Thread: House Rules Questions

Default House Rules Questions

Hi, I wanted to clarify a few things.

Can the 1 praetorian legion be used in combat and on the front, or does it have to stay in Rome?

When I siege a settlement, I usually remove my two cavalry units and replace them with onagers or ballistas etc. Can I ever use more then two artillery pieces ? If so, what would be the limit.

Regarding legion compositions, if I'm fighting against Scythia or Parthia for example, could I replace the two light auxilia and use four archers? Or does that make it less of a challenge and upset the balance of the legion?

Thanks

Default Re: House Rules Questions

The success of the Roman military is mostly attributed to their ability to adapt. So if you decide you need more archers for a certain enemy, why not?

Oh I know their very adaptable I'm speaking more in terms of gameplay balance. When Lt wrote that it's 2 light aux and 2 archers , is that up for flexibility or not . In other words can the play have 400 plus arrows at his disposal or only 320 from 2 units

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

i believe the archer units cannot be switched like that and the praetorian legion can be used on the front HOWEVER lt has said before he created those rules as a GUIDELINE for those who want to play the way he does and the way he made the mod to be enjoyed, but its just that, a guideline. Its your game - you do whatever is fun, interesting, and challenging for yourself.
    Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    R2 is a deeply flawed, partially completed, hastily assembled, sub-par product.

Siege is not a problem in used Archers or siege weapons. Basically what you do is have your standard Legion and then have extra units following along for sieges etc. Then shuffle them to front for sieges and then retreat them back to have infantry arrive for the assault. This is done because of the 20 unit limit that doesn't exist in the newer games.

Praetorian Legion can be used on the front but only with FACTION LEADER, like a Caesar YOU can use what you want with your existing Legion, as long as you keep the 10 Cohort unit, this allows for 5 archers if needed or 4 javelinmen etc. Every enemy needs different tactics, but when you make Half the army Archers again barbarians in battle that is just a cheat. Sieges its ok to have almost ALL of the first wave to be missile and siege units, then retreat them back for the infantry, but not for field use.

Hope this Horse Mouth gives you what you need? :-)
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Much appreciated, thanks Lt !