Thread: Walls Are Walls! (The siege balancing project

Default Walls Are Walls! (The siege balancing project

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to my big debut in the modding community. Aside from a few tiny mods for unit sizes in Rome 2.

I have taken it upon myself to pursue balancing out the sieges of Attila. Now what exactly do I mean by balancing? Well, I will not be touching any unit stats since I love the battle speed of Attila as it is right now. I also will not be touching much, if anything at all, of those scandalously sexy nomadic factions either...if I can help it, or any faction for that matter!

What I hope to achieve is making the walls and and actual structure of sieges, no pun intended, both realistic and interesting. I will be producing what we can all hopefully hope is a long line of very very popular modifications.

Now for the matter currently at hand which is Walls being walls. Walls are suppose to be walls dammit and I am sick and tired of CA thinking otherwise! When people dedicate their entire life and a handful of slaves to a defensive structure, they don't like them to dissolve like the USSR. My mod is nothing new since Magnar beat me to the punch (love his work by the way), but to be honest I took his idea and sort of ran with it. I have increased wall, tower, and gate hit points over 5 times their original value.

Changes in gameplay:

• Each wall sections will require at least 4 large onagers to take down. And they won't have any ammo left over either.
    • Each stone tower will take half of a large onager's ammo. This is so the onager isn't useless after one tower.

What I hope to achieve is a balance and change up in strategy. More focus towards the artillery being used to roll over walls rather than through them while wall breaches become rare and expensive. Gates have also been buffed to promote cover fire from artillery before charging men up to the gates where they would otherwise be shot to death.

Aside from all of these new habits, free of charge, it should allow the new siege escalation feature to be a bit more useful, and players may consider carrying artillery around now.

Leave any comments below so that I can gather info on how the balance is working out for people. Otherwise, please enjoy the mod. I will hopefully be able to delight you with more soon.

Stronger_Fortifications.7z
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stronger_Fortifications.jpg  

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Walls Are Walls! (The siege balancing project

Welcome to the modding scene !
    Hope to see more of this :3

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Sounds good, I haven't had a campaign yet to really comment, but whole point of city walls in this period was defence. So good stuff.

Also, forgot to mention that barricades have been increased substantially. Magnar's still had them die in a few second due to the nature of how soldiers damage the structure. I may increase their hit points further in the future.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

This shouldn't cause any crashes or anything like that? I've just got ATW and I think I'm gonna let it be a while before I try out the mods.

I'd really like to see (and may take it up myself, or at least my team) constructable walls make a return to the game. I don't know your personal modding areas, but with the new map tools, I'm hoping this is one of the real possibilities that opens up. Though minor settlements, from my quick playthroughs, are improved. Still not good enough in my view.

Anyway, nice work with this. Thanks.

Thank you so much or the feed back and I am primarily looking into the scripting mechanics of the battles. Map design will not be on my priority list, but I may look into custom maps eventually. I will be tampering with the fire values soon though and hopefully set the playing field for some very big changes for the better. Also, I have a link to my tower mod since towers are way too OP:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ncing-project)

Update: Cleaned up the tables to look nicer for the future.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Minor settlements get walls on the last level of the building chain i think.

Update: Increased barricade health to 200000. Take an actual amount of time to break down now.
    Attached Files Attached Files