Thread: Steam legal action

Default Steam legal action

The Australian consumer watchdog is suing the US company behind the wildly popular online video games distribution platform Steam, alleging it misled Australian consumers about their rights and refused to give refunds.
    In court documents filed on Thursday, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission alleges that Valve, the maker of Steam, which has over 65 million users worldwide, made false or misleading representations to Australian customers.
    Among many allegations, the consumer watchdog said that Valve claimed that Australian consumers were not entitled to a refund for any games sold via Steam under any circumstances. The watchdog also alleges that Valve excluded, restricted or modified statutory guarantees and warranties that goods would be of acceptable quality.
    Three Australians are mentioned in court documents who experienced issues with Valve.

On its website Valve states that, unless required by local law, it does "not offer refunds or exchanges" on games.
    It's unclear whether Valve will reject the court action as it doesn't have offices in Australia. But the ACCC firmly believes it can sue the company, and is aready in the process of suing other non-Australian companies, such as Visa and its related entities, in relation to other matters.
    "The Australian Consumer Law applies to any business providing goods or services within Australia. Valve may be an American-based company with no physical presence in Australia, but it is carrying on business in Australia by selling to Australian consumers, who are protected by the Australian Consumer Law," ACCC chairman Rod Sims said.
    "It is a breach of the Australian Consumer Law for businesses to state that they do not give refunds under any circumstances, including for gifts and during sales. Under the Australian Consumer Law, consumers can insist on a refund or replacement at their option if a product has a major fault," Mr Sims said.
    The ACCC is seeking declarations, injunctions, pecuniary penalties, disclosure orders, adverse publicity orders, non-party consumer redress, a compliance program order and costs.
    "We are making every effort to co-operate with the Australian officials on this matter, while continuing to provide Steam services to our customers across the world, including Australian gamers," Valve spokesman Doug Lombardi told Fairfax Media.
    The matter has been filed in the Federal Court's Sydney registry. A date for the first directions hearing is set for October 7, 2014, at the Federal Court in Sydney before Justice Jayne Jagot.
    In 2013, Steam was estimated to have been the source of 75 per cent of all online video game purchases on PC.

Source: The Melbourne Age 31/8/14

Default Re: Steam legal action

Kinda irrelevant to Rome 2 I suppose. I've found that they tend to give up and supply a refund if you can bring up valid law. I recently got a refund for Nether this way.
    modificateurs sans frontičres

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

SenseiJT92's Avatar Decanus

the lack of relevance to Rome 2 is unbelievable..

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Australia are retarded about games.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

In what way Bunny with pancake on its head?

I'm fairly happy that there is action going against Valve for selling games with no refunds.

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well, they're just dumb.

A friend of mine just had a beef with Valve before because he wanted a refund for that ridiculous War Z game and 1 week had passed. The guys (he talked to the Portuguese/Brazilian Steam support) started objecting, saying that he had 24h for that according to the "contract".

He just replied to them with a copy paste of the law (it's a Portuguese law, but technically it's just a translation from an EU directive, every EU country has that with the pretty much exact same terms) and saying he was reporting the situation to the authorities if they didn't refund him.

They did in the exact same day.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Good. Good. more of this kind of action is required against Steam - it benefits all users in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Death from Anon View Post
    the lack of relevance to Rome 2 is unbelievable..

Well it's fairly close isn't it. Unlike in many other industries, the gaming industry doesn't have a watchdog or trading standards or any type of rules and regulations to follow.

Industrys in general are not allowed to make false claims about their product and are watched closely by the watchdogs.

Hopefully it'll change and we'll start seeing some quality in the games released. If not then it's up to the consumers whether or not the quality improves or drops by crippling the industry with a lack of pre orders and not buying DLCs until all obligations are met. Of course it's very difficult as we have kids playing games and humans are emotional thinkers and have fallen vulnerable to the clever marketing strategys.

Senator

I have a mate who asked for a refund on a game released a few months back, they suspended his Steam account, if this gets around at least some people will learn their rights.
    If I had of known, I would certainly have asked for a refund on Rome 2, considering the extremely poor state it was in at release, then bought it during one of the 75% off sales.

Quote Originally Posted by zonks40 View Post
    I have a mate who asked for a refund on a game released a few months back, they suspended his Steam account, if this gets around at least some people will learn their rights.
    Yeah any payment dispute can get your account suspended.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5406-WFZC-5519
    Stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by zonks40 View Post
    If I had of known, I would certainly have asked for a refund on Rome 2, considering the extremely poor state it was in at release, then bought it during one of the 75% off sales.
    Buyer beware.

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Wow, that's just medieval. "Have a problem with us? Oh, well then you won't mind if we just not let you have access anymore..."

Starting to realize why Steam isn't the best platform. Starting to realize having 98% of my game library on Steam might have been a mistake.

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

How do they sue a foreign company that has no physical contact on their territory? Are they going to send out special forces to grab Valve representatives back to Australian court?

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Yeah any payment dispute can get your account suspended.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5406-WFZC-5519
    Stupid.

Buyer beware.
    What the flying .

That didn't happen to me. I can't count how many laws they violate with such thing in EUROPE! The issue in here is that people simply don't press their rights - they don't. They get beaten by them and do nothing about it. And pressing issues in court is prohibitively expensive or a whole mess in many situations.

I wonder how can these American companies operate in Europe if they are pretty much spitting on our face, violating our laws, while profiting.

Had they blocked my account - they didn't, maybe the Portuguese-Brazilian team actually works fine, and by that I mean "respect the law" - I would have made such an issue that they would have to offer me money for what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill View Post
    Wow, that's just medieval. "Have a problem with us? Oh, well then you won't mind if we just not let you have access anymore..."

Starting to realize why Steam isn't the best platform. Starting to realize having 98% of my game library on Steam might have been a mistake.
    That's your ridiculous ultra-unregulated market system at work.

How do they sue a foreign company that has no physical contact on their territory? Are they going to send out special forces to grab Valve representatives back to Australian court?
    They need to have a fiscal address, so technically the administration is in the United States but they do have an address in Australia. In Europe it is the exact same thing - they have an address in Ireland or Luxembourg, one of those, if I'm not mistaken.

In other countries where that doesn't happen, well, that's just a gray-area of lawfulness to which I'm completely oblivious.

In any case, no, they don't - they're probably notified to present themselves to court and if they don't show up the issue may be ruled in absence and they're subject to any decision that may be taken without having a say about it. Of course they'll be present.

If they fail to abide by the courts decision - and that would be what would happen in Portugal, but I'm guessing something similar would happen in Australia - they could impound local assets (e.g - Steam's Australian server computers). There are probably other measures that could be taken but I ignore them.
    Last edited by Vítor Gaspar; August 31, 2014 at 11:22 AM.