Thread: Campaign tips

Default Campaign tips

So I finally got to play the game without it crashing all the time. Now I have a question...how do you actually play the campaign without losing hundreds of men in one battle? Then I have no one left over! Any tips?

Default Re: Campaign tips

Well, your question certainly doesn't deal with campaign strategy, but rather your battle tactics. Since most of the units are usually infantry units, and depending on the faction (if you play a faction that takes part in the Trojan siege), make good use of the balance of your beginning armies at the Trojan war independent on the faction by doing features such as this: let the AI make the first move in any battle, put any of your missile troops in loose formation in front of your main infantry line and make sure they are in the skirmish mode, and use your chariots to distract and run around the opposing chariots, so their chariots will not harm the way of your main infantry line whenever the melee battle will begin - that is the first crucial part of the battle. Now, when the opposing army will get close enough, with your missile troops shooting the main melee infantry line of the opposing army, for some unknown reasons the AI sends it's melee forces to run into and chase your missile forces instead of the melee troops behind them. At this point, when they are close enough, your skirmishers/missile troops will run away (though some may not get away in time and you'll have to get them away manually, which will actually play to your advantage). This will leave enormous gaps in the opposing main infantry line and their forces highly in a disordered formation. This will give you enough momentum to quickly encircle a couple of the enemy melee units, and rout them in a very successive amount of time after which you can focus far more easily on the rest by following the same pattern. Remeber also that the opposing hero unit is ALWAYS on the their left side, from your point on right, and don't forget to pre-occupy the hero unit with your own. After you've routed at least most or all infantry units by the tactical pattern I just left for you, focus most of your infantry on helping your hero to defeat the opposing hero. This will cost you some slight numbers from my point of view, but will finish their hero far more quicker, and will preserve your own hero. This will kill the opposing hero rather quickly. After the death of the enemy hero, the battle is yours. The missile battle is rather insignificant if you simply keep the opposing missile forces occupied. Let me remind, this is just the way how I act. I keep my campaign and battle difficulty always on medium because in Aristeia, it's challenging enough. This has preserved me hundreds of soldiers, and many units. This keeps me always on the track of winning heroic victories and clear victories successively. I am sure this is old news for you, but I am only there to advice anybody who needs help. It took me time to get used to non-cavalry tactics in this mod, but I just compromised it by using other advantages. Lol.