Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: A new medieval city builder....

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: A new medieval city builder....

Tropico is completely different. While Tropico can be easy or hard depending upon situation, this game is very hard (at least for me). One wrong move and everything is gone.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

built too many houses and accepted too many nomads and now i'm running out of food

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Snuggans if I were you I would shut that quarry and fisheries down and surround the whole main town with farms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

That's a big number of houses. This is where the chain starvation starts, because even if you demolish the houses their inhabitants might be working to produce food. Once they die of cold, the food they produce dies with 'em.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

My little town.

All stone houses, roads are being upgraded, food is relatively stable at 20-30k with about 350 people.

There's a quarry to the west and a bunch of farms to the south that you can't see

Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

I don't know if this is just me, but this game sucks soooooo much of my time away from me, like last night, I thought I'd play for like an hour after writing some of my essay for Uni, next thing I know its 1 in the morning lol

Can someone help me on how to build 'colony' villages around my main town?

I am playing on a large map, and I thought it is time to populate it, and workers need homes near jobs or they walk too far to work, which requires building of small 'colonies' around my main city. Since this game was impossible for me as the uncurable chain starving began not long after beginning, I am playing with a hack that freezes resources...which I will turn off once the colony gets running up.

What buildings should I build to start a colony somewhere? I've built some houses, farms and a ranch. Are the people living near farms going to take the food directly from the farm, or do I need to put a storage barn? Do these small, semi-isolated villages need their own woodcutter, blacksmith, herbalist and tailor?

Also, after putting the barn in the colony, will the farmers living there focus on putting their harvest in that barn, or walk all the way to the main town to do it? Will the people use the neighbouring barn for their meals and clothes, or they too will walk back and forth to the town? Will the people from main town march into the far-away colony to dump their goods?

And overall, how many people should be living in a colony town, and in how many houses?

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post

What buildings should I build to start a colony somewhere? I've built some houses, farms and a ranch. Are the people living near farms going to take the food directly from the farm, or do I need to put a storage barn? Do these small, semi-isolated villages need their own woodcutter, blacksmith, herbalist and tailor?
    if there is no marketplace, the people will go to the nearest storage barn so yes you will need to build barns. the colony villages don't necessarily need their own woodcutter/herbalist/tailor/blacksmith but they will need what those buildings produce, otherwise your worker will just walk back to the main village to get it. only marketplace vendors will gather these things from other barns and marketplaces in the area, so you can have more than one central point where workers can gather things for their homes.

Also, after putting the barn in the colony, will the farmers living there focus on putting their harvest in that barn, or walk all the way to the main town to do it?
    depends on the location of the barn. when a worker can't carry any more in their inventory they will walk to the nearest barn or stockpile to drop it off. so yes if you put a barn in the colony they will use that. some exceptions can include buildings like hunter cabins since they have a wide radius where the worker paths. if the worker's inventory becomes full and there happens to be another barn that's closer than the one you put in the colony, they will walk to that one instead.

Will the people use the neighbouring barn for their meals and clothes, or they too will walk back and forth to the town?
    as long as that barn has all the goods they require they won't walk back to the town.

Will the people from main town march into the far-away colony to dump their goods?
    again depends on the location of barns and stockpiles. they will walk to the nearest one when they are done gathering or when they are carrying too much.

And overall, how many people should be living in a colony town, and in how many houses?
    depends on how much production you've got going in that colony. if you've got a lot of production you're going to need more people living nearby, otherwise people from the main town will start walking over to fill in.

Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    if there is no marketplace, the people will go to the nearest storage barn so yes you will need to build barns. the colony villages don't necessarily need their own woodcutter/herbalist/tailor/blacksmith but they will need what those buildings produce, otherwise your worker will just walk back to the main village to get it. only marketplace vendors will gather these things from other barns and marketplaces in the area, so you can have more than one central point where workers can gather things for their homes.

depends on the location of the barn. when a worker can't carry any more in their inventory they will walk to the nearest barn or stockpile to drop it off. so yes if you put a barn in the colony they will use that. some exceptions can include buildings like hunter cabins since they have a wide radius where the worker paths. if the worker's inventory becomes full and there happens to be another barn that's closer than the one you put in the colony, they will walk to that one instead.

as long as that barn has all the goods they require they won't walk back to the town.

again depends on the location of barns and stockpiles. they will walk to the nearest one when they are done gathering or when they are carrying too much.

depends on how much production you've got going in that colony. if you've got a lot of production you're going to need more people living nearby, otherwise people from the main town will start walking over to fill in.
    Great, this was very helpful. Thank you, mate.

But since this game doesn't model the flow of goods (mining colony exporting iron to the hometown, in return of grain to feed miners, for example), the 'colonies' I am thinking about and planning to build are nothing but a bunch of wooden houses, sitting around a barn, with a woodcutter and forester nearby, along with the a gatherer and a farm/ranch. Basically, a tiny self-sustaining community similar to the one we get during the start at easy difficulty.

Would that kind of setup work?

I'm afraid there will be visitors from hometown walking to snatch food from the colony in when food is low, or the colony villagers going on long-distance hikes to the main town to grab iron tools...but I think grabbing iron tools would be acceptable.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Is this moddable?

Protector Domesticus

With the release of the Steam workshop for this game and thus tons of modding options, anyone having another go at this game?

Sorry for the necro

Quote Originally Posted by SLN445 View Post
    With the release of the Steam workshop for this game and thus tons of modding options, anyone having another go at this game?

Sorry for the necro
    I certainly will, it would be nice if people created new buildings for the game, or more skins for the current ones

Protector Domesticus

looks like there are a few new interesting buildings, cant wait to see what people come up with.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Great, I quit playing because at a certain time you've got that "been there, done that" feeling regarding everything survival related, but there wasn't enough basic city-building options; and it seems the early mods are already starting to address that.
    Gonna give it a few months to let the mod scene mature, maybe get some overhauls or compilations going but this could seriously start scratching that Caesar III/Pharaoh itch.

edit: looking at what a guy named red-ketchup is making I won't need to wait months, rather days.
    Last edited by Manco; November 06, 2014 at 10:32 AM.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

It's 50% off on Steam right now, by the way. For anyone reading this, interested and not having it yet.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

that colonial charter turbo looks nice, but i probably still wont start it back up. You could quickly figure out the optimum (or at least very efficient) build, and from then there was little to do or happen, even with speed 10.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

As a member of a site dedicated to modding I decided to test out this 3 week old modding project called Colonial Charter 1.0.

The first thing I noticed was that Banished was still the good old lovable game with the calm music, but with quite a lot more options as to what to build. From 27 buildings to 47 buildings, 52 if you include the upgrades. That's not counting the cosmetics and fences! Fences that limits your citizens to actually use the tunnels rather than walk across the mountain like Vanilla was like! More animals, more items, more crops. If you want to try modding and want the Stainless Steel/Darthmod of Banished then this is the mod. It's a very young modding community and the tools are very restrictive, but the mod have charmed me to clocked in twice as many hours into this mod as I did with vanilla.

You're still right eXistenZ. The game is hard coded so that random events is the only thing to negativly effect your city late game. Perhaps as the community grows, more modders will mean better mods. The thing about Colonial Charter is that there is basically double the content, so to get to late game is more complex. It took me 150 freaking days to get 2 lamas.

tl;dr Are the modding tolls limited? Yes. Do I recommend Colonial Charter? Yes. Here is a soon to be outdated preview of 1.0. The 1.1 is scheduled to come soon. I heard rumors that they will be implementing whales and more control over the resources.

​~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; November 15, 2014 at 05:00 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Yeah Quill18 did a stream on it today, and it looked really nice. Especially the larger variation. Who knows, maybe on a calm day I might try it. the game is certainly very nice for being made by one person, and now with a gog sale going on and modds being released, it isnt a bad buy, I certainly had my hours of fun with it.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hello All.

Just thought id mention a few new features from the many that are coming in the next version to be released soon.

• We have redesigned the way "Alcohol" such as Ale and Wine works, instead of the tavern being the building where these items are produced, we have an upcoming location that will cater for the needs of consuming alcohol and pipe tobacco etc. We have also added a new type of building for making a new assortment of alcohol items (this was in fact a building purchased with donations from kind people and we have redesigned it to fit the mod theme, it is just lovely - thank you to those wonderful people!). The tavern as we know it now will be re-purposed... you will have to see but we think you will enjoy the new system as it adds more flexibility and variety.
    • There are more decorative items coming.
    • We have a very special and unique building type coming, I am sure it will make a wonderful decorative addition to any town and it is very useful.
    • We have developed a new type of fuel, that somehow works with certain organics. We even worked out how to make it stack on a stockpile similar to how firewood does.
    • There are some exotic new food types that are very interesting and have nothing to do with pastures, orchards or crops.
    • There are new orchard/crops coming. We particularly enjoy how a new orchard looks, it is unlike anything Banished has to date. We have made the trees individually plantable because they will be a beautiful addition to any town.
    • There are new recipes at existing buildings, some of which require new crops.
    • The traders will be balanced significantly.
    • There are multiple new product chains, I wont tell you what they are but not every advanced building is going to need ropes in the future
    • Some of the existing buildings from the mod as you know it now have had an aesthetic makeover.

This is just an example of the new content coming in the next release, we wouldnt want to spoil you by telling you too much!

Also we should say I dont think we can answer any questions about this information, the release is very close so you will just have to see for yourself.

Well, thats about all we will say for now. Hope you enjoy it when it is released and please come visit to share some pictures of your lovely towns!

~ Shock
    Source

This mod deserves all the attention it can get.

​~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.