loading battle and after battle CTD's in my 365 AD campaign.
    This mod, due to its high graphics can cause CTDs to occur. Please see the main page thread which outlines how to deal with CTDs.

Also strange thing when some factions (gots, franks, alemani) resiege settlements every turn! At the start of every turn I get diplomatic message that I'm at war with them (somehow wars start-end in turns length...).
    This is done deliberately via the background script for the first few moves to enable barbarian factions to attack the roman empire and also to stop the West and Eastern sections of the empire attacking each other, again for a few moves.

Also dunno if that should be so, but in family tree all male (females not) characters are dead except for Julianus. Also "lists" window needs to be scrolled horizontally a bit. And Last thing that when loading battles sometimes I see my desktop between windows loading picture.
    That is how it is meant to be. The dead characters represent Julian's family tree. And Julian is barren

Hope some updates will come in future and make this mod more joyfull. Good work with that!
    There will be another update in the future but can't say when as yet.

By installing 1.2 patch you are absolutely sure of having the latest version. Also don't forget the hotfix.

Anyway, I think you have been far too mean towards all those who have put their efforts into this great work. It's true, as all RTW mods there are CTDs, maybe more than other mods, but before calling it unplayable...personally, I only get post-battle CTDs and in very clear situations (huge battle with reinforcements from a city, huge battle with last faction character killed..), goes fine otherwise.

Those messages popping up every turn are because the background script forces some factions to be at peace or at war. Unfortunately this doesn't prevent the campaign AI from attacking during their turn, but the diplomatic stance will be changed back to peace the following turn, of course after losing some men due to the siege.......

The thing with family tree is because Julian had no close relatives, so when he dies another family member with his personal tree will take power.

I found simple things like changing your graphics from RSII back to Vanilla helped greatly in reducing battle CTD's.
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan 666 View Post
    Anyway, I think you have been far too mean towards all those who have put their efforts into this great work. It's true, as all RTW mods there are CTDs, maybe more than other mods, but before calling it unplayable...personally, I only get post-battle CTDs and in very clear situations (huge battle with reinforcements from a city, huge battle with last faction character killed..), goes fine otherwise.
    Well, I don't want to be mean as I said It's potencially great mod , which is what it means - it has potence, but CTS are killing it. I can't say that I get CTDs in big battles: for me 2vs1 stacks or 2vs2 aren't big battles as 2nd stack can be only one unit... If battles with reinforcements always generate CTDs that's really sad ;(.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan 666 View Post
    By installing 1.2 patch you are absolutely sure of having the latest version. Also don't forget the hotfix.
    Huh, first time I installed all 3 parts plus patch, I had about maybe 10 turns whatsoever. Now I reinstalled mod with only 3 parts (no patch) and I'm getting CTD when ending my (Roman) 2nd turn. Probably it's due to rebelling cities, but in my first install all rebellions went seccessfully.

And how about the hotfix? It isn't just "extract->copy"? Do I need to run the install files after extracting? The problem is that folder names differ (It was something like "12 tpy script" and "12 turns per year script" so no mod files were overwritten when copying files).

I found simple things like changing your graphics from RSII back to Vanilla helped greatly in reducing battle CTD's.
    Well it might help, but Vanilla graphics are terrible... I have been playing Roma Surrectum for a long time and CTDs were very rare. But SAI looks like might need more recources as units here look much more "heavier", maybe not all sprites are good enough.

Quote:

This is done deliberately via the background script for the first few moves to enable barbarian factions to attack the roman empire and also to stop the West and Eastern sections of the empire attacking each other, again for a few moves.
    Thanx for all your answers. Hope it's just for few turns, but it's realy a bit stupid when franks or alemanni, goths, saxons have so many full stacks and resiege settlements each turn when they could simply take them! There should be some explanation somewhere about such script behavior in the first turns to make things clearer... Quadi did well and took Carnuntum and Aquinqum, would be nice to have same pressure from other nations as well.

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Zydrius, I would be very careful about how you go about explaining your opinions and seeking help if you continue with your current tone.

Saying things like "really a bit stupid" and "potentially a great mod" aren't going to get you anywhere. It isn't potentially a great mod, it is a great mod. And I say IS because a lot of people are playing it, myself included, without the sheer amount of problems you seem to be running into, which seems to indicate the problem lies at your end, either due to hardware or installation issues. Therefore, perhaps it would be fairer to say you have the potential to enjoy this mod, but have not been able to due to bugs.

Personally, I agree with Spartan 66:

It's true, as all RTW mods there are CTDs, maybe more than other mods, but before calling it unplayable...personally, I only get post-battle CTDs and in very clear situations (huge battle with reinforcements from a city, huge battle with last faction character killed..), goes fine otherwise.
    I only ever get crashes either in siege reinforcements or last family member killed scenarios. Its also worth remembering the game crashes with large battles after every 2nd, 3rd battle (I played EB and RTR, and both crashed after a few battles too, this is likely to be an engine problem of RTW itself, rather than the mods in question, including IBSAI) so what I did was save the game after each battle, and after the 2nd large battle, I would exit the game, and start again to prevent it from crashing.

I hope that helps.

Tiro

Well you can change word stupid into weird/strange, maybe that would sound prompter in English. Just from my gaming experience this really looks strange/weird when AI resieges settlements each turn... But if there is no other way to make AI to be at peace let it be so, just would be better if I had read and known about it somewhere (in forum, game notes,...) as until the team had explaided it in this thread, I had no idea what's happening and I thought it's corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda View Post
    Personally, I agree with Spartan 66:

I only ever get crashes either in siege reinforcements or last family member killed scenarios. Its also worth remembering the game crashes with large battles after every 2nd, 3rd battle (I played EB and RTR, and both crashed after a few battles too, this is likely to be an engine problem of RTW itself, rather than the mods in question, including IBSAI) so what I did was save the game after each battle, and after the 2nd large battle, I would exit the game, and start again to prevent it from crashing.

I hope that helps.

But sieges reinforcements are quite common thing? I mean if you're laying siege, AI often attacks you and siege army is involved or I like attacking enemy army with enemy reinforcements from settlement (to kill garrisson). You mean in all this cases I need to use autoresolve coz it'll always generate CTDs? And if we're talking about potency, here's the space where to improve as I can't say that for example in RS siege reinforcements were causing many game issues .

The the issue about siege reinforcements is this: when you lay siege to a city and another enemy army attacks you, the garrison army will also join the battle. If you wipe out the garrison army to the point there won't be enough man to maintain the garrison, CTD is very likely. Especially when involving family characters and, most of all, the last of them...

Foederatus

Hello gentlemen,

I note that Spartan 666 mentioned that "I only get post-battle CTDs ... in very clear situations (..., huge battle with last faction character killed..)".

I am having this particular problem - CTD post-battle (big or small) when the last faction character is killed WHILE the faction still has regions (ie. it doesnt happen if last faction character is killed in the process of me taking his last city).

I have done a lot of searching but cannot find anything but this passing reference above.

Does anyone have any more info on this CTD and what (if anything) can be done about it. I remember this never happened with RTW-vanilla BUT it seems to happen in mods (both herein INVASIO BARBORUM) and in mine (RTRPE).

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    phalanx_man.

Look above, Knonfoda mentions it the last family member thing dying. (Still holding territory can count too) Though for IBSAI I haven't played SP in a while but from the last time I played it was waves of CTDs. I recommend saving every turn and making multiple saves too while you're at it.

Might be because of scripts such as EB CTDs from some faulty scripting, or memory leaks. (I use Maxmem to clear memory) RTW is generally one unstable game in my opinion.

In Chivalry Total War I haven't crashed yet.
    炸鸡

Tiro

Try to autoresolve battle. Maybe that would help or kill faction leader together with the last settlement. Other than these assumptions I lnow nothing to help you.

In my 361 roman campaign I killed faction leaders several times (at least twice - sassanid leder in Seleucia-Ctetifon (?) and hording Ostrogoth leader in the last stack).

Foederatus

OK - Thanks Guys.

No one else seems to know why - luckily it is not a campaign-killer because I can just avoid killing that last roman family member until I am taking his las city.

It is just a strange mystery.

Regards,
    Vlad "phalanx_man"