Thread: [Advertisement] Final name - "Total War: Rise of Mordor"

Default [Advertisement] Final name - "Total War: Rise of Mordor"

???Total War: Rise of Mordor???

Yeah, everyone who'll read this will ask this comprehensible question. And here the statement of the development team:

Four reason why we changed the name

1. with regard to the opportunity maybe to move to Attila if it's convincing we needed a much more flexible name

2. "Total War: Rise of Mordor" sounds much more official and represents the project perfectly

3. the name has less words than "Rome 2: Lord of the Rings" and all in all it can be used more individually especially in artworks and the UI design

4. "TW:RoM" is a simple, adjustable shortcut (could be for example used as "RoM:TW", too)

Last edited by Vikus van de Merwe; November 16, 2014 at 05:50 AM.
    ------------- under the patronage of wangrin --------------

~~~~~~~ Total War: Rise of Mordor at ModDB ~~~~~~~

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Final name - "Total War: Rise of Mordor"

Is it a "Rise of Mordor" or the "Fall of Mordor" ?
    Technically, LotR is about the "War of the Ring" (or "War of the One Ring") that mark the "Fall of Sauron" and the "End of the Third Age".

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Like in the movies the mod shall begin with the "Rise of Mordor". At first Mordor and Sauron seemed to be defeated but in hidden places they reached more and more power to grow into a real danger for whole Middle-Earth again. So our name is based on the situation and happenings at the beginning.
    A very supporting point is here that the fate of Middle-Earth isn't told then. So in the end we get a Total War mod where the player can try to decide if the well known Middle-Earth will be ruined or not. In reason of this there's no stated end from the beginning, no matter which faction you would play.

Did you just take "Shadow of Mordor" and replaced Shadow wtih Rise?

you might have copyright problems...

Oh no, we didn't use "Shadow of Mordor" to replace it with "Rise". And I consider we won't have copyright problems with the name because it's weird if the company would complain of copyrights because we use "of Mordor" in a project name.

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

We had a lot of concepts for mod name and we've tried to escape anything regarding copyrights. This is actually one more reason why we changed it from lotr
    AFAIK Fall of the Sauron and Mordor as well was the begining of the Fourth age and the end of the Third age. Before, in the begining of the Third age kingdom of Arnor has been defeated, Nazguls have returned, Necromancer poped up in Dol Guldur, amount of orcs has growed up, endless battles for Umbar, Easterlings, Corsairs and Southrons have joined Mordor as allies, Civil War in Gondor, Great Plague. Control over Mordor is taken by orcs and Nazguls so during the whole age Mordor's power was growing and growing untill the One Ring has been destroyed(even after Gondor's victory on Pelennor fields was not enough to defeat Mordor). So yes, Rise of Mordor

Why this name fits to the Atilla and why we're thinking about jumping to the new TW Atilla:
    - Atilla has "apocalypse" style of the game which is good for Mordor. Sauron's idea is to take control over all ME;
    - Family Trees. Families were rly important in factions like Gondor, Arnor, Elven and Dwarven ones;
    - Cultures and Religions are used for alliances and world-balancing of the factions;
    - Battles with burning effects on battle and campaign map. No comments just nice improvement;
    - Barricades. Good tactical improvement;
    - Rome 2 doesnt have such tools as campaign map and battle map editing which are higher priority. We almost sure it won't have such official tools ever;
    - Any content we can mod at the moment with Rome II is easy to run over TW Atilla(units, 2d graphics, DB and music);
    - Rome 2 has 'bad' reputation between all TW series
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; November 16, 2014 at 07:05 AM.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Vikus van de Merwe View Post
    Oh no, we didn't use "Shadow of Mordor" to replace it with "Rise". And I consider we won't have copyright problems with the name because it's weird if the company would complain of copyrights because we use "of Mordor" in a project name.
    Well, ask the same question to the "Call of Warhammer" team But LOTR mods are here for quite long time so I guess you won't have much problems
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Default Re: [Advertisement] Final name - "Total War: Rise of Mordor"

Just so you guys know, if any of us do get hit with copyright it will be over intellectual property, and not have anything to do with the name (most likely).

If I got the idea behind this mod correctly - you say you want it to be "similar to TATW" - , I´d say the new name doesn´t really fit it; at least as long as the mod´s focus does not mainly lay on a Mordor-faction (to "rise").
    If all factions have equal priority, I believe it is better to name the mod a tad more "neutral". 'Rise of Mordor' sounds like a dlc to me.
    However, I understand you don´t want to use a generic name but want some differentiation against the other lotr-related mods.
    I would suggest something like 'ME:The Ring War' (the obligatory 'TW' can be spared), if you believe 'TW:lotr' sounds to common.

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Well, we tried not to use next names: Lord of the Rings, Middle-Earth, Third Age, Shadow of Mordor, War of the Ring - everything that directly refers to the WB or other mods. Also we had to choose short name which would fit to the UI(Lord of the Rings already was long one). One of ideas was Kingdoms of "smth" but not ME..
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; November 20, 2014 at 12:57 PM.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

To be honest I really like this TW:ROM name
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

I don't know if my voice counts for anything, but I agree with KAM 2150 ^^