Thread: How important is being remembered to you?

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Icon2 How important is being remembered to you?

I turned 30 in September last year and I been thinking a lot lately about how old I'm getting. I read a lot of history and always think that these people and events happened so long ago and they are still remembered and celebrated millennia or centuries later. Ive been wondering how i can be remembered. Even when it comes to icons like Alexander the Great only he is remembered not many of his soldiers

I think that part of the reason I enjoy writing so much (besides just creating stuff and so on) is that it leaves a part of you behind. Like you put your thoughts in a real world form and even after you leave its still there and others can see and feel your words. Nearly ll my writing relates to gaming and technology, especially since i just got a job as a games journalist. It's hardly stuff that wil echo though history.

Really though in a hundred years anything ive penned now still exist or even be remembered i don't want to just vanish into the dust, a nameless memory. Sure my kids and their kids will come after me but I'm still going to be a name buried in a database somewhere. I want to be a name that people remember for good or ill. I haven't though of a good way to make my mark on the world, but I'm sure ill think of something, if that is i don't pen some masterpiece one day that goes down in history as a book that will never be forgotten.

Is being remembered important to you? if so what steps are you taking to ensure you leave a legacy, besides kids?
    Last edited by Yojimbo; January 02, 2014 at 12:23 PM.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: How important is being remembered to you?

It's simple vanity I think.
    It's not something that one should dwell on, your legacy doesn't effect you and a lot of effort can very easily be wasted on it: one should simply endeavor to do what they do best to the best of their abilities, indulging in self-aggrandizement can only be a detriment to true endeavors.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

It would be nice, but its importance is easy to dismiss intellectually.

If there was an afterlife, then who cares.
    If there is not, you won't be able to care.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

SomaaTheLion's Avatar Decanus

I constantly think about the same thing.. and I'm still 15. But in the end all we are is "dust in the wind".
    We the willing, led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful, we have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by SomaaTheLion View Post
    I constantly think about the same thing.. and I'm still 15. But in the end all we are is "dust in the wind".
    لا شيء يدوم
    Take a deep breath bro.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    It's simple vanity I think.
    It's not something that one should dwell on, your legacy doesn't effect you and a lot of effort can very easily be wasted on it: one should simply endeavor to do what they do best to the best of their abilities, indulging in self-aggrandizement can only be a detriment to true endeavors.
    I disagree. If it were simple vanity why would statues be built to famous people so they can be remembered? is the lincoln memorial just a pointless waste of stone and a monument to vanity? I don't think there's anything vain about leaving the world different than what it was before your life, in a lasting way.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post

Personally, if there is it would suck seeing everyone forget me. If there's not I still want to go knowing I left my mark.

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Should there be an afterlife, would it really be wise to be famous? You might end up spending eternity signing autographs to the newcomers.
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

pacifism's Avatar see the day
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Should there was an afterlife the newcomers would be able to wait.
    Read the latest TWC Content and check out the Wiki!
    ---
    Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post

Well, that depends if you know what your legacy will be. If I had had a hard life struggling to produce something, or fighting against something, I'd die a lot happier knowing that my efforts would produce admiration and respect even if I didn't live to see it.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

SomaaTheLion's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    لا شيء يدوم
    Take a deep breath bro.
    Indeed Himster may I ask how you knew of this proverb?
    We the willing, led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful, we have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

I kind of like general anonymity. There's something to be said for living relatively quietly.

Don't make too big of a splash, you'll just upset people.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Centenarius

You must also consider the way you are remembered. Extreme example: most of us have have heard of Adolf Hitler. He and his influence on history are likely not going to be forgotten very soon. Yet, is such a legacy one you'd want to leave behind? Does it matter that one is remembered or does it matter why or what for one is remembered? If the first option is correct, the easiest (if one can ignore, shut down or simply lacks morality) way to achieve your goal is probably to commit every possible atrocious act you can imagine and make sure you get a lot of publicity. Success guaranteed. If you believe the second option to be true, you're gonna have to make a lasting positive impression upon society and that's a lot harder to do. Just a point I wanted to bring up.

As for me, I'd like to be remembered, at least by friends and family, but in a positive way. Being remembered isn't worth making the world an even more crappy place in my opinion.
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by SomaaTheLion View Post
    Indeed Himster may I ask how you knew of this proverb?
    I taught art to a number of Iranian students, the topic came up while discussing a project I set surrounding a particular poem by Theodore Tilton: http://elfinspell.com/TiltonAllThings.html
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Cohors_Evocata View Post
    You must also consider the way you are remembered. Extreme example: most of us have have heard of Adolf Hitler. He and his influence on history are likely not going to be forgotten very soon. Yet, is such a legacy one you'd want to leave behind? Does it matter that one is remembered or does it matter why or what for one is remembered? If the first option is correct, the easiest (if one can ignore, shut down or simply lacks morality) way to achieve your goal is probably to commit every possible atrocious act you can imagine and make sure you get a lot of publicity. Success guaranteed. If you believe the second option to be true, you're gonna have to make a lasting positive impression upon society and that's a lot harder to do. Just a point I wanted to bring up.

As for me, I'd like to be remembered, at least by friends and family, but in a positive way. Being remembered isn't worth making the world an even more crappy place in my opinion.
    Had Hitler won he would be remembered more like Alexander in 2000 years. He gave it his best shot.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Slydessertfox's Avatar Vicarius

I don't particularly care given I'll be dead.