Thread: Any risk of recieving a cease and desist?

Icon5 Any risk of recieving a cease and desist?

My thoughts go to MERP, but here is hoping that it never happens

Default Re: Any risk of recieving a cease and desist?

I don't think WB are developping a lotr turn based / real time strategy game so risk is pretty low. The c&d for merp was probably due to shadow of mordor.

Aedh's Avatar Libertus

Fingers crossed.

I was really disappointed after what happened to MERP. But, as far as I know, the TATW team didn't have any problems with Warner/Tolkien Estate, so I think this mod should be fine.
    And, as Grimnir said, they're not developping a strategy game similar to the TW series, so coming after our dear modders would probably be a waste of time. Especially if it ends in court.

Indefinitely Banned

I wanted to play MERP so bad! I am so sorry for them and their mod. :'(...But I think that this mod will not have any problems like MERP had..

As someone who has received a C&D letter from Tolkien in 2003 for a mod of an RPG, and then worked on a LOTR mod for a later TW game, I can say... it's completely depending on who makes the call when they notice this/if they notice this.
    Son of the Ancient Archaon, House of Siblesz

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

If we look in steam workshop we can see tonns of stuff there and nothing closes them. We will try to make it smart.

I sincerely hope that whatever stupid bureaucrat paid to cause trouble somehow gets it in his head that this mod infringes on the Tolkien estate's income stream, receives a cease and desist letter from the Kafka estate.

Wintercross's Avatar Libertus

Technically, being a free mod should mean they couldn't really do anything as it would fall under fair use. C&D's are mostly to make people afraid of litigation and back down.

The only reason I think WB threw a C&D at MERP was because they were concerned it would affect their sales of Shadow of Mordor.... Funny considering MERP would have been more lore accurate than the horrible mess that is SoM... I mean, it's a fun game but my god it craps all over LOTR Lore....

Indefinitely Banned

You are right.. I enjoyed SoM cos of the gameplay but the lore was very bad..They we could say made up a lot of things.. And I am rly sad cos of MERP it could be a great mod

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

We know about risks and we're trying to have no copyright problems. That's why we creating own music, don't take any screens and images from films and other stuff. So even if it looks/sounds like in the films it was made by us.
    Closed.
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; March 16, 2015 at 04:12 AM.