Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Vicky 2 mod] Alt-History: Code Geass Timeline

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: [Vicky 2 mod] Alt-History: Code Geass Timeline

New version up. For some reason I can't attach it here, so I linked to the mod's Paradox forum thread instead. Unlike most Paradox titles, guests can visit the Vicky 2 modding forum.
    Non-TW AAR: Kantai Kessen - Empire of Japan [HOI3 with HPP mod] - last updated April 16, 2013

New version up. You'll need to get it from the mod's Paradox forum thread, since for some reason I still can't attach the 1.4 MB file here. I've merged it with PDM 3.06, and the changes in Europe throw the balance off in Austria's favor and I wanted to get them posted for you guys to enjoy. Please look at the "A note on the setting" part of the readme to understand why the borders look the way they do. In my test, France still did pretty good and formed the EU, but none of the German states auto-joined the EU when it formed, which is a good thing IMO. I was playing as Britannia, so I don't know how the AI does. At the moment, I don't see any more political border changes being made.

Next release I'll focus on adding content and flavor for Britannia, such as a civil war over slavery, the Area System, and figuring out when to turn Anglo-Americans into accepted pops in order to stop the massive MIL gain due to being non-accepted. Except for the underline items, I'll be using this post as inspiration for Britannian events: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post16560485
    Non-TW AAR: Kantai Kessen - Empire of Japan [HOI3 with HPP mod] - last updated April 16, 2013

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don`t see why France would from the EU.They might have kick stated liberal ideals but by no means France wanted to treat the rest as equals, especially the Germans.

The EU, itself, in the 17th and 18th is too much, even in the 21th century after two bloody world wars we can`t get it to work that fast.

Maybe this EU could have Franch,Occitanian, Breton, Wallonian, Spanish, Catalan, Portuguese, North Italian and South Italian as accepted.Basically all the western latin populations plus the Bretons and it shouldn`t be joinable by anyone else.It`s just my idea,in my opinion, it sounds more reasonable then implementing today`s EU two centuries earlier.
    You could change it`s name into the Latin Union, it would be more fitting.

I have to say, your back story is very good and the work you have done by now is impressive.

Thanks for the feedback. The mod is based on the timeline from the Code Geass world, which diverged from ours about 30 years before Vicky 2 takes place, so I felt it would serve as a good alt-universe setting where the focus of the game turns to "blobbing". Since the CG story takes place in 2010's, a big gap exists between Napoleon being killed before becoming Emperor and the start of the series. That said, three of the things the show is definite about is that Britannia formed during our timeline's Napoleonic Wars when the monarchy was thrown out of Britain, China was still ruled by the Han dynasty (well, the Eunuchs really), and that the EU formed in the late 1800s. Everything else from those vague statements I and other contributors came up with, with the intent of creating a scenario that is as plausible as possible. Now, what form it initially took is a different matter, and when it currently forms in the mod it will most likely form owning the land where those cultures you listed live and have to unite the rest of the continent by force.

Currently the balance is off a bit once the EU forms (EU steamrolls everyone because the German states are disunited and too weak), so for the version after the next one I'll throw together some flavor events for the Holy Roman Empire to unite as one country if the EU exists. The show depicts WW1-style trench warfare with a German soldier in one scene, so I can see an EU vs Germany+Russia war on the scale of WW1 happening. Having the EU steamroll everything isn't much fun and ruins the game balance for China and Britannia, which are also supposed to "blob".
    Last edited by TheBromgrev; January 10, 2014 at 04:29 PM.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Man, i love code geass. Too bad all the games based off it are visual novels.

Thanks for the explaining the back story of the timeline.It states that EU was started by France?I would have picked Germany in an heartbeat.After 1800`s France`s days as Europe`s most important country are long gone.In this time frame Germany rose to prominence hence why ,in my opinion, why if this EU must exist, it would be formed around Germany, not France.Even if France formes it,I don`t see how they can hold it together,the Germans would break free at the first sign of weakness.

I do hope you aren`t afraid to deviate from the timeline.

EU has cores on entire Europe and has accepted status for all?

HRE will be for Austria only, or for Prussia as well?I see you have given a lot of polish land to both, Prussia and Austria.It would be good to let them get accepted status for Polish, as a decision or when they realise some kind of union.

I`ll give a try to the mod when I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBlast View Post
    Thanks for the explaining the back story of the timeline.It states that EU was started by France?I would have picked Germany in an heartbeat.After 1800`s France`s days as Europe`s most important country are long gone.In this time frame Germany rose to prominence hence why ,in my opinion, why if this EU must exist, it would be formed around Germany, not France.Even if France formes it,I don`t see how they can hold it together,the Germans would break free at the first sign of weakness.
    In the mod's main thread in the Paradox forum, several people brought up the idea of Germans in the EU rebelling if certain undetermined conditions were met. As far as France goes, in this timeline it hadn't suffered the emotional rollercoaster surrounding the Napoleonic Wars, as Napoleon had been killed after achieving success as a general but before becoming emperor. The source material (Akito the Exiled, a side story made by a different director that takes place in the EU during the 2nd season of the original series) explicitly says that the French republicans feared Napoleon's power and thought he would seek to use his fame to become a dictator, so they killed him before Napoleon could proclaim himself Emperor. The source doesn't say when exactly that happened, so I chose 1804 because it made the most sense to me. What would happen afterward is anyone's guess, so at the moment I decided that nations west of the Rhine would go through Republican Revolutions (the UK had to; it's the reason Britannia even exists) and a stalemate would exist between France and the HRE.

If you have other suggestions, please feel free to offer them. I have it set so the EU can't form unless the Revolution & Counter-revolution tech has been researched, so it won't form prior to 1870. The show definitely depicts WW1-style trench warfare in Europe with a German soldier on one side, so I can imagine an EU vs HRE+Russia war after 1900 that results in the EU's victory and expansion east.

EU has cores on entire Europe and has accepted status for all?
    The EU would have cores on all of Europe as well as Turkey and the Caucasus, but at the moment it does not have accepted status for everyone.

HRE will be for Austria only, or for Prussia as well?I see you have given a lot of polish land to both, Prussia and Austria.It would be good to let them get accepted status for Polish, as a decision or when they realise some kind of union.
    HRE will be Austria-only, while the NGF->German Empire events will be for Prussia. The split is mainly due to laziness on my part, because I don't want to rewrite a whole bunch of Pop Demand events that still work

Except for Britain, the borders in Europe follow the Treaty of Amiens (link). Since I decided the 2nd point of divergence would be Napoleon's execution in 1804, this means that Congress Poland never existed, so Prussia, Austria, and Russia each control the parts of Poland they occupied during the 3rd Partition.

I`ll give a try to the mod when I have time.
    Let me know what you think if you give it a try. I'm always open to suggestions and feedback.

I haven`t played it but getting so many cores seems op, maybe the cores should be added after the territory has been conquered?

Talking about the formation of EU, maybe it should require for it to have certain countries or territories in sphere?For example all North Italian territories not held by Austria?After that they could get cores or even accepted status on other territories after said lands have been conquered and held for a few years.

There should be an equilibrium when it comes to potential between HRE and the German Empire.Have you thought about what populations who will be accepted in each?

Hmmm...For HRE you can have a lot of accepted populations, South German, Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Croats, Slovene, Slovakian,Romanian plus the North Germans.All of those have been inside historical HRE or have strong ties to Austria itself.

For The German Empire it could be North German, South German, Czech, Dutch, Polish, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and British/English maybe. All Germanic populations plus the Polish given the large Polish population Prussia has, Prussia, itself, would in a hurry to form a counter part to EU rather then persecute the Polish.

P.S. What about a more fitting name for the German Empire...The Reich of Germania? Brasil has the name The Empire of Brasil so the wording is used in game as well.

Some ideas, I hope you find some of them useful.
    Last edited by ShockBlast; January 11, 2014 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBlast View Post
    P.S. What about a more fitting name for the German Empire...The Reich of Germania?

It wouldnt make that much sense. Besides, the EU should be the most likely scenario, seeing as they control not only all of Europe but parts of the the middle east and Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciciro View Post

It wouldnt make that much sense. Besides, the EU should be the most likely scenario, seeing as they control not only all of Europe but parts of the the middle east and Africa.
    Today`s EU on the scale of the entire European continent is ok, but a Pan Germanic union is not? It was just a suggestion, anyway.

I understand that TheBromgrev is following the timeline, but let`s not really get into what is or what is not likely.
    Last edited by ShockBlast; January 11, 2014 at 02:06 PM.

I mainly just have a problem with the name. There can be only one Latin name!

Quote Originally Posted by Ciciro View Post
    I mainly just have a problem with the name. There can be only one Latin name!
    All languages share some words between themselves.Germanic Reich doesn`t sound as well as Reich of Germania.

I hope the op finds something of use from this chatter.

The source material simply doesn't talk about what went on between Napoleon's death (I'm assuming the date was between 1802 and 1804 based on real events in our timeline) and 2010, which is when Britannia conquered a democratic Japan. The series itself starts in 2017. We're given a few glimpses and hints at what happened in the 206 years between in the show itself, and some more tidbits about Britannia in a special-edition short series that was added as part of the Japanese version's collector's box set. The movies that came later cover what went on in the EU in late 2017 and contradict a few things that were shown in the little short series. I'll go ahead and summarize the few known events from the source material to give readers here the background info on the alternate timeline:

1) The UK was not a parliamentary democracy in this timeline, but an absolute monarchy all the way up to the events in bullet 4
    2) Benjamin Franklin was bribed by a British noble and given the title of Earl and given land in colonial America if he would abandon his mission to request aid from Louis XVI, who would've helped had Ben asked for it. This causes the American Revolution to fail, but the French Revolution still happens just like in OTL.
    3) (from the movies about the EU made after the series; I'm going with this version of events) Sometime after the French Revolution but before Napoleon's execution by French republicans, the British capital was moved from London to the American East Coast due to unrest caused by nationalist and republican sympathies in Britain. It's not stated where the capital was moved to, so I decided on Philadelphia.
    4a) (from the movies about the EU made after the series; I'm going with this version of events) Napoleon distinguishes himself as an excellent commander and became famous throughout Europe, but was executed by the Committee of Public Safety, who feared he would use his fame and power to become a dictator, which is what he did in OTL.
    4b) (I'm not using this version, as it came from bonus content and is contradicted by the movies that continue the series) Emperor Napoleon wins the Battle of Trafalgar and invades Britain. The Royal family flees after narrowly escaping an ambush by Scottish Nationalists. Napoleon loses his campaign in Russia, but holds on before being assassinated after the Battle of Waterloo in 1815
    5) After the British Isles erupt into complete chaos, the British Crown abandons the home islands and creates a new nation, Britannia, out of its North American colonies
    6) Nobles from Europe fled to Britannia to escape the process of democratization, but these nobles were far more liberal than the Britannian nobles. This eventually led to a North-South War over the issue of slavery. Based on the wording of the translation, this happened around 1853 instead of 1861 in OTL. The translation also talks about bullet 7 in the same scene, so the wording might be incorrect and the date 1853 refers to the Black Ships and the start of European noble migration instead of the civil war
    7) The Black Ships arrived in Japan in 1853, same as OTL
    8) Sometime in the late 1800s, the EU formed with its capital being Paris. No details are given other than Paris being the capital and a rough time frame. The 2010 map shows the EU encompassing all of today's EU, plus Turkey, all of Africa, and most of OTL's former USSR; the Chinese Federation also controls part of OTL's former USSR. I see the 2010 map as an end-goal for the EU in the mod
    9) Once Darwin published his On the Origin of Species, the Britannian elite turned the idea of Natural Selection into something of a state religion that was used to justify their claim to nobility
    10) One brief flashback scene that takes place in Europe depicts a WW1-type scenario, in which a German soldier is running from what looks like a British Mark V tank. No details other than that are given
    11) Since the 2010 invasion of Japan was called the "Second Pacific War", it stands to reason that there was a "First Pacific War" at some point
    12) In 2010, only 6 nations existed: the EU, the Chinese Federation, the Holy Britannian Empire, Japan, the Middle Eastern Federation, and Australia (absolutely no info is provided on Australia other than you need to reach it by plane, but it's color is distinct from the other nations on maps so it isn't a colony, but its own country)

The above gives me enough info to set up the starting scenario given what I know about OTL's Wars of the French Revolution, a few key events, and a potential end goal of having only a few independent nations by the time the game ends in 1935. Everything else is pure guesswork and theorycrafting. Since the in-between events are mostly left unstated, I'm open to any and all suggestions, as long as the main points above are able to be met. I've already decided that the 1836 Continental European borders would be the same as the 1802 borders, so France will be stronger than it was in OTL. Since this mod is a submod of PDM, normal PDM events like the Oriental Crisis, the Crimean War, and the Opium Wars will still happen unless I change them.
    Last edited by TheBromgrev; January 12, 2014 at 12:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12