Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with cardinals?

Default What do you do with cardinals?

I can see no practical purpose for a cardinal other than waiting to (hopefully) be elected as pope.

Does a cardinal increase catholicism in the region in which he's resident?

Is it best just to keep him holed-up in your capital city?

What other cool stuff can he do other than lounge-around all day drinking mead?

johnhughthom's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: What do you do with cardinals?

Get him out denouncing heretics, or preaching in non-christian lands to get his piety up so he will have a better chance to become Pope.

Denouncing heretics? By 'heretic' do you mean family members from other factions with low peity?

johnhughthom's Avatar Vicarius

No, they are characters who go round preaching heretical beliefs. If you see one in your land you need to get rid of him sharpish or you will have an inquisitor at your door soon. And you don't want that. Denouncing heretics gives an excellent boost to piety too
    I had a cardinal go from 5 to 9 piety just by denouncing 5 heretics.

I played over 30 turns and still haven't seen a heretic. The difficulty level I'm playing is H/H.

They're not as common as I thought they would be... look inlands with lower catholicism in them.

Priests (and spies for that matter) are a little too... um... efficient at their jobs in this game. There's no real challenge to converting and spying on people in the game.

Ebullient Princesses! Titles! Bloodlines! Bastard Traitors!
    So much fun in one little BBB package! Get yours today!

lawngnome's Avatar Cool as a Dry Ice.

They (and witches) tend to be bunched up and come in waves. As Hungary through 60 turns I saw about 1... as France through 60 turns I saw about 6 heretics and 2 witches... oh, and KILL those witches pronto, or they will cast bad spells on your generals.... not really spells, but he gets bad traits if he is near one because his men will take something small (like 'warts') and get afraid of it... lowers battle morale and the whole bit. Kill witches!
    Under the patronage of lawngnome. Patron of lawngnome.

Laetus

I have had heretics appear in high catholicism lands.

Ringeck's Avatar Lauded by his conquests

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralAsh View Post
    I have had heretics appear in high catholicism lands.
    It happens, but very, very rarely - usually as a result of them wandering in from elsewhere where you can't see due to the FoW. My current (H/H) capital of Hamburg (I'm the danes) is the seat of catholicism in Europe - it is, at 100% catholicism, holier than the Pope, with the last heretical belief disappearing in AD 1120 or so. That doesn't stop heretics from wandering over from polish (allied; the poles are such nice guys, my only neighbour who haven't stabbed me in the back, probably because I'm keeping big armies at that border and their 100 years war with the Hungarians) Thorn and messing up my wonderfully streamlined (and big, Hamburg is currently the largest city on the map) capital. Hambug has not produced a Heretic for over 150 years.
    -Client of ThiudareiksGunthigg-

tabacila speaks a sad truth:
    Well I guess fan boys aren't creatures meant to be fenced in. They roam free like the wild summer wind...

I sure do love my full piety Cardinal Jerome the Warmonger...he knows what to do with heretics allright.

A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.
    --George Patton

Hell hath no fury like a non-combatant.
    --Charles Edward Montague

Oscar Wilde was a child molester. Quoting him doesn't mean that you're smart...you're just promoting a homosexual pedophile.
    --Sgt. Schultz

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Er well... in the case of my Cardinals, three of them became Pope once I had eliminated most of the other Catholic factions.

I assassinated them.

Can you have more than one cardinal at the same time?

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Yes, you can have many cardinals. In one game as Venice, Poland has about 8 Cardinals.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

I have so many Cardinals that one of my guys was elected Pope with just their votes alone. The more Cardinals you have, the better. I just keep my guys in all the important cities in case a heretic or witch passes by.

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Playing England, I had 5 Cardinals at one point and elected one them Pope. I haven't seen any benefits to having my Cardinal as Pope. You lose your best religious character, you don't get any extra access to any new Papal diplomacy options, all the Catholic factions I'm at war with still hate me and I'm still at war with them. No Papal monetary gains, nothing. There might be some underlying affects I'm not aware of, but IMO there's no advantage to having one of your guys elected Pope other than Papal standing.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

You can't control the papacy. But you can Manipulate it.

I'm kicking ass as the Scots. I won the shot campaign in something like 50 turns. I had the worlds largest faction in 46.

What the world doesn't realise is that I have a hand in the papacy. I have 5 cardinals, I make a tactical choice as to which preferati gets my vote. It isn't always advantageous to have your own pope in power.

If you're warmongering, fighting other catholic factions, elect another catholic pope because you're going to get excommunicated whether its your pope, or the enemies, or a neutral, so it doesn't matter, best not to waste your cardinals.

The key to this tactic follows.

A highly trained assassin. Sit him near Rome. Getting bored of the current Pope? Slit his throat. Elect a Neutral pope and you're away again. You're instantly reconciled, no more crusades, happy days!. If you're coming to the end of hostilities, get one of your cardinals in and suck up to him If not, elect anyone.

I was waring with the French - They had one province left and I hacked the pope down. A French pope came about (due to French 3 and Dane 3 vs my English 4 and Portuguese 1). He existed for 1 turn before he died of suspiciously unnatural causes. Alas, next turn I found myself with a Scottish Pope.

The fact I was responsible for ~90,000 civilian deaths across western Europe, played a fairly critical part to the disappearance of the English, French, and Milanese was forgotten in an instant.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

That sucks that you can't take full advantage of the Pope. You should be able to wage war against the other catholic factions all you want while still keeping a supreme religious standing. Like your faction has the most faith and every other catholic faction you attack are considered heretics and blasphemers.

Quote Originally Posted by dearmad View Post
    Priests (and spies for that matter) are a little too... um... efficient at their jobs in this game. There's no real challenge to converting and spying on people in the game.
    Bring back the feature from MTW where a spy can sometimes find out when an enemy is about to attack you. A spy in the enemy's capitol or adjacent to a faction leader could be used for this in MTW2... perhaps in the expansion.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

In my spanish campaign I have 9 cardinals and the pope, which I find rather funny.
    I sin for the good of humankind
    "I praise, I do not reproach, [nihilism's] arrival. I believe it is one of the greatest crises, a moment of the deepest self-reflection of humanity. Whether man recovers from it, whether he becomes master of this crisis, is a question of his strength."
    -Nietzsche
    Truth is not a law, a democracy, a book or a norm not even a constitution. Nor can it be read in the stars.

The current Pope in my game started at age 32, luckily he really loves me but I'm waiting for him to kick the bucket as I have 5 cardinals waiting to assume the spot. I've been attacking factions freely for many turns now so it's awesome to have him on your side!
    "Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith.
    Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge."

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast