View Poll Results: what editor for modding you prefer?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • MilkShape 3D

62 45.26%
  • 3dstudio Max

67 48.91%
  • other

12 8.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Mesh/Cas/Engine - MaxScript version of GOAT tool

Default Re: Mesh/Cas/Engine - MaxScript version of GOAT tool

because windows lock the file downloaded from internet, right clic on file > properties > unlock security.
    Forums:............freeforumzone - mtwitalia - twcenter
    Works:.....worldcollision file - ModelReferencePoints files - MaxScript Building Editor
    Other:.............siege-engine(video) - new-animations(video) - buildings
    Have to take the money where it is: at the poor. They have little, but they are many. Alphonse Allais

Hi!
    Now I do not have the opportunity to try, last version will work with 3dMax 2013 ?

i hope the scripts work with all version
    Works:.....worldcollision file - ModelReferencePoints files - MaxScript Building Editor
    Have to take the money where it is: at the poor. They have little, but they are many. Alphonse Allais

just test the "models_missiles" folder, the file must be placed in the original data folder, not in your custom mod. If script can't open some cas files, will be fix in the next release because i need to test a function that force reading in maxscirpt also for not-checked cas version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0001.jpg  

First, I'd like to thank for your work and for this tool set.

I have a problem and maybe you'll know the solution. I've managed to import model, animation and texture. Everything looks ok but when I'm trying to play a run/walk animation the model moves along some kind of path. I'd like to delete this path to make the model moves in place. Do you know how to do this?
    Why I need this? I make a mod for the first Medieval:TW and I need to convert 3d animations into 2d animated sprites. Models moving around the scene makes taking screenshots of each frame very problematic because of the angle changes constantly.

If you or any other user knows the solution I'll be very grateful.

btw When I try to merge mesh and animation via Merge function the result is always corrupted model. The only way is to open the animation first and then the mesh. This way animation is automatically merged with mesh and model isn't corrupted. Is it supposed to work like this? Maybe the Merge function is for something else?

in the last update i fix the skin modifier issue for 3sdmax2014 but autodesk changed 3 time this modifier from 3dsmax9 and it confusing me a lot. What version are you using now ?

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I use Max 2011. Which version of max works the best with your scripts?
    Last edited by Stazi; December 04, 2013 at 02:12 AM.

usually must work with all version... but i don't want install 2011... are you sure you have download last update ?

I use version 67.4 downloaded here. I've previously tried Max 2013 and had the same problem with corrupted textures. If you want I can post screenshots of a model.

EDIT
    I'll download max 2014 trial and let you know how it works.
    Last edited by Stazi; December 04, 2013 at 04:29 AM.

I have 32 bit win7 and Max 2014 has 64bit version only so I can't even install it. I'm afraid there is no hope for me then.

i'll try to make a script for debug...

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhile View Post
    i'll try to make a script for debug...
    Thank you for your efforts. I'm adding some screenshots to let you see what's going on.

1. The two images below show what I get when I first use "Import mesh" function and then "Merge" function:
    (0 frame, 4 frame)

2. The next two images show what i get when first use "3d model > Open" and then "Import mesh":
    (0 frame, 4 frame)

The 2nd option gives correct result while the 1st obviously not.
    Files used: "mount_barded_horse_lod0.mesh" and "fs_heavy_horse_run.cas" from the clean/original MTW2 install.
    Last edited by Stazi; December 05, 2013 at 05:31 AM.

One moment, have you noticed that in first screenshot the skeleton are collapsed ? This because if you want edit animation using a mesh model you MUST insert in the script the relative skeleton. The skeleton are stored in each cas files, mesh file contain only bone reference.
    In this case you are sure at 99.99% that "fs_heavy_horse_***.cas" is the animation associated to "mount_barded_horse_lod0.mesh".
    The GOAT have inside a precompiled skeleton for standard unit so is not able to use custom skeletons...

1 : run cas script, clic on "Extract Skeleton" and open "fs_heavy_horse_***.cas", rename and save "MyHorseSleleton.Skelexport" inside skeleton folder that you found in the script.
    2 : close and open cas script to refresh it, now you will see the "MyHouseSkeleton" in the skeletons list
    3 : clic on "Use Skeleton" instead "only assignment" and select your skeleton from list.
    4 : open mesh file.

One moment, have you noticed that in first screenshot the skeleton are collapsed ? This because if you want edit animation using a mesh model you MUST insert in the script the relative skeleton.
    I can see that but, as I wrote, that's the result of the method I described (1. Import Mesh, 2.Merge with appropriate .cas file). This method may be wrong. I simply inform you what I've done.

In this case you are sure at 99.99% that "fs_heavy_horse_***.cas" is the animation associated to "mount_barded_horse_lod0.mesh".
    I'm 100% sure that these two files can be used together. But, just in case, I've just tried standard fs_horse_run.cas with exactly the same effect.

The GOAT have inside a precompiled skeleton for standard unit so is not able to use custom skeletons...
    I didn't use GOAT. I got animations from this pack.

1 : run cas script, clic on "Extract Skeleton" and open "fs_heavy_horse_***.cas", rename and save "MyHorseSleleton.Skelexport" inside skeleton folder that you found in the script.
    2 : close and open cas script to refresh it, now you will see the "MyHouseSkeleton" in the skeletons list
    3 : clic on "Use Skeleton" instead "only assignment" and select your skeleton from list.
    4 : open mesh file.
    In the 5th step I merged the animation and IT WORKS!! Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Stazi; December 05, 2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: I was thinking too slow.

after 1234 merge same animation... and be sure the "MyHorseSkeleton" is selected from skeletons list, otherwise the cas script try to merge a cas file using skeleton found in the scene, and if is different the script return error.

The "Merge" only apply key frames found in cas file to skeleton in the scene, don't open cas file with "import" , this is for importing model version of cas file + merge animations from the same file.
    Last edited by johnwhile; December 05, 2013 at 01:52 PM.

Hello again! Hope this is still supported. When i try to export a model to mesh, it says "isolated vertex not tested in "name of the object"" error. How do i solve this?

EDIT: speaking of unit models
    Last edited by Conqistador; March 03, 2014 at 02:31 PM.
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

3dstudio allow isolated vertices in the scenario,they are vertices not linked to any faces or edges, in EditablePoly there are a tool to eliminate them. The warning message tell you that witting a mesh file with isolated vertices are not tested in game but can work.
    Isolated vertices are useless because the game draw only triangles... you can have example 100 vertices and 1 triangle, this mean 97 isolated vertices not drawable to game but load game engine. The isolate vertices are generate sometime when you work with editable mesh, when you delete faces with a tool or something else...
    Usually in 3d viewport you don't see them, i don't remember but if you eneable "show vertices ticks" you will noticed that appear some vertices in the void
    Last edited by johnwhile; March 04, 2014 at 02:30 AM.

Removed, now the model was exported successfully. Imported just to be sure, and it worked. Hope that it works in-game too.

EDIT: IT WORKS! How does the game knows what parts of the model are mapped to the attachment textures and what not? Because i'm having some "bad experience" in-game
    Last edited by Conqistador; March 04, 2014 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Conqistador View Post
    EDIT: IT WORKS! How does the game knows what parts of the model are mapped to the attachment textures and what not? Because i'm having some "bad experience" in-game
    As my current experience in Directx9 programming... the Figure+Attachment implementation in medieval2 is know as "texture atlas", the game use two texture to generate one, and "paint" the mesh.

The texture coordinates are from [0,0] to [1,1] uv corners so the game use [0,0] - [0.5,1] corners for first and [0.5,0] - [1,1] for second (i think you understand).
    Instead GOAT that split the two side in two texture, in my script i decided to scale u coordinate by x2 to adapt that game done in 3dstudio, so you'll see the texture range from [0,0] - [2,1] corners.
    OK, there are not very easy in 3dstudio apply two texture with a tiles option... but simply apply both texture to test it.
    A quick tutorial with image are written in the helper m2tw_3dstudio_scripts.chm\mesh\opensaveunits\uvwissue.
    I not tested what happen if you move a uv mesh in the middle of two side... i think you'll see a 50% of Figure and 50% of Attachment in the mesh... but is possible that game's programmer prevent this..

PS: Attention, this texture atlas method is applied only for "Units", in fact if you open a horse or an engine mesh version as "Units" version, you will see a wrong scaled u coordinate in the texture.. but knowledge of mesh version, if it's a unit,mount,engine or building version (yes, exist also building version to edit building animations XD), is not a script problem.
    Last edited by johnwhile; March 05, 2014 at 03:27 AM.

Haha, thanks john, i think i've worked the solution out, thanks!