Thread: Again...unrealistic turns

Default Again...unrealistic turns

The information that sieges could last for years, implies again we will have unrealistic turns.
    A game like this should have 12 turns a year to have some kind of realism.
    I fear again for several years for a siege and half a dozen years to march from Rome to the North Coast.

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Again...unrealistic turns

Most total war games aim for about 200 to 300 turns for a complete full campaign. So lets say they did a campaign from 400 AD to 480 AD if it is two turns per year it would be 160 turns. If it is 4 turns per year it would be 320 turns. I think it would probably be 4 turns per year since Attila wouldn't be much of a threat if he was only around for 60 turns or so.
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

Quote Originally Posted by Ariovist View Post
    A game like this should have 12 turns a year to have some kind of realism.
    I know that the span of time it takes to carry out actions in TW's setting is beyond ridiculous, but this would be pretty similar too. Most people wouldn't play for more than a few years of game-time. I imagine it wouldn't even take 20 years for a player to win the game.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I actually like the 4 turns per year on this. With 12 turns per year it would take far too many turns to move stuff around. You have to balance gameplay with reality at some point and I think 4tpy is FAR better than 1 turn = 2 years. Or even the 6 months that it was in M2.

4 tpy is perfect for me. I don't know where they got the idea earlier that 1tpy with a random season is good.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

According to IGN article, this game goes on about 70-80 years long. I think 4TPY might be a bit short, considering that much time is similar to Shogun II (starting in 1545 and have to become Shogun before 1600) except that Shogun II is a rush game.

8TPY, or even 12TPY, would do this game justice. Roman armies didn't take seven years to march from Italy to Gaul, they would appear there within weeks or at best a month, so the NTW system of early-late monthly transition allows realistic movement rates.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Lionheartx10's Avatar Youtube Crazy!

I spoke with the devs in an interview yesterday, Attila will be 4TPY (at least thats the plan).
    “To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle.”

http://www.youtube.com/user/lionheartx10

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    8TPY, or even 12TPY, would do this game justice. Roman armies didn't take seven years to march from Italy to Gaul, they would appear there within weeks or at best a month, so the NTW system of early-late monthly transition allows realistic movement rates.
    So at 12TPY it would take nearly 500 turns for Attila to actually appear on the map (434 AD). Think about what your saying man, not everyone has the time to sit in front of a computer for inordinate amounts of time.

By that time you could win the game 5 times over. No 4TPY is the absolute max.

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

I accept 4 tpy , but i do not accept 1 tpy CA!, Rome 2 was a abortion in the planning..
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    According to IGN article, this game goes on about 70-80 years long. I think 4TPY might be a bit short, considering that much time is similar to Shogun II (starting in 1545 and have to become Shogun before 1600) except that Shogun II is a rush game.

Holy crap man. At 12 TPY it would take me roughly 6 months to complete a single campaign at which point I'd probably start a new one at 200.

What crack are you smoking some of us have lives outside of video game land!
    Last edited by Cadian Guardsman; September 26, 2014 at 02:32 AM.

Something to consider would also be the affect that 12TPY would have on your family tree as well. Even if you played it safe you'd likely have family members dying in battle faster than you'd have their sons maturing.