Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ascension New SciFi show Spoilers

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Default Ascension New SciFi show Spoilers

IGN review

Aired last night. I thought it was a great show up until the end. Once again Hard SciFi is back on SciFi
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    but to find out this is all just an experiment and they are not really in space just ruins all of it. I was expecting a show where they are traveling for a century but they wont ever discover a new world. So where is this show going? Will these people who grew up on this ship just be re-released into society? Or into Mental asylums?
    Last edited by MathiasOfAthens; December 16, 2014 at 02:22 PM.

Default Re: Ascension New SciFi show

Why would you not spoiler that bit of information?

Default Re: Ascension New SciFi show

Thought bout it...

Decided against it.

Should of wrote spoilers in title.

Default Re: Ascension New SciFi show Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    IGN review

Aired last night. I thought it was a great show up until the end. Once again Hard SciFi is back on SciFi
    but to find out this is all just an experiment and they are not really in space just ruins all of it. I was expecting a show where they are traveling for a century but they wont ever discover a new world. So where is this show going? Will these people who grew up on this ship just be re-released into society? Or into Mental asylums?
    It's a psychology experiment conspiracy theory show.
    Fun times.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

If you're paying attention, which I was only half heartedly, the Trumanesque aspect gets hinted at by Christy's very vocal paranoia, and the revelation in real time of the murder back home, which would either indicate as ESPesque aspect, or that it was an elaborate biodome, but that's only about ten minutes before the end.

Neither the plot nor the story is really compelling; the set looked too bleached and streamlined, and missing the sixties vibe. I don't think that the technology of that time could have pulled off this elaborate hoax, though the possibility that the simulation went through periodic upgrades is certainly possible.

It was at best a sociological experiment.

Perhaps the series will grow on me; perhaps season two will be the government hunting down the involuntary enacters to silence them after they escape the simulation.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

The previews to the show advertise it as what it sounds. A spaceship launched to another galaxy. Its like when they were making the pilot the changed their minds at the last minute.

How many people are planning on coming to this thread if they have not seen the show?

If I understand the concept correctly, the real reason given for the continuation of the project, is that six hundred people cooped up with practically no distractions will think outside the box and invent any number of commercial products.

I prefer the Area Fifty One theory of technological advancement from alien salvage.

What the story does remind me of is Herbert's The Dosadi Experiment, where the hothouse conditions of a prison world creates the most ruthless and innovative members of their respective race.

As the necklace demonstrates, the current director is more hands on, and suffers from an infatuation, possibly manipulating events within the ship beyond sockblocking their curiousity of the outside.

And apparently, there is an ESP aspect.

And speaking of cliched scripts ...

So two days after episode ends we can talk outside of spoiler captions?

Last nights episode opened up another possibility. Did the XO just get teleported to another world? Hard to say if that wasnt another world with 2 suns? Maybe the long term goal is to teleport the whole ship and the people inside wont notice anything different?

MacCarthy's Avatar Miles

Not sure where this show was going or the wonky cliff hanger ending.
    Seemed a bit like a Steven King story expecting Charlie to burn the bad guys up.

Speaking of Herbert, looks like they found the Kwisatz Haderach.

Ascension may actually refer to the objective that of their eugenics programme trying to breed Espers.

It was all just a mini series guess we have to wait a year to see if Sci-Fi will pick it up. And if they do... they will cancel it after it becomes popular.

It was all just a mini series guess we have to wait a year to see if Sci-Fi will pick it up. And if they do... they will cancel it after it becomes popular.
    in order to be able to show more wrestling and ghost hunters.

If you ever find violence doesn't solves anything, you haven't used enough.

If Sci-Fi wants to actually go back to their roots you might be surprised.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

How would I be surprised? What do you mean?

@greyfox: Got to make the money somewhere to show those money makers.

Sci-Fi has cancelled so many great shows. I can only think of Stargate Destiny right now but I am sure there are more.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I just watched this yesterday.

After the initial twist it did become an enjoyable show, and I honestly hope to see more.

But that twist...Man.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Sci-Fi has cancelled so many great shows. I can only think of Stargate Destiny right now but I am sure there are more.
    SGD was hardly what I'd call great. Now the timing of Atlantis on the other hand...
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

SG Universe was a blasphemy and we should never speak of it imo. Still waiting for remake of SG-1 and Atlantis, really.

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Stargate is one of the great sci-fi franchises and it has been treated so wrong by companies...

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Liked the film, really disliked the series. Had a friend that bought the DVDs and watched religiously; came to the conclusion it was too juvenile.

Speaking of juvenile, second season of The Hundred surprisingly isn't, and is shaping up to be one of the better scifi shows yet produced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast