Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Ancient Legacy" Ancient world RTS/City builder

Default Re: "Ancient Legacy" Ancient world RTS/City builder

Quote Originally Posted by Thesban The Great View Post
    I've recently been qualified in my certificate II in kitchen operations (was an apprentice chef for some time)
    Expert knowledge to simulate accurate food consumption of your civilization on a strategic level, I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    Expert knowledge to simulate accurate food consumption of your civilization on a strategic level, I see.
    Maybe..
    Interested in a alternative history fantasy mod? Iron Continent is your mod then!

signature by polymorphic

Just to follow up on Mitch. This sounds like the dreams of a teenager without any real experience coding/programming, or any real experience in any field apart from school studies really. Everyone should follow try to follow their dreams but you need to follow your dreams in a realistic fashion. If your goal is to make this game with such lofty ideals and multiple historical eras with multiple ancient civilizations to choose from there are dozens, if not hundreds, of difficult milestones that you need to work towards and accomplish before you can even begin making this game. I'm not saying its impossible for you be skilled enough to do this one day, but it is impossible to go from incapable of making this game today, or near incapable, to 100% capable within a couple years at university and anyone who tells you otherwise is not being truthful with you. You are focusing too much on the mountain summit rather than the part of the path in front of you right now.

Let me present you with a similar situation to illustrate the idea. When I was 15 years old I first started taking Spanish classes with no prior experience, just a requirement of school in the US. I always liked history and I soon got the idea into my head that I wanted to be able to read accounts of the conquistadors in the original Spanish, a similarly lofty goal to your dream game. First I had to memorize the alphabet pronunciation like a 5 year old, I had to memorize personal pronouns, direct objects, I had to learn the present tense of verbs. Then I had to learn the past tense, the future tense, ever more vocabulary and syntax etc. This goes on for the last 3 years of high school and I end up being able to fairly decently read Spanish text without much dictionary help or comprehension issues. Still, I cannot carry on a natural conversation in Spanish so the classes continue in university. I practice speaking on the fly, I write papers and essays in Spanish, I watch movies etc all the while going into more and more complicated grammar and syntax structures. Even still, I'm not there yet and so I study abroad in Spain for a semester my senior year and make even more progress. I graduate university and find a job in software where I have to discuss technical aspects of databases and financial/legal contracts in Spanish so now there is yet more new stuff I have to learn and understand.

Now, I'm 24 years old and I still wouldn't consider myself a master of Spanish. Can I do what I initially set out to do, read the conquistador's accounts in original Spanish? Yes, but that is because I spent a large portion of the past 9 years of my life doing the little things each and every day, starting from nothing and building up step by step to where I am now.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://[IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png[/IMG]

That's the way i achieve? why look at the smaller picture when you can aim for the bigger picture. I chop my goals into smaller manageable bits and work from there, why should i wait till uni to start learning basic software development? i didn't wait to finish half my chefs qualification so i'm not going to wait for this. I never said it was being released any time soon. I know my path and focus at the moment and i'm currently achieving that which is school. I know how to get to my goals and i'll do my best to them. I have a next to no experience but i understand some programming which is better than nothing at my age. So if you're going to try to put me off track of my goals because of my age it won't work, I've achieved a fair bit already so i'll keep going.
    Interested in a alternative history fantasy mod? Iron Continent is your mod then!

signature by polymorphic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12