Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ptolemics

Default Ptolemics

Here is where you will find all the units for the Ptolemics

Hoplite
    This is a complete new model, and texture which I realy like I hope you do to. I do need to create a new sheild design and change some parts of the texture, but im still, looking into the Ptolemic sheild designs. If you know of any sites which have about the Ptolemics then please say!

Default Re: Ptolemics

Looks good - need to make sure you don't up too many of the available model slots though - we're nearly at the limit (only 11 left).

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Yea but we could erase some of the older, no so good looking units eg the black swordsman

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Hey, don't mess with my Greek Swordsman!!! Serously, you don't understand what Tone is saying. If you just 'erase' a unit, you 'erase' a unit common to NINE FACTIONS. If you do that, then you need to make nine variations to replace it, otherwise you cause a unit imbalance for everyone.

Also, I can't say I'm wild about the yellow look of these. It doesn't play well because it's so bright. Look at the pics here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58880 and you'll see what I mean. I want units to be not just functional, but esthetically pleasing as well. Remember that these people had great military pride, like the British and Americans and Romans. There is historical evidence in abundance that soldiers of this time, like ours, wanted to look good when they fought. The Spartans 'combed their hair' before they fought, and had extreme pride in how they looked. The Praetorians had two sets of uniforms, one for battle, and one for show that they wore to parade around the streets to impress people.

So please, put more focus on making existing units better...and if you come up with a new one, it better be astounding for me to take nine units away from all the other factions that use it.

The 'Black Swordsman' you mention is actually just a standard 'elite hoplite' skin that somebody made a new .cas file for so it would wear it's shield on it's back and fight with two swords. Compare these two:

The first is the 'Greek Swordsman', the latter is an Elite Hoplite. The texture is exactly the same, the .cas file is the only difference. You could give the greek swordsman BACK the right .cas file for it, and create a whole new line of nine different looking units, give them different stats in EDU.txt, and call them 'Alexandrian Royal Hoplites' or whatever you liked. This wouldn't actually ADD any units to DMB, because it just replaces an existing one. Does this make sense?

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Been looking at those for a while...hopefully they are released soon but who knows....only for spqr from what i get....maybe if we asked ??

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58880

Ben

"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
    - General George Patton

Too blue for me!

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Patrician

I'm not suggesting blue....just not yellow....

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Tone, you've done something amazing with the romans, i'm sure you could do some magic with caesar on those models....i'm just dreaming but they do look very good, you have to agree

- General George Patton

I can change the colour of the model and i would be willing to make an array of variations. I just think that this model looks better and has more quality to them. (No offence, to your unit) but i wanted to give this mod the best qquality of unit model, and texture much like the romans tone has created

you have set me a challenge and I’m going to prove to you that this unit can replace another, poorer looking unit.

For example, these are only poor, and quickly made skins, but the variant makes the unit look completely different and has some good quality to them. I will improve there skins father to make them look superb, and will create a new skin for every faction that the old unit belonged to, (if not more)

Ptolemics?

Seleucid?

Now if you do agree I could improve everything on them, the armour, skin, clothing, give each one a unique shield and the list continues. These are only 2 and I have loads of different ideas for them and could veriate them completely

Believe me the finished product could look amazing!

I hope I’ve gave you enough persuasion for you to agree

WHOAAHH!! stickied-threads galore!!! ...its a developers forum, all thesse threads dont need to be kept stickied to inform anyone, and its not like the threads are going to get lost in the whole two pages we have, plus they will be regularly updated.
    Meh..sorry, just like things neat. Oh and who sticked them? I thought only dvk and the now-suspended "Narses" had moderating powers here...
    What do we mean by patriotism in the context of our times? I venture to suggest that what we mean is a sense of national responsibility ... a patriotism which is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.

Hey caesar,

Well first off i didnt want to offend you or anything, but it's good to see what you've done and i'm sure you can make very nice units. I just posted the other one to give us an idea and see what's done "next door".

I am by no mean a modeller or skinner, so thumbs up if you can do something to improve the visual quality of RS, i'm happy you're onboard

Thats a freaking long pike ..... lol
    Last edited by ben259; January 14, 2007 at 10:20 AM.

- General George Patton

double post..

- General George Patton

Ben don’t worry I like criticism, it motivates me into doing better. You haven’t offended me at all. I agree with you that tone has done some amazing work, but I bet he’s been modding for a lot longer than me. I’m still only new.

I just want to get this and some other units I have done into this mod, for I feel that they once I have finished with them that they will look outstanding. And i think that you would agree that a small minority of the units in RS have poor, basic models and skins and that these units when finished will replace them perfectly.

The only real reason I haven’t yet completely finished the unit is because of what keeps happening (Tone seems to have already finished many of the skins) I don’t want to spend ages on a unit and find out there’s no room for it

Yeah i totally understand and I hate the duplication of work and loss of time as much as the next guy.Being in the military, i know all about loss of time lol. It might be a good idea once we get v1 to go thru all the unit that need the more work and see what unit we have "in the shop" from other sources, s_o_r, etc.. and then see what we can do with the amount of new units we can put in. 11 spots left if i remember from a previous post.

Also, I was thinking about having 1 person per faction to beta test v1, so we dont all spend time with the romans(i know i want to) so we can check for bugs and development quicker and again not duplicate our efforts.Any thoughts ?

DVK, any news ?

- General George Patton

yea or get two people from the public to spend time on just one faction and then two on another and so on so that we get everything perfect

Patrician

I stickied these.....I know they didn't NEED to be, but it helps me to find things easier and keep track of stuff.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Do you think I should carry on with these? I think I should because when there finished I believe that the will be perfect for this mod. I could create one of these units for each Greek faction. And the armour, shield and clothing etc will be different for all. Its up to you DVK but i think you should pull out a poor looking unit or even use up one of the spaces. For I could make this unit stretch for all the Greeks to have.

Patrician

The reason the 'Greek Swordsman' is in the game, no matter how poor, is that the Greek military needs to have a more modern unit to reflect the change from a militarily obsolete 'phalanx' style warfare to a more 'roman' style in order to compete in this mod later in the game. Some of the factions have a 'Greek Legionary', which is pure fantasy of course, but I wanted to give these factions a fighting chance against the Roman Legions....Hoplites and pikeman just don't do that well and historically were crushed by Rome. Your unit looks like a hoplite or a pikeman, of which there are many in the mod. I like the unit OK, it's just that you're not replacing 'kind with kind' in my opinion.

If the Greek Swordsman is so ugly, make him prettier! Or come up with a better unit that's a Greek Swordsman to replace the greek swordsman.

If you want to replace hoplites or pikeman, then this unit above is fine, but must be available in some form where that replaces a unit used by other factions. And if you are going to offer new units, for all of our sakes, please explain what the unit is, what it's capabilities are (weapons), fighting style and what .cas file it uses. This will make it much easier to decide whether it can be used. Just post a little snippet like this:

type greek_hoplite_militia
    skeleton fs_slow_spearman ; combat spear
    indiv_range 40
    texture macedon, data/models_unit/textures/wbb/unit_hoplite_linotor_brnze_mtmac.tga
    texture seleucid, data/models_unit/textures/wbb/unit_hoplite_linotor_mtseleu.tga
    texture greek_cities, data/models_unit/textures/wbb/unit_hoplite_linotor_mtgreek.tga
    texture romans_julii, data/models_unit/textures/wbb/UNIT_WBB_MILITIA_HOPLITE_MACEDON03.TGA
    texture romans_scipii, data/models_unit/textures/wbb/UNIT_GREEK_MILITIA_HOPLITE_SLAVE2.TGA
    texture thrace, data/models_unit/textures/wbb/unit_hoplite_linotor_mttrace.tga
    texture slave, data/models_unit/textures/unit_greek_militia_hoplite_macedon.tga
    texture britons, data/models_unit/textures/wbb/unit_hoplite_linotor_slave.tga
    texture numidia, data/models_unit/textures/new/unit_greek_militia_hoplite_greek.tga
    model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_greek_hoplite_militia_high.cas, 15
    model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_greek_hoplite_militia_med.cas, 30
    model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_greek_hoplite_militia_low.cas, 40
    model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_greek_hoplite_militia_lowest.cas, max
    model_sprite slave, 60.0, data/sprites/slave_greek_hoplite_militia_sprite.spr
    model_sprite britons, 60.0, data/sprites/slave_greek_hoplite_militia_sprite.spr
    model_sprite thrace, 60.0, data/sprites/thrace_greek_hoplite_militia_sprite.spr
    model_sprite greek_cities, 60.0, data/sprites/wbb_greek_hoplite_sprite.spr
    model_sprite romans_julii, 60.0, data/sprites/seleucid_greek_hoplite_militia_sprite.spr
    model_sprite romans_scipii, 60.0, data/sprites/wbb_greek_hoplite_sprite.spr
    model_sprite seleucid, 60.0, data/sprites/seleucid_greek_hoplite_militia_sprite.spr
    model_sprite macedon, 60.0, data/sprites/macedon_greek_hoplite_militia_sprite.spr
    model_sprite numidia, 60.0, data/sprites/thrace_greek_hoplite_militia_sprite.spr
    model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

showing what it uses so that my ignorant self can see how it would fit into things. OK?

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Got ya! Oh i thought if you wish to have some swordsmen, which im all up for then maybe we could use a spirt of ROBs model (ive already got permission) and i could create some textures so it can be used by all the greeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast